Heritage Owners Club

de-bigsby-ing my millenium 158?

cod65

so I'm thinking about trying out a 'normal ' tailpiece in place of my factory ordered bigsby on my 158. I dunno if I'mn just bored or if theres something to the 'tonesuck' theory that stigmatizes the vibrato. I like it , bnut I want to try my guitar with just a traditional tailpice of some sort. Iwas looking at photos of 158's and millenium's of similar body shape and I've seen at least 2-3 different configs of tailpiece:

trapeze with an 'H'

'fingers' type gold tail

traditional 'LP type 'stop tailpiece'

since my guit doesnt have factory holes on the top to sink a 'stop' type I'm reluctant to go there. I think I would prefer a 'trapeze' of some sort anyway.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...ost&id=6381

the bigsby install has made at least 1 screwwhole on the top, but I can live with that. I'm looking for guidance as to waht you all think I might be able to replace the Bigsby with , to a non-vibrato tail, with minimal additional holes. Is this sacreligious?

what are your opinions? Should I just leave things as they are, or can I work up some sort of minimally intrusive mod to get a trapeze tail? And if so, do you think I need to get this from heritage? I really like their 'H' style trapeze, like my older 575 has, but I dont know if they would have or sell me one----- would it be heresy to just go for the generic 'stew-mac' gibbon type like this?:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/0189

this 530 seems to have just that:

http://www.gbase.com/files/store_images/ge...fjn3nccf_so.jpg

I wonder if ther is much variation in these? The heritage trap could be made in Taiwan for all I know

any thoughts apreciated.

I agree with the H trapeze approach for your guitar. The mod is limited and least destructive.

Another thought would be to replace the Bigsby spring with a cylinder of metal of similar size. This wouldn't be quite as rigid as a stop tailpiece but is readily undone.

The H tailpiece might be a bit HUGE looking on the milli. Don't know. I have never actually held a Milli so I don't know. It might look slick!

For what it is worth, I did the same thing to my Gretsch.

I did my time with Bigsbys. I really like their sound but I don't use them enough to fuss with restringing them. So, I grabbed an old G tailpiece I had in my parts bag and it is going on in place of the Bigsby that would hav been on it originally.

or, pick up another Heritage and make no mods~

:)

been there, done that and ..... who am I kidding ?

I did my time with Bigsbys. I really like their sound but I don't use them enough to fuss with restringing them. So, I grabbed an old G tailpiece I had in my parts bag and it is going on in place of the Bigsby that would hav been on it originally.

Slick nut (delrin, graphite), locking tuners. All you need for a Bigsby to behave. Restringing can be tough, I'll admit - though locking tuners and bending the end a bit makes it simple.

Restringing can be tough, I'll admit....

I use a Pink Pearl eraser to hold the barrels in place while I wrap the post during restringing. Yep, I am one fart smeller - I mean a smart feller....

Pink%20Pearl.JPG

I just prebend the ball end of the strings with a pair of needle nose pliers...

and speaking of farts, I piss rainwater, poop snowballs and fart perfume...

I hope you don't mind if I use that.....

Yeah prebending is big help too.

Archived