Heritage Owners Club

Plain G on a 137?

Ben

So... my H137TV was fiished getting set up - went to pick it up and dang if there isn't a wound G on it. Then I notice the bridge is compensated for a wound G and I'd never be in tune no matter what with a plain G on it. That ain't gonna work for me - I need to be able to push that G up a minor third and there's just not enough fretboard to do it with a wound G.

I'm not really interested in the intonatable wraptails out there (at least not yet). What's a good choice in a wraptail compensated for a plain G?

I've looked around a bit and am leaning toward the AMD/Allparts. I'd really prefer to start with one like stock but comped for a plain G, though.

Guest mgoetting
Depends on the guitar.

The 140, I use the D'Addario 10ga with the wound G.

Good choice.

because most of the original guitars that used the wraptail had a wound G, almost all are compensated like that.

Now, I didn't even know you could get a .10 set with a wound G. thoughts? How is the sound? is it easier to keep in tune than the dreaded unwound G?

Ironic that I like 11s on this scale, but need a plain G...

I made the call for the AMD this afternoon so we'll see how that goes. I'm gonna hang on to the stock bridge in case my needs change down the road.

Thanks for the suggestions - it's good to be aware of the alternatives if this doesn't work out. My main use for guitars generally involves an accordion, so I think a fully adjustable bridge is probably not all that important.... if you've ever been to SW Louisiana you know what I'm talking about.

I played the TV for about an hour last night on the couch and man, what a solid playing instrument. Each string seems much fuller than my 140. I'm gonna give it to Alison P to play until I can get it in for the new bridge.

and yes, I'll try to get pictures up!

I played the TV for about an hour last night on the couch and man, what a solid playing instrument. Each string seems much fuller than my 140. I'm gonna give it to Alison P to play until I can get it in for the new bridge.

and yes, I'll try to get pictures up!

we're at Taste of Buffalo Sun at 2:30 then next weekend Sat Burger Fest in Hamburg (4-7 I think) and Nietszche's Sunday 8-11 if anyone in WNY wants to swing by... All free shows. (Tips and heavy drinking at Nietszche's would be appreciated since there's no guaranteed $ for that one).

post-1415-1278787060_thumb.jpg

Archived