Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HFT 450 Custom...in the house

brentrocks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, do i feel stupid!!! :huh:

I took the HFT 450 down to Heritage today, i was already going down there to get some pickup covers....anyway......Marv takes a look at my newly acquired Heritage flattop and says, "this wasnt built here." :o

I looked at him and said, what do you mean? ;)

That guitar was built with what he suspects was stolen parts, possibly?. Marv told me that Jim Deurloo only built a couple HFT 450s and they were NOT MAPLE!!!! And the serial # was wrong...(which i should have caught, thats why i feel like an idiot!!!) :P

So i take the guitar back to the sellers house, not really expecting anything, but to let him know i was not happy he sold me a fake. The seller had no idea it was a fake either...he was the 2nd owner, his sister was the first....so everybody was fooled!!! And he cheerfully refunded my money....i was lucky!!!

So the lesson learned here is....when buying used grear....Double check EVERYTHING!!!!! -_-:D

wow, well all's well that ends well..

still, i like that trussrod cover :P

WOW!! I don't know what you paid for it, but I probabaly would've kept it just to be able to show it around, and tell that story..Just my 2 cents..

WOW!! I don't know what you paid for it, but I probabaly would've kept it just to be able to show it around, and tell that story..Just my 2 cents..

$800....maybe i should have asked him if he would take $400?

Boy, do i feel stupid!!! :huh:

I took the HFT 450 down to Heritage today, i was already going down there to get some pickup covers....anyway......Marv takes a look at my newly acquired Heritage flattop and says, "this wasnt built here." :o

I looked at him and said, what do you mean? ;)

That guitar was built with what he suspects was stolen parts, possibly?. Marv told me that Jim Deurloo only built a couple HFT 450s and they were NOT MAPLE!!!! And the serial # was wrong...(which i should have caught, thats why i feel like an idiot!!!) :P

So i take the guitar back to the sellers house, not really expecting anything, but to let him know i was not happy he sold me a fake. The seller had no idea it was a fake either...he was the 2nd owner, his sister was the first....so everybody was fooled!!! And he cheerfully refunded my money....i was lucky!!!

So the lesson learned here is....when buying used grear....Double check EVERYTHING!!!!! -_-:D

Brent: Whether or not you recognized it as a fake, I'm sure that you checked it out thoroughly and played it extensively before buying it. I guess you assumed it was worth the asking price regardless of who made it or where it was made. Add to that the fact that is just jaw dropping gorgeous. I'm sure you fell in love with it . . . and still you decide not to keep it. I'm assuming you made that decision because you didn't want to be a party to something that was this unethical, immoral and dishonest .. . . as well as not wanting to "diss" Heritage by having a fake in your possession. You're a man of honor and character. I respect your decision and I respect you for making it. It was the only right thing to do.

$800....maybe i should have asked him if he would take $400?

it's worth asking him..Once again, my 2 cents..You could call it your Franken-Heritage!

Guest mgoetting
Brent: Whether or not you recognized it as a fake, I'm sure that you checked it out thoroughly and played it extensively before buying it. I guess you assumed it was worth the asking price regardless of who made it or where it was made. Add to that the fact that is just jaw dropping gorgeous. I'm sure you fell in love with it . . . and still you decide not to keep it. I'm assuming you made that decision because you didn't want to be a party to something that was this unethical, immoral and dishonest .. . . as well as not wanting to "diss" Heritage by having a fake in your possession. You're a man of honor and character. I respect your decision and I respect you for making it. It was the only right thing to do.

There's all of that plus the resale value just plummetted.

I wouldn't mind picking it up as a player and for the novelty. No one's gonna destroy the guitar. It's gonna exist somewhere. So one of us should get it for a much lower price because we won't rip someone else off selling it and because we can appreciate its "heritage". The thief won't be helped or hurt by this sale- he's already got his money and a double helping of bad karma.

Man, there's not a dull day on this site!

Well, that is an interesting twist to the story....

You are, Sir Brently, famous for acquiring the most unique and interesting Heritage guitars... in this case the unique part is bad news really.

While still a sweet looking guitar... it does change things.. particularly when "stolen parts" comes into play.. not an authentic Heritage at all...

All's well that ends well in this case, I'm glad that you came out of it ok.

Would you want to own something that was stolen from your friends at Heritage?

That's a good point..i just thought it was unique..That's all..

that is f-ing bizarre. what did marv say about the label, his name is on it? I thought the serial # starting with 9 was odd myself..

Makes for a great story...

Oh yeah... what is up with the label?... And the serial starts with a "B" , right?

maybe this neck was stripped off of a damaged 1985 archtop and stuck on this body? and the label taken from it also?... it's the body that's not Heritage,I guess.

There's all of that plus the resale value just plummetted.

I wouldn't mind picking it up as a player and for the novelty. No one's gonna destroy the guitar. It's gonna exist somewhere. So one of us should get it for a much lower price because we won't rip someone else off selling it and because we can appreciate its "heritage". The thief won't be helped or hurt by this sale- he's already got his money and a double helping of bad karma.

Man, there's not a dull day on this site!

By law . . . who ever has this guitar . . . . other than its' rightful owner, Heritage, is in possession of stolen property . . . . . theoretically of course. Think of seeing one of your guitars in someone elses hands after it was stolen. In this case, it's the parts that were stolen . . . but it's kind of the same thing. I wouldn't own it for free . . . . unless such an agreement was known and agreed to by Jim and Marv. But, hey, that's just me.

Oh yeah... what is up with the label?... And the serial starts with a "B" , right?

maybe this neck was stripped off of a damaged 1985 archtop and stuck on this body? and the label taken from it also?... it's the body that's not Heritage,I guess.

Oh , I see ... the number has to be 365 or lower following the letter..

that is f-ing bizarre. what did marv say about the label, his name is on it? I thought the serial # starting with 9 was odd myself..

Makes for a great story...

Marv sig was fake too

the neck is definately Heritage, the body...who knows???

the neck is definately Heritage, the body...who knows???

WOW!! The plot Thickens!! :D

That's just crazy...

When compared to the Centurion label.. Ren's signature doesn't look right either.

A fake label... How low can you go...?

I wonder if it's one of those Chinese knockoffs? LOL Bizzare!!

Oh , I see ... the number has to be 365 or lower following the letter..

Yeppy..

Archived