Heritage Owners Club

Heritage HFT 450 Custom...in the house

brentrocks

I was intrigued by the craiglist ad posted this morning for the Heritage HFT 450 in Kalamazoo. I called the dude and made an appointment this morning to go see the guitar.

The work day couldn't go fast enough!!

I got to the dudes house and produced the goods! At first glance, i notices the saddle was VERY HIGH and there was a slight crack in the bookmatch on the top below the bridge. So the action was super high, but everything else checked out....no major dings, dents, breaks, etc. and the neck was straight!

We talked $$$, and i wasn't going to pay full asking price with the crack...we agreed on a price and i took it to Petes to see if he could remedy the high action. He also said that the crack was meerly a cosmetic thing, nothing to worry about.

Pete took 1 look and said...that saddle is WAY TOO HIGH....he took it out and sanded it down to make the action with in stock specs. The serial # is very hard to read but it is a B 1985!!!!

Then i took it home for a new set of Elixirs and a MAJOR CLEANING!!!! It sounds wonderful!!! This must have been a very early production flattop....B code flattops must be pretty scarce.....and this one with the split blocks, premium wood, matching/bound head.....she's a looker!!!! And a HSC!!!! It was said to be a former employees guitar...and the upgrades show it!!!

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks really really nice... Congrats on the snag.

I saw where this was located.. Put 2 and 2 together and it equalled the Bretasaurus. So I was somewhat expecting to see this posting.

Might have to arm wrestle the Dixie cup for it when your ready to move it on.

Wow... it looked great in the small pics... but that is awesome..

It's got all the right stuff... 5 pc neck , split blocks, matching headstock, fpremium flamed maple back and sides, end pin inlay, ebony board and tailpiece, signed label, 1985, premium spruce top. ...

Dude , that one is exceptional.. really nice.

Great design.. they could make these again now like this one , and they'd sell..

Whoa!! Nicest Heritage acoustic ever. You had better keep it in a safe or start taking it with you like a mother carries a baby.

Ok, I'm in lust.

That appears to be a VERY interesting acoustic. Can I be third on the (refusal) match?

I'll take 4th.

The split in the spruce top is actually a better tone producer. You can ask Jim. Do you have a close up of that?

can't wait to see this one in a month.

Thanks guys! I have been trying to get the new strings broke in. And of course my finger still wont let me fret a note with it....so im playing it a little. I just had a hunch about this one, well, and Heritage flattop is worth checking out!!

for being the smaller body style, VS 445, it still has a thick tone...a little bright, but yet good mids and bass...and VERY LOUD!!!! the neck is pretty slim. i will do a sound clip when my finger heals.

Now the dilemma....

i will probably need to sell the 535 custom? if anybody is interested, drop me a line.

Stunningly beautiful. Wish I needed one and could find one just like it. Let us know howw it sounds once the strings are on and your fingers are fixed and flying.

Tal

Once again you find and post a fine example of a special instrument we never knew existed.

Thank you Brent for making this site an electronic history of Heritage models and one-off from 1984 through ?

Gasp and GAS. Better than Miss February.

Well, seeing as I am now number 5, or is it 7, might I suggest an auction when this beauty moves on? Thanks for putting this up, it is a treat.

Not sure about your inventory right now, but if you have a spruce top 575, blond with chrome and a floating PU, I would be happy to ante up.

Ned

Archived