Heritage Owners Club

Work

Trouble

Just wondering how many of you guys are in working bands and what kind of stuff you play. From the number of you guys that have hollowbodies I'm guessing there are some jazz guys. I have a straight job but play in a little band that does classic rock and country. I have also played in a couple blues and pop bands.

Currently taking Jazz & theory lessons (early stages).

Played for 12 years in an acoustic duet (shared lead vocals, played lead acoustic). Got tired of playing "American Pie" and Jimmy Buffet songs.

Briefly played in an Alternative Rock band (but the drummer was a idiot drugy.... he didn't share LOL)

Last 4 years play lead in our Church worship band.... yea, yea, I know what you think "3 acoustic guitars with capos" but it isn't like that. I play all the leads and riffs. I help decide the arrangements. I actually have learned a lot about what will or won't work with arrangements, key changes, and some different chording.

My ultimate goal is to someday share the jam stage with Yoslate & FxDx99!

I have already met one of my goals of jamming with Tulk1 and pulling him down!!!

No working bands here. Have what we refer to as a 'music co-op' and we jam pretty much weekly at low volume coffee house spots. But it's hardly work... play what we want, when we want kinda thing and there's gotta be a PA there so we don't have to lug heavy stuff. 'Cuz we're nothing if not really lazy.

Got some vids/tunes up of your band, Trouble? Always love to see/hear Heritages and other HOC'rs in action.

A serious hobbiest!! Sounds like a conflict doesn't it. 40 years between guitar obsessions. Now retired and "into" it full bore. Played in my second jam last Thursday. I played too loud again, made some mistakes but not a lot, had to watch my fingers (dang it, work on that), and just loving the guitar and the music again. Life is good.

No working bands here. Have what we refer to as a 'music co-op' and we jam pretty much weekly at low volume coffee house spots. But it's hardly work... play what we want, when we want kinda thing and there's gotta be a PA there so we don't have to lug heavy stuff. 'Cuz we're nothing if not really lazy.

Got some vids/tunes up of your band, Trouble? Always love to see/hear Heritages and other HOC'rs in action.

Not yet. The band is about three years old and I came in about a year ago. They were very disorganized and had just recruited two members that had actually played in bands before about the same time I joined. Coming along though hope to put together a demo soon.

Currently taking Jazz & theory lessons (early stages).

Played for 12 years in an acoustic duet (shared lead vocals, played lead acoustic). Got tired of playing "American Pie" and Jimmy Buffet songs.

Briefly played in an Alternative Rock band (but the drummer was a idiot drugy.... he didn't share LOL)

Last 4 years play lead in our Church worship band.... yea, yea, I know what you think "3 acoustic guitars with capos" but it isn't like that. I play all the leads and riffs. I help decide the arrangements. I actually have learned a lot about what will or won't work with arrangements, key changes, and some different chording.

My ultimate goal is to someday share the jam stage with Yoslate & FxDx99!

I have already met one of my goals of jamming with Tulk1 and pulling him down!!!

I actually played in a Christian blues band about 15 years ago. Some of the most fun I've had playing and its where I really learned how to play in a band. There is more to it than just knowing songs on an instrument you have to know your place in the mix and the people in that band taught me that. I was a teen then and I am sure it took a lot of patience!

For the last fifteen years, I've been playing in a R&B/R&R band led by a guy who is the chief engineer and a DJ at the local public radio station --he's known as Radio Bob, and so we are "The Radio Bob Band." (We've tried a couple of other names, but it always comes back to RBB). Most of the members of the band have some connection to the St. Lawrence University Music Dept. --our sax player/bassist vocalist is the chair of the Dept., our pianist is his wife and also an Dept. member, our female vocalist is a recent grad. of the school, etc. I teach guitar and work with ensembles. We don't play nearly as much as I'd like to play, once a month is doing good for us, but when we do we usually get pretty good gigs (the senior members of the band are pretty senior --Bob and sax player both turned sixty this year), so they aren't interested in playing bars until 2am. I'd like to play more, but it has been a long running, reliable gig.

Here's a link to a gig that's on the North Country Public Radio site, if you want to hear a version of the band from 5-6 years back. (We go through a lot of drummers and female vocalists, so this is not the current line up, but we still play most of these tunes.)

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/new...ommunity-center

I also get to play a lot in various school ensembles --I work regularly with an improv lab, work up duets with students for performances of various sorts, etc. It's not my only work, but it's one of three half time jobs that I mix to almost add up to decent employment.

I played pretty regularly from the age of 18 to 23 or so in a couple of bands in eastern NC, then didn't play out for a decade or more until I fell into the Bob Band.

Archived