Heritage Owners Club

Which pickups for my H555 ?

slider313

I'm going to change the stock schallers in my H555. I would like to know what you have in your H555 or H535 and why they work for you. I'm thinking about the following:

Seth Lovers

Lollar low wind Imperials

Burstbuckers

WCR Bett set

Sheptone PAF's

You did not include them in your choices, but my H-555 has HRW's and they sound wonderful.  I have NO plans of ever changing them.

The only second choice I would ever consider for that model would be Seth Lovers.

Also, the pickups you select should compliment your playing style.  I make my suggestions based on a jazz/fusion/r&b/pop genre.

What do you play?

You did not include them in your choices, but my H-555 has HRW's and they sound wonderful.  I have NO plans of ever changing them.

The only second choice I would ever consider for that model would be Seth Lovers.

Also, the pickups you select should compliment your playing style.  I make my suggestions based on a jazz/fusion/r&b/pop genre.

What do you play?

I play classic rock/blues/60's pop/Mowtown

I have Lollar Imperials in my R8 and love them but an H555 is a totally different animal.

I've read good things about Lollar Imperials as well as the other p'ups you've mentioned.  I don't think Burstbuckers are the best for a semi-hollow, however. 

If you are happy with your Imperials in your solid body git, you might do well to drop a set in your H-555.  Expect a more woody tone and possibly a bit more mids due to the nature of the guitar, but similar overall tone.  That is what I hear from the HRW's in my H-555 vs. H-150.

Let us know what you decide.

For classic rock and blues tones then the Duncan 59s should suit you well, they even give a convincing jazz tone.

I have '59s in a 535 and a 575 and they are good all round pickups, they are not extremely bright sounding but in truth I was not looking for a bright or thin sounding guitar, I expected warm fat tones and they deliver this well. The middle position on the 535 gives a nice musical "jangle" tone, great clean or with some chorus / delay.

If you're into high gain metal or thrash then as Thundersteel suggests Dimebuckers or EMGs would do the trick.

As you are looking to change the pickups in a 555 then I'm guessing that extreme high gain tones are not what you are after.

As for HRWs I have those in a Millennium Standard Ultra, think LP semi with f-holes, and they have a higher output with a brighter tone but still sound very musical and have great sustain and articulation. The only downside is that Heritage do not sell HRWs separately, you will need to send them back to the factory to have them installed, or find a set for sale here on the HOC.

I don't have Seth Lovers but I have checked out the reviews etc online and they seem to be the business, almost the current humbucker "flavour of the month". Seths are not wax potted though and they will feedback if pushed : from the Duncan site

"For brighter toned instruments. Works especially well with maple and ebony fingerboards. Not recommended for use with ultra high gain tube amplifiers over 50 watts."

Basically if you gig then on a small confined stage Seths might not be an option as microphonic pickup feedback could be a problem which would be further exaggerated by the guitar itself being a semi.

If you check out Jay Wolfes site nearly every new Heritage with buckers has '59s, Seths or HRWs.

As far as other guitar makes and pickup combinations go well I have an EMG equipped ESP Strat and a DiMarzio equipped Ernie Ball Silhouette and I don't think I would like to hear those tones coming out of a 555, however they are great sounding guitars in their own right.

The problem with buying pickups is that everyones taste and varies and unless you can try them first you really are buying a pig in a poke !

Good luck with your choice and please give us a tone report when you have made your decision.

If you're into high gain metal or thrash then as Thundersteel suggests Dimebuckers or EMGs would do the trick.

Folks--I wasn't serious! Sarcasm--it's what I do!

Folks--I wasn't serious! Sarcasm--it's what I do!

Of course  ..... but it is an option ... the only problem with EMGs is where to put the battery ... would it fit through the F-hole ?

Or maybe a saw could be used to cut out a square in the back of the instrument, which could then be held in place by some duct tape  ;D

Archived