Heritage Owners Club

150 fever...dang!

slider313

I've caught a case of that 150 fever that's going around. There was one for sale that was listed here on the board: http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...?showtopic=7597 He has it listed for $795, so I emailed him but he really didn't want to ship it, hoping for a local sale. After speaking with him at length and getting him to send a couple of pics from his cell phone, he said if I was really interested he would do $925 paypal'd/shipped. A bit of a jump from $795, being paypal only takes 3.2% and shipping would be in the $40 range, but after seeing the not so good pictures the extra $60 or so wasn't a big deal. I didn't want to ask too many questions after he said it was pretty much mint and a custom order a friend placed in '99. I know it's not a second and has virtually no fret wear, so for $925 shipped he's going to pack it over the weekend and ship it Monday. As Mr. Petty say's, "the waiting is the hardest part".

H150F.jpg

H150B.jpg

Man!! The grain on that top is AWESOME, Slider..congratulations!! We need a tone report as soon as she comes in...

Great catch Mike!

If it was mine I would switch her to Nashville hardware and put in some Tom Short pups.

Are you going to change the hardware?

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will change the tailpiece first and then maybe the roller bridge later. After reading the SkyDog thread, I'm a bit concerned. If I find a problem, he will be getting it back. I paid through paypal with a credit card.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will change the tailpiece first and then maybe the roller bridge later. After reading the SkyDog thread, I'm a bit concerned. If I find a problem, he will be getting it back. I paid through paypal with a credit card.

Most likely just fine... the craigslist ad says "neck is straight as an arrow, low action, no issues,"

Jeez!!! I can't remember a time on the HOC when there were more transactions going on, and so many excellent instruments! Gas is like cholera around here! Beauty, Mike! Very distinctive 150, and I, too, remember seeing that one before! Good price! We may have to meet up in Chapel Hill again soon, just to check out some lumber over a cocktail! Congrats on the acquisition!

Most likely just fine... the craigslist ad says "neck is straight as an arrow, low action, no issues,"

Fred, Yeah that's what it says but I don't believe most of the sales pitch threads. A good eye and a blacklight are your best friends when buying a used guitar.

Rob, I'm all for a couple of cold pints sometime in the near future.

Brent, yeah that's one bad ass top. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It arrived intact and in good condition. I found no cracks or repairs upon my inspection without and with a blacklight. The truss rod was tight but it loosened up and adjusted as it should. The fretboard was dry and needed some oil and the frets needed cleaning with a little steel wool. It seems the frets were dressed at one point and are level but not as high as I would like but I can live with the height. Here's where it gets interesting. I decided to replace the Schallers with something else.

The Schallers are slightly narrower than both my Manlius and Gibson's, both with covers. Also, the Schallers are on a short leg baseplate and if you're replacing them with a long leg, you may not have the adjustment in the neck cavity. I had to deepen the neck cavity to accept my Smit's Classic Coils. They don't have covers and I'm not sure if THEY would have fit if they did! What's up with that! I really want to try my Gibson patent #'s but will have to widen both cavities. I may try that down the road with some sandpaper first. If that doesn't do it I guess they'll have to be routed a bit. I replaced the hardware with a Tone Pro's non locking Nashville style bridge and a stoptail and strung it up. I plug it in and it sounds almost muted! I remember something about 300K pots and sure enough that's what this one has. Out they come and in with two new RS Superpots for each volume and two used 500K Gibson pots for the tone, along with a pair of Westcap .022 paper in oil caps. Now THAT'S what it's supposed to sound like! The 300K pots are someone's bad idea on how to get a humbucker guitar to sound warmer. This one weighs around 9 pounds 6 ounces and is a bit heavier than my R8. I like it a need to give it a week of playing to bond with it some. After that I need to play it with the boys and see what it can do in a band setting. So far, so good. Oh.....it's an Ed Roman guitar!

Picture1099.jpg

Picture1101.jpg

Picture1100.jpg

Picture1107.jpg

Picture1106.jpg

freakin ed roman. I've never gotten a guitar from anywhere that had something like that on it. I have gotten amps back with stickers from repair shops, but that's a good thing, as then I don't have to search for their number the next time.

anyway, killer axe. It's feeding my urge to get more H150CMs. damnit.

Archived