Heritage Owners Club

150 fever...dang!

slider313

Good to hear that all is well. The E Roman sticker was a surprise.

So the pickups in it now are Smit's Classic Coils?

BTW... HAPPY NEW GUITAR DAY...

Fred,

Thanks. Yes, the Ed Roman sticker was a surprise! The pickups are Smit's Classic Coils with alnico IV magnets. The neck comes in at 7.2K and the bridge is 8.3K.

how does the black light thing work?

If there are any crack repair's the blacklight will show two different colors of paint; the old paint will look like the rest of the guitar and no matter how well they match the color, the new paint will not. It will also show glue if a crack was repaired and NOT refinished.

Ed Roman or not, that is an incredible looking guitar, MIKE!!!!

And yes, you and I have figured out the secret to tone...... RS super volume pots, 500K tone pots, and .22 paper in oil caps.

It really give the guitar that "missing" vintage upper mids and the creamy highs!

Hope that this guitar works out for you!!!!

Ed Roman or not, that is an incredible looking guitar, MIKE!!!!

And yes, you and I have figured out the secret to tone...... RS super volume pots, 500K tone pots, and .22 paper in oil caps.

It really give the guitar that "missing" vintage upper mids and the creamy highs!

Hope that this guitar works out for you!!!!

Yeah, the woods on this one are exceptional. I was playing it most of the day and fine tuned the set-up to my liking. I'm starting to bond with the neck and overall feel of this one already. It is a bit heavier than I'm used to coming in at 9.5 lbs on my digital bathroom scale. I think I'll take it to the UPS store tomorrow and have it weighed on their digital scale to get an exact weight. I'll give it a couple of weeks and if it's a keeper I'll just have to order a set of Tom Short's with zebra bobbins. Because it's heavier and the wood is more dense, I may have to go with a slightly degaussed alnico IV magnet.

Yeah, the woods on this one are exceptional. I was playing it most of the day and fine tuned the set-up to my liking. I'm starting to bond with the neck and overall feel of this one already. It is a bit heavier than I'm used to coming in at 9.5 lbs on my digital bathroom scale. I think I'll take it to the UPS store tomorrow and have it weighed on their digital scale to get an exact weight. I'll give it a couple of weeks and if it's a keeper I'll just have to order a set of Tom Short's with zebra bobbins. Because it's heavier and the wood is more dense, I may have to go with a slightly degaussed alnico IV magnet.

The A IVs for a slightly brighter tone, I assume?

So......I had a last minute audition tonight for a funk, R&B, soul, Motown and "Blues Bros." band and I thought I would give the new H150 a try. They had bass, drums, male and female singer and they usually have two horns but only the trumpet player showed. I played my '65 non reverb Deluxe amp with the usual suspects; a Budda Bud-wah, a DD3 digital delay and my Analogman King of Tone IV dual overdrive. The neck was comfortable and the set-up was perfect, so I felt I could give it a go without having to "fight" with it. It sounded clear, punchy and full straight through the amp and had exceptional note definition with the OD. The Smit's Classic Coils were real nice in this guitar but were slightly brighter on the top end. I'm getting spoiled with the "chewey" complexity and smooth top end of my Tom Short Tombuckers. It is a bit heavier than my other guitars, and I did seem to feel it after 50 minutes of straight playing, but it was a good first impression in a band setting.

Update: The Smit's Classic Coils were not as bright as my last post stated. I had a problem with my wah last night and it seems the pot assembly was a bit loose. This caused the wah to function as another tone pot, even when turned off, and that's where the extra treble was coming from. I played it plugged straight in to my Deluxe today. Very Dickey Betts sounding.

I'm getting spoiled with the "chewey" complexity and smooth top end of my Tom Short Tombuckers.

I should be similarly spoiled shortly! Glad the new 150 has delivered for you, Mike. Intrepid that you'd take it to an audition! Says a lot for the guitar!

I should be similarly spoiled shortly! Glad the new 150 has delivered for you, Mike. Intrepid that you'd take it to an audition! Says a lot for the guitar!

Yeah Rob, it's tough. Once you get the sound of the Tom Short's in your head other pickups seem to be missing something.

I just returned from the UPS store and had them weigh the guitar; 9.25 lbs. That's pretty good for a Lester but I guess I'm used to my 140 and R8, because it felt heavy to me!

• 2 weeks later...

love the grain on that . . . the Ed Roman sticker is crazy . . . well Ed did clue me on the Heritage . . . hopefully if you decide to peel it off it won't take the Heritage stick with it too . . .

Thanks promax, hiro and golferwave. I spent some time with my hobby files widening the pickup cavities. It took about an hour to file the top and bottom of each cavity to accept other "covered" humbuckers. It seems the Schallers are just a hair smaller and my uncovered Smits were the only choice. I really wanted to get my set of old Gibson patent #'s in there because they are more "transparent" than the other sets I have. It is a good piece with great woods and the neck carve is more of a '59 then the slim '60's I've played on some 150's.

Archived