Heritage Owners Club

What kind of guitar stand won't hurt the finish?

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I hear that rubber hurts the nitrocellulose, but most stands use rubber or synthetic rubber.

Advice please.

The surgical tubing stands of old need to be thrown away immediately if you have nitro guitars, which you do. They are fine for Mexican Fenders, Epiphones, et al, but NOT American Fenders, Gibsons, or our beloved Heritages. I know, I "burned" the neck on my then new American Deluxe Strat shortly after I got it by leaving it out on a cheap surgical tubing stand. I was sick about it then, and, even though I had it scraped off/buffed out, it's still noticable in both appearance and feel on the back of the neck around the 7th or 8th fret. DON'T use these stands!

I don't trust any of 'em.

I put soft cloths between the rubber and the guitar...always

Every stand or wall hanger has a soft guitar polishing cloth on it any where it touches the finish

1. It protects the finish

2. It reminds me to wipe the strings after I play

An ounce of prevention and all that jazz

I hear that rubber hurts the nitrocellulose, but most stands use rubber or synthetic rubber.

Advice please.

i use Hercules. "specially formulated foam" for contact points. not much detail on their website but dealers & luthiers i know approve, so...

Every stand or wall hanger has a soft guitar polishing cloth on it any where it touches the finish

1. It protects the finish

2. It reminds me to wipe the strings after I play

An ounce of prevention and all that jazz

+1..These are fine instruments..you don't want to ruin em..

I have Peavy stands with black foam tubing and never had a problem.

Most of my guitars are the Heritage variety sitting in them.

i use Hercules. "specially formulated foam" for contact points. not much detail on their website but dealers & luthiers i know approve, so...

I use the same.... and I still put some polishing clothes over top the contact points of the stand.... probably over kill, I know.

The "Flip It" stand by On-Stage Stands . . . ** Patented Flip Down design for one hand operation

** Flat front yoke will not snag your guitar strings

** Exclusive velveteen foam rubber will not stain

or harm guitar finishes

** Folding design forthe guitarist on the go

That's their marketing verbiage taken directly from one of the many Flip It stands I am currently using

well, a good rule is to simply not keep the guitar on a stand long enough for damage to happen. I've had to repair stand rash on several guitars, and it's annoying.

As for Fender guitars, most of the "bread and butter" American series like the AM std have polyurethane finishes, which should be relatively impervious to just about any kind of stand. If they have nitro, or nitro over poly (highway one series) they have issues.

Guest mgoetting
well, a good rule is to simply not keep the guitar on a stand long enough for damage to happen. I've had to repair stand rash on several guitars, and it's annoying.

As for Fender guitars, most of the "bread and butter" American series like the AM std have polyurethane finishes, which should be relatively impervious to just about any kind of stand. If they have nitro, or nitro over poly (highway one series) they have issues.

Does it help to wipe the guitar off when you take it off of the stand?

Does it help to wipe the guitar off when you take it off of the stand?

Not really, the reaction from the stand may have already resulted

Archived