Heritage Owners Club

What tubes do you guys use?

Hfan

Getting ready to buy some new 12AX7 and 12 AT7 preamp tubes for my old Fender Twin. I've used Electro Harmonix (Sovtek made I think) in the past, they sound ok to me but my experience is limited. Any other reasonably priced choices you guys like?

Getting ready to buy some new 12AX7 and 12 AT7 preamp tubes for my old Fender Twin. I've used Electro Harmonix (Sovtek made I think) in the past, they sound ok to me but my experience is limited. Any other reasonably priced choices you guys like?

You have some really nice equipment in your quiver. IMHO

If that amp is to make guitars of that caliber sound like it was made to do it would need to be fed a diet of vintage old stock American made (new-lightly used) tubes. 2-3 shortplate nearly new strong RCA 7025 at least, balance of positions and spares can be 12ax7a Raytheon early 60's long blackplate or GE 12ax7a/7025a shortplate...all 12at7 positions can be filled with US made 6201 or 12at7wa, 12at7wb, 12at7wc, GE and or JAN Philips are great quality in tone for the buck and longevity is good...

Power tubes tend to deteriorate more rapidly than preamp tubes over time and use, there are some good VOS RCA or GE power tubes out there but they are spendy. Some of the users over on the Mesa Boogie forum really like their TAD Tube Amp Doctor blackplate 6l6gc cloned after vintage 6l6gc designs. Have heard there are at least two versions in that type from them. TAD is new production type of 6l6gc at a decent price/quality. Still not inexpensive to retube and rebias. If that amp is actually of vintage age and has never has had the power supply filter caps done, maybe putting in new ones and cleaning/lubing the jacks, sockets and pots if they've not been done would be good things as well as retubing.

You have some really nice equipment in your quiver. IMHO

If that amp is to make guitars of that caliber sound like it was made to do it would need to be fed a diet of vintage old stock American made (new-lightly used) tubes. 2-3 shortplate nearly new strong RCA 7025 at least, balance of positions and spares can be 12ax7a Raytheon early 60's long blackplate or GE 12ax7a/7025a shortplate...all 12at7 positions can be filled with US made 6201 or 12at7wa, 12at7wb, 12at7wc, GE and or JAN Philips are great quality in tone for the buck and longevity is good...

Power tubes tend to deteriorate more rapidly than preamp tubes over time and use, there are some good VOS RCA or GE power tubes out there but they are spendy. Some of the users over on the Mesa Boogie forum really like their TAD Tube Amp Doctor blackplate 6l6gc cloned after vintage 6l6gc designs. Have heard there are at least two versions in that type from them. TAD is new production type of 6l6gc at a decent price/quality. Still not inexpensive to retube and rebias. If that amp is actually of vintage age and has never has had the power supply filter caps done, maybe putting in new ones and cleaning/lubing the jacks, sockets and pots if they've not been done would be good things as well as retubing.

Some great advice here!

As far as modern tubes - I've heard really good things about the Tung-Sol Reissues; but personally, I've always been a New old stock, or used old stock person.

In either case, I highly recommend getting and using a bias meter (if you don't have one already) - it's never fun to throw in some new tubes just to have them burn out right away, especially if they are NOS.

I get all my tubes from www.dougstubes.com. Doug really knows his stuff, new and old production. I like JJ tubes for power tubes. They are kinda dark but have good harmonics and are solidly made. For preamp tubes in heads, I like the Sovtek 12AX7LP or LPS tubes. They are hands down the best tube sovtek makes. EHX, Sovtek, Tung Sol, Svetlana branded tubes are all made at the Exo-Pul reflector plant by New Sensor. JJ tubes are made at the Teslovak plant in Slovakia. SED tubes are made at the St Petersburg plant, but word is they aren't doing well. Also currently EI tubes are defunct, which is sad. they were some of the better new production.

Thanks for the advise guys. I've never really considered the NOS tubes I assumed they would be cost prohibitive I'll check some out. At least for the more critical positions.

For what it's worth, I asked this same question on the Music Electronics Forum. Lots of pro amp techs on that site, they are very generous with advise for amateurs and hobbyists. Here is the link if interested.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19052-...842/#post156842

Thanks again, Pete

I get all my tubes from www.dougstubes.com. Doug really knows his stuff, new and old production. I like JJ tubes for power tubes. They are kinda dark but have good harmonics and are solidly made. For preamp tubes in heads, I like the Sovtek 12AX7LP or LPS tubes. They are hands down the best tube sovtek makes. EHX, Sovtek, Tung Sol, Svetlana branded tubes are all made at the Exo-Pul reflector plant by New Sensor. JJ tubes are made at the Teslovak plant in Slovakia. SED tubes are made at the St Petersburg plant, but word is they aren't doing well. Also currently EI tubes are defunct, which is sad. they were some of the better new production.

Archived