Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HFT 450 Custom...in the house

brentrocks

Guest mgoetting
That's a good point..i just thought it was unique..That's all..

I'm not too worried about the law. Marv et al would have to report it stolen, there would have to be a police report, charges pressed, etc. The Kalamazoo DA office would never prosecute something like this. For all concerned it would be a drain on resources. I'm confident about this much.

The ethical aspects may be different. It could be argued that the existence of the fraudulent guitar harms Heritage, and there is truth there. So by extension in logic, the moral thing to do would be to acquire the guitar and destroy it or return it to Heritage so they could use the parts.

Pragmatically, no one is going to raise the money to return the guitar to Heritage. And it would be wasteful, therefore arguably unethical, to destroy a useful tool like this guitar. So someone is going to buy it.

The situation stinks, but this has been going on for decades during both the Gibson and Heritage years. And I remember discussions on this topic since the '70s, as I live in Kalamazoo. People have strong and passionate arguments. But it's like blaming a baby for having a creep for a father. The guitar exists and it is not the guitar's fault it is illegit.

The only clear immoral way to handle it is to buy it and then sell it as a Heritage. And that would also be illegal and possibly prosecutable.

If you don't want a fake Heritage in your house, I can understand. But really the harm to Heritage from this guitar probably occurred over 20 years ago.

BTW, if I keep putting in my two cents I'll be broke soon.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not too worried about the law. Marv et al would have to report it stolen, there would have to be a police report, charges pressed, etc. The Kalamazoo DA office would never prosecute something like this. For all concerned it would be a drain on resources. I'm confident about this much.

The ethical aspects may be different. It could be argued that the existence of the fraudulent guitar harms Heritage, and there is truth there. So by extension in logic, the moral thing to do would be to acquire the guitar and destroy it or return it to Heritage so they could use the parts.

Pragmatically, no one is going to raise the money to return the guitar to Heritage. And it would be wasteful, therefore arguably unethical, to destroy a useful tool like this guitar. So someone is going to buy it.

The situation stinks, but this has been going on for decades during both the Gibson and Heritage years. And I remember discussions on this topic since the '70s, as I live in Kalamazoo. People have strong and passionate arguments. But it's like blaming a baby for having a creep for a father. The guitar exists and it is not the guitar's fault it is illegit.

The only clear immoral way to handle it is to buy it and then sell it as a Heritage. And that would also be illegal and possibly prosecutable.

If you don't want a fake Heritage in your house, I can understand. But really the harm to Heritage from this guitar probably occurred over 20 years ago.

BTW, if I keep putting in my two cents I'll be broke soon.

i grew up in Lansing, and when the Oldsmobile plants were going gangbusters in the 40's 50's 60's and 70's, we alway heard rumors of guys building their own cars one piece at a time..i never saw one, but most people swear it happened on a regular basis..

Bottom line is you get to keep the 535. which is not bad at all!!!!!

you got that right...i was plinkin on it a little tonight...it is a really great Heritage.

Archived