Heritage Owners Club

Any fans of Egnater amps?

zookroo1

Seems like Egnater has some pretty cool products. I haven't had a chance to play through one myself, but I did have a chance to hear a mod50 once and I've seen some good demos online. They seem to have a lot of options for the price. I'd like to check out the Renegade and Tourmaster in person. Does anybody own or enjoy Egnater amps?

Seems like Egnater has some pretty cool products. I haven't had a chance to play through one myself, but I did have a chance to hear a mod50 once and I've seen some good demos online. They seem to have a lot of options for the price. I'd like to check out the Renegade and Tourmaster in person. Does anybody own or enjoy Egnater amps?

Was over at DJL a couple of weeks ago. Dale is a complete amp Wiz! Builds boutique, restores vintage stuff. Shop's immaculate. We were in the back, digging for some NOS tubes, when I noticed the rack of stuff in for repair. I asked what was up with all the Egnater amps, combos, heads; must've had a half dozen in for repair. He wasn't sure; he hadn't been in them, his tech had. Dale thought it might be an inherent design problem. He remarked that they'd all been purchased at the local Guitar Center. So no hard evidence of anything, zoo, just the anecdote. But it didn't look good as to their reliability!

I have a Rocktron Velocity Valve (2x 80W) power amp that Bruce did while he was with Rocktron and it is a very good amp. Very organic and has the wide full range in output. Other than tubes eventually wearing normally, never a problem.

I too have heard of problems with his newer lineup, but as I recall this was limited to a particular model and not the entire series. Off the top of my head I want to say the Rebel. The TOLs and Vendettas he produced with Rocktron have a good reputation. Check out Harmony-Central for the reviews and you will probably get the straight poop.

I have a late 80s pre-amp that Bruce built in his basement. It's a fun puppy and rivals the Bogner Fish for fun time.

I have heard of troubles with one of the new Chinese models. Last I heard, they had captured the defect and fixed their processes. They have a new model in this month's Guitar Player that looks interesting. You've to got to hand it to anybody that can maintain great sound and innovate at the same time.

I had an egnater 4100 it was okay but nothing to write home about sold it after a couple months.

I see a lot of guys use their cabinets but not the heads. If "i wanna go fast" I use my original Matchless DC-30

Dennis

I bought an Egnater Rebel 20 head/cabinet combination late last fall and after living with it for a few weeks I realized it just wasn't for me and returned it.

I don't know what it was but it wasn't working for me.

They definitely make nice stuff. It was me, not them.

conorb

I was killing time yesterday at the local GC and decided to try the tweaker. It was a nice amp, especially for the money. So many little switches on it to tweak (ergo the name) the voicing I doubt I heard all it had to give. Overall it was a good little amp, no reverb on it is a minus to me, that could serve a bedroom or a small gig. Not sure it could stay ahead of an aggressive drummer though.

I agree with Conorb on the Rebel, not my cup of tea either. Just couldn't see anything special about the tones on it. I'm not a fan of EL84 tubes and the 6V6 side just wasn't that special. The tweaker was EL84s only and I thought it had some better tones in it.

I love the Renegade, but its a beast. The 6L6 and EL34 with tube blending and super sounds made it an awesome amp. Maybe not for metal heads but I thought it was a great amp. I'm not sure about its reliability. Any time you see a thread, the China built quality is a concern. I'm in no rush to buy, so I'm letting others do the beta test for me.

I agree with Conorb on the Rebel, not my cup of tea either. Just couldn't see anything special about the tones on it. I'm not a fan of EL84 tubes and the 6V6 side just wasn't that special. The tweaker was EL84s only and I thought it had some better tones in it.

I love the Renegade, but its a beast. The 6L6 and EL34 with tube blending and super sounds made it an awesome amp. Maybe not for metal heads but I thought it was a great amp. I'm not sure about its reliability. Any time you see a thread, the China built quality is a concern. I'm in no rush to buy, so I'm letting others do the beta test for me.

I think the Rebel was the one Guitar player Mag reviewed about a year ago, they loved it and the price seemed pretty reasonable and the concept of the 6l6 and EL84 blending sounded intriguing. It's been on my radar. I wasn't aware of the China build issues. Thanks for the heads up.

I've had a Rebel 20 (with a 1x12 cab) since last August and I'm enjoying it a lot. It took me awhile to learn how to dial in the right tones but I found some forums on the web where people trade their favorite settings. I haven't had any reliability issues but I'm grateful to hear it might be an issue as I don't always bring a spare to gigs (I will now).

This past weekend I was playing the Rebel 20 througgh a Marshall 4x12 cabinet and it really sounded incredible. The tone was just great.

I've had a Rebel 20 (with a 1x12 cab) since last August and I'm enjoying it a lot. It took me awhile to learn how to dial in the right tones but I found some forums on the web where people trade their favorite settings. I haven't had any reliability issues but I'm grateful to hear it might be an issue as I don't always bring a spare to gigs (I will now).

This past weekend I was playing the Rebel 20 througgh a Marshall 4x12 cabinet and it really sounded incredible. The tone was just great.

Could you share some of these setting websites?

I've been looking for them but can't find them. I had cut and pasted them onto a Word document and didn't keep the links. Here's a link to an Egnater forum where Bruce is one of the moderators. You may find what you're looking for in here...

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Archived