Heritage Owners Club

How to protect the nitrocellulose finish from damage from a regular guitar stand?

strings2wood

I was given timely advice (from Greg Chicoris) based on his knowledge/ experience of the nitrocellulose finish on Heritage guitars.

His advice included:

avoid those cheap guitar stands that have that black cushy stuff (or the pale rubbery stuff) on them,

as they will react with the nitrocellulose on the guitar and leave sticky stains on it that can't be removed.

to avoid guitar polish that contains silicone.

that Stewart McDonald sells "Preservation Polish" which is perfectly safe for heritage guitars.

Nitrocellulose is a rather delicate finish and is more susceptible to drastic temperature changes.

Eventually over time, all nitro-finished guitars will "finish check" , but you can keep this from happening for a long time if you treat the guitar with care.

I trust his advice implicitly but then wondered how do I solve the guitar stand problem, especially playing live with more than one guitar (if the other guitar isn't a Heritage?)

What type of stand/ or modifications have others made to avoid damaging the finish?

I want to play live and it seems as though the Heritage will need it's own stand (albeit modified).

Please let me know what types of stands/ mods you use to maintain/ protect the finish on your Heritage/s. Pictures/ berand names most welcome!

Simon in Melbourne.

I've been concerned about this.

My thoughts have been to use some fur fabric and get my wife to sew up a couple of long tubes which I can then slip over the rubbery bits. You can also choose a colour to match your stand, or even your guitar.

It should work and be kind to the nitro.

If you want to spend money you can buy the Stand Bra:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4=263602_263622

Otherwise old socks work well - wash them first.

As for StewMacs preservation polish - the stuff is rubish. I can't believe StewMac came up with it and Dan Erlewine recomends it. I threw my bottle out. Horrible chemical smell, couldn't buff it out, left a haze - garbage. Get some Virtuoso polish and cleaner. You can thank me later.

Slick_ad_92700.jpg

If you want to spend money you can buy the Stand Bra:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4=263602_263622

Otherwise old socks work well - wash them first.

As for StewMacs preservation polish - the stuff is rubish. I can't believe StewMac came up with it and Dan Erlewine recomends it. I threw my bottle out. Horrible chemical smell, couldn't buff it out, left a haze - garbage. Get some Virtuoso polish and cleaner. You can thank me later.

Slick_ad_92700.jpg

+1 million for Virtuoso cleaner & polish. It's the only stuff I use. Both the cleaner & polish will even buff out swirl marks. "Yodder" my 150 Blur/Quilt had some serious pick scratches that I never thought would buff out(bought used), Virtuoso to the rescue. The guitar is like new. Can't say enough about Virtuoso.

+1 million for Virtuoso cleaner & polish. It's the only stuff I use. Both the cleaner & polish will even buff out swirl marks. "Yodder" my 150 Blur/Quilt had some serious pick scratches that I never thought would buff out(bought used), Virtuoso to the rescue. The guitar is like new. Can't say enough about Virtuoso.

Hey, we agree on something. :D

I use micro-fiber polishing cloths both for cleaning & polishing my guitars as well as wrapping all surfaces on the guitar stand that come in contact with the guitar. I find them to be much better for the finish then cotton t-shirts, diapers, etc., because they don't leave the very fine swirl like scratches that cotton does. I also use them for cleaning TV & computer screens, eyeglasses, etc., so as not to scratch these very scratch prone surfaces.

One of my favorite topics. Interesting how many dealers are unaware of the proper way to handle nitro finishes. The FretRest guitar stand by Proline is an excellent choice for non reactive stands. Fits in my gig bag. Never had a guitar fall off it or whatever. But you do need non reactive stands for Heritage guitars.

edit: FS100E is the model.

450709.jpg

I noticed the Fretrest claims that it's stands are "specially formuated" to be safe for all finishes. Anyone know if they live up to this? I also thought the rubber we needed to really look out for was the yellow latex surgical tubing type.

I had some black rubbery foam soften the finish on a LP. The Fender stands seem to do well with nitro finishes.

I noticed the Fretrest claims that it's stands are "specially formuated" to be safe for all finishes. Anyone know if they live up to this? I also thought the rubber we needed to really look out for was the yellow latex surgical tubing type.

Fred, kinda what I was saying. I have used them exclusively since getting into Heritage guitars. No burns, no mars. They work.

Fred, kinda what I was saying. I have used them exclusively since getting into Heritage guitars. No burns, no mars. They work.

That sounds perfect tulk1.

It seems as though the Fretrest doesn't require the t-shirt- microfibre cloth- Stand Bra- treatment.

The Stand Bra brought back memories of Kramer and Frank Costanza (CoStand Bra??) with the "manzier"....

if they work.......it's better than avoidable finish checking, ..

male_breasts_0919.jpg

It sounds like the Fretrest is a winner!

Cheers and happy to bump this thread to see what others do that works for them :D

I'm still wondering how I'd explain the credit card statement with my wife...

"Yeah Alice....I did buy a Stand Bra! Ya" tellin me I can't have a Stand Bra????"

130-214the-honeymooners-posters.jpg

Simon in Melbourne.

ooo... that's nice! I picked up one. I've also got an ultimate guitar stand that has foam on it, but I use it mainly for my acoustic. I'm also thinking of just making some permanent terry cloth and/or felt covers for the questionable stands.

I've got two guitars with Rack rash, I'd like to keep it off the other two Nitro Finished guitars I have.

I have an "Ultimate" guitar stand as well..I love it because it folds down flat..i was told they aren't made anymore..Anyone know if this is true? I guess I could just Google it..

My 140 has some serious finish loss from the previous owner using a stand that reacted to the finish..But luckily the guitar still sounds awesome, so I just play on!!!

sweet thanks on the advice, I was about to get the stewmac's stuff but will get virtuoso instead. I also love the micro fiber cloths.

I'm very reluctant to get a guitar stand. I roll out to gigs my friends do or concerts and so far seen 10 guitars taken combat damage or destroyed (neck / body broken) from falling from guitar stands.

Even the four point ones.

There was even one a spinning stage set up and a cable was pulled, yanked on the stand, a guitar fell, bounced off a fan, kicked skidded as another drunken fan tried to recover it and it went into the spinner and got crunch timed.

Of course I laughed, but that was before I was into guitars.

Interesting idea from TGP-

this guy made his own leather covers and put them on an old stand:

see the second post on this thread:

guitar stand cover thread

Leather is not necessarilly safe.

Colorants and dies can leach across into the finish of the instrument. It is a diffusion process (e.g. lots of concentration in the donor and none in the instruments finsih). Clean white cotton or microfiber is the way to go (look at what is in your case).

sweet thanks on the advice, I was about to get the stewmac's stuff but will get virtuoso instead. I also love the micro fiber cloths.

I'm very reluctant to get a guitar stand. I roll out to gigs my friends do or concerts and so far seen 10 guitars taken combat damage or destroyed (neck / body broken) from falling from guitar stands.

Even the four point ones.

There was even one a spinning stage set up and a cable was pulled, yanked on the stand, a guitar fell, bounced off a fan, kicked skidded as another drunken fan tried to recover it and it went into the spinner and got crunch timed.

Of course I laughed, but that was before I was into guitars.

Hiro. You've seen 10 guitars take damage falling from stands? Please do not come to any of my shows. I think you may have a jinx about you. ................. :mellow:

My wife sewed some little socks made of flannel to put over the the little arms that the guitar rests on and against and it works great.

I think I'll keep her.

All of my stands now have sock-booties on them. They look funny, but my gitfiddles look like new!

Also, a buddy of mine had a beautiful antique natural Heritage Johnny Smith 'The Rose' that had guitar stand burns on it. The dealer recommended he leave the guitar out in the open (but not on a stand) for a while. After about a month, the stain almost disappeared from the nitro.

Archived