Heritage Owners Club

Practice amps

skydog52

Well I finally did it and ended up getting 2 amps. I purchased a Blues Junior and have

a new version of the G-DEC on order. I love the Blues Junior, nice tone.

Thank You to everyone that helped with their suggestions.

Back to playing

HMMM...I'm suprised by the bugera 5 watt not sounding very good. For a straight practice amp at $135, i think its tough to beat.

I plug into that little monster quite often to practice or if playing with a sax player or something...but here's a disclaimer. I use Line 6 POD PRO straight into the Mac for BIAB type practicing and can drop it in front of any number of my amps if I need different sounds/styles. SO I'm not really looking for something to be versitile just sound decent and not piss-off the wife when I practice.

• 1 month later...

My vote is for Roland Cube. They make them in several sizes and they sound good. My little Micro Cube Battery powered amp is fun to take outside and play in the backyard or on the deck.

I had a Line 6 and eventually sold it. I initially enjoyed all of the features and channel options but I never liked the sound of it. In addition, the channels would bleed into each other

I'm a firm believer in you gotta try before you buy. Unfortunately, that has extended my search greatly. One that I have had a chance to try out is a Reason Bambino. It was pretty cool, switchable between 2 and 8 watts, two channels with a stack mode to run them both in series. If you get a chance, try it out.

+1 on the Roland Microcube. A great little practice amp with loads of good tones.

For a 'tube' option, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Orange Tiny Terror. It comes in head or combo form and switches between 7 and 15 watts. Plug your Heritage into one, crank the gain a bit and try to stop smiling! B)

Can you get Blackstar gear in the USA? It's made here in the UK by some guys who worked for Marshall. They have a range of tube driven overdrive and distortion pedals and a range of amps too. They do a 5 watt tube head/combo which sounds amazing and in the 'stack' form is cool as hell.

post-2065-1273534077_thumb.jpg

Lots of great 5W and under tube amps out there. Some really pricey like the Carr Raleigh which is a great little amp, to the fairly pricey, Swart Space Tone and Space Tone Reverb, Xits X4, to a number of less expensive tube options in the 5W category and under. Some brands to look at are Blackheart, Blackstar, Orange. One you might look at that is bigger but has a master volume that is useful is the Egnater Tweaker. 15Watts but really versatile tube amp at a great price.

As no-one has mentioned it so far, the Vox Night Train. Tiny but with a huge, unmistakeably Vox sound.

+1 on the Blackstar HT-5 also.

Archived