Heritage Owners Club

Buying a new Heritage- maybe. Need advice.

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I've always favored the Golden Eagle. The three limitations I had with mine are eliminated in a 2007 custom GE I saw at Jay's. It's got a wider nut for my fat fingers, a Florentine cutaway, and a fixed pup.

Here's the dilemma. I almost never buy new. And when I do it's because I have played the guitar and know I like it plus I create a relationship with a local dealer if problems arise. Wolfe's is in Florida.

If I were to custom order the same guitar from a local dealer, I could literally watch Heritage build it so the neck is just right, etc. I'd also order a different finish, but the finish on the extant GE is fine also- not a deal breaker. And I haven't seen a GE neck I didn't like anyway.

If I were to get such a guitar I would hang on to it indefinitely. I've had two GEs and know exactly what works for me.

I'm asking for some thoughtful responses. Money is an issue but value is a stronger one.

I'm in no hurry. I don't mind if it takes 18 months.

Thanks.

Hi Mark,

You don't say if there is a reason why you almost never buy new. Is there ? Can you expand on what you mean by 'value' is important to you ? Do you mean resale value ? 'Value' as in getting a good deal ? or some other kind of value ?

I have bought two Heritages from Jay Wolfe at Wolfe Guitars and I've seen dozens of other folks on this forum who've bought from them as well. That's part of the reason I felt good about choosing to buy from them. I figured that as the largest seller of Heritages they might have more leverage with the Heritage folks should there be any points of contention. I don't know if in fact they do enjoy such leverage but it seemed reasonable to assume they might. Both my purchases from Wolfe worked out great and I'd love to buy another one someday from them some day !

Tal

Guest mgoetting
Mark, it wouldn't matter what dealer you custom ordered thru. Since you live in Mecca. :headbang:

It does matter. There's essentially no shipping if it only travels 20 miles. More importantly, I can visit the dealer from time to time if the need arises. Shipping back and forth to Florida is not convenient, to say the least.

On the other hand, the chance I would ever need to ship to Florida is remote. It would be under warranty and I would drop it off on Parsons. Even that is highly unlikely. I've never had to do that yet.

I've heard only great things about Jay. And he's been the #1 supporter of Heritage as a dealer. That has to be considered, too.

Guest mgoetting
Hi Mark,

You don't say if there is a reason why you almost never buy new. Is there ? Can you expand on what you mean by 'value' is important to you ? Do you mean resale value ? 'Value' as in getting a good deal ? or some other kind of value ?

I have bought two Heritages from Jay Wolfe at Wolfe Guitars and I've seen dozens of other folks on this forum who've bought from them as well. That's part of the reason I felt good about choosing to buy from them. I figured that as the largest seller of Heritages they might have more leverage with the Heritage folks should there be any points of contention. I don't know if in fact they do enjoy such leverage but it seemed reasonable to assume they might. Both my purchases from Wolfe worked out great and I'd love to buy another one someday from them some day !

Tal

I use the term value to denote things that extend beyond money. If I were interested in reselling it, I simply would never buy new.

Value to me includes not getting a guitar that is flawed and is set up correctly. When I pay retail, I expect there to be fewer hassles and to have an advocate if the product needs warranty work.

The reason I rarely buy new is because the financial worth of an instrument drops immediately, just like a car. That drop doesn't matter if I keep something for a long time, meaning ten years or more. I got my 345 new many years ago and kept it a long time, until I had to sell my last guitar when the babies came. No regrets. But I now have a used 555 and couldn't be happier with it.

I don't fault anyone who buys new. You pay more and expect more. It's that simple. Growing up in Kalamazoo, no one (slight exaggeration) bought new Gibsons except employees who then sold them to the rest of us. So my situation is different I suppose. When you have an unusual guitar in mind, used often isn't an option.

M,

Why not call Jay? He could ship you the GE. With his return policy if you want a new custom he keeps the deposit and you get to watch a new one being made. Meanwhile you discuss the cost difference vs the 18 month wait and shipping costs to Florida. I don't think there would be a problem picking up a new custom at the Factory plus having it set up for your liking. I would disagree about not minding the 18 month wait once you made the deposit but it would be cool to select the wood and neck carve.

It won't take 18 months, more like 4 months max!

And for the record, all 4 of my special custom orders have exceeded my expectations!!!

And they are truly built to my specs and my custom desires!!!!!!!!

I agree that using a dealer in Florida is a non-issue, it shouldn't be much of a factor unless you have a local dealer that you prefer to patronize instead.

You just need to figure how many things you'd change from the one at Wolfe, if you were to custom order one, and then decide how important that is to you.

Tough choice .. good luck.

I don't fault anyone who buys new. You pay more and expect more. It's that simple. Growing up in Kalamazoo, no one (slight exaggeration) bought new Gibsons except employees who then sold them to the rest of us. So my situation is different I suppose. When you have an unusual guitar in mind, used often isn't an option.

One of the main reasons I bought my 575 new was because I wanted to support Heritage guitars. I spent about $800 more than I would have on the used market but I got the exact guitar that I wanted and I got the feeling of pride that comes along with supporting this unique American guitar company.

Buying used is an amazing value but Heritage needs new sales to keep them going. Seems like buying new would be a no brainer especially as it means supporting an amazing company right in your own community!

Aside from that, it sounds like what you really want is to order a custom Golden Eagle so I say go for it!. :thumbsup:

Guest mgoetting
I agree that using a dealer in Florida is a non-issue, it shouldn't be much of a factor unless you have a local dealer that you prefer to patronize instead.

You just need to figure how many things you'd change from the one at Wolfe, if you were to custom order one, and then decide how important that is to you.

Tough choice .. good luck.

Tough choice but no angst! It's really hard to lose at this.

It does matter. There's essentially no shipping if it only travels 20 miles. More importantly, I can visit the dealer from time to time if the need arises. Shipping back and forth to Florida is not convenient, to say the least.

On the other hand, the chance I would ever need to ship to Florida is remote. It would be under warranty and I would drop it off on Parsons. Even that is highly unlikely. I've never had to do that yet.

I've heard only great things about Jay. And he's been the #1 supporter of Heritage as a dealer. That has to be considered, too.

What I meant, Mark, is that regardless of whom you order thru, living in K'zoo gives you the option to visit the factory to see your guitar being built. Thats an option and a plus that not too many on the HoC have. Doubt you'd have to wait for it to be shipped back from Florida, either.

Guest mgoetting
What I meant, Mark, is that regardless of whom you order thru, living in K'zoo gives you the option to visit the factory to see your guitar being built. Thats an option and a plus that not too many on the HoC have. Doubt you'd have to wait for it to be shipped back from Florida, either.

I see.

You may be from Peculiar, but you're making sense.

One of the main reasons I bought my 575 new was because I wanted to support Heritage guitars. I spent about $800 more than I would have on the used market but I got the exact guitar that I wanted and I got the feeling of pride that comes along with supporting this unique American guitar company.

Buying used is an amazing value but Heritage needs new sales to keep them going. Seems like buying new would be a no brainer especially as it means supporting an amazing company right in your own community!

Aside from that, it sounds like what you really want is to order a custom Golden Eagle so I say go for it!. :thumbsup:

JP . . . just a quick response to your comments . .. even before I give my opinion to mgoetting. While your reason for buying new in support of Heritage makes good sense, as opposed to buying used from an individual, that's not necessarily the case as it relates to buying from Wolfe Guitars. When Jay sells this Golden Eagle, he's probably gonna immediately order a new one to replace it. Jay is astute enough to understand that he makes money by having the goods in stock. He also understands that in today's economy, he can't carry excessive inventory either. So, whether Mark buys a new Golden Eagle, or the one at Wolfe's . . . . either way, Heritage is gonna get an order for a Golden Eagle. But, Heritage probably won't get an order from Wolfe Guitars for an into stock Golden Eagle until he sells one or more odf the 3 he has in stock

JP . . . just a quick response to your comments . .. even before I give my opinion to mgoetting. While your reason for buying new in support of Heritage makes good sense, as opposed to buying used from an individual, that's not necessarily the case as it relates to buying from Wolfe Guitars. When Jay sells this Golden Eagle, he's probably gonna immediately order a new one to replace it. Jay is astute enough to understand that he makes money by having the goods in stock. He also understands that in today's economy, he can't carry excessive inventory either. So, whether Mark buys a new Golden Eagle, or the one at Wolfe's . . . . either way, Heritage is gonna get an order for a Golden Eagle. But, Heritage probably won't get an order from Wolfe Guitars for an into stock Golden Eagle until he sells one or more odf the 3 he has in stock

Ah, I see. I must've misunderstood the original post and the 'I don't fault people who buy new' comment!

I thought buying new or used was part of the dilemma. :thumbsup:

I agree with fredzepp. If you want something different than what Jay has, then it makes good sense to custom order. However, if the guitar at Wolfe's causes you to drool (as it has me). . . then it makes sense to buy that one. I pulled that guitar up and looked at it at least 50 times. It's a seriously beautiful guitar!! I don't know if you've discussed price yet with Wolfe's, but the florentine cutaway, 1-3/4" neck and wood package are all upcharges. If that GE isn't just what you want, I'd go custom order.

Huh. Guess this Californian didn't score any points for advocating the support of the local Kalamazoo economy lol. :unsure:

Did in my book. I've custom ordered 2 guitars to support the boys. And ... because I could. And if they still did the STAT I'd order another one. :thumbsup:

Only one of my 3 H150s was custom-ordered from Jay, but if I wasn't about to put my youngest stepdaughter through college, I'd be ordering another right now. In fact, I may do it this year anyway. Jay treated me more than well, and I'd not hesitate to spend the extra $$$ again.

rooster.

Guest mgoetting
Only one of my 3 H150s was custom-ordered from Jay, but if I wasn't about to put my youngest stepdaughter through college, I'd be ordering another right now. In fact, I may do it this year anyway. Jay treated me more than well, and I'd not hesitate to spend the extra $$$ again.

rooster.

That's important to know.

YES, YES, that is what I am talking about!!!

Great to have others voice the same thing I would have said!!!

+1 JP

Just saw a classic Eagle that someone in K'zoo was selling (on CL), but $2600.00 is a bit too much for me right now....

Archived