Heritage Owners Club

Mesa DC-5 In the house!

So, I had been thinking about getting some kind of mesa amp for a while, but the mark series and rectos just don't do it for me. Then, I saw two DCs for sale on the hamer board, a DC-5A, and a DC-5. Well after a week the DC-5 was still there, so I went for it. I'm too lazy to take new pics, so here are the pics from before it shipped:

DC5a.jpg

DC5b.jpg

Dual channels, reverb, footswitchable graphic EQ, full tone stack on each channel with channel master and overall master volumes. Overall master has been modded to be more "linear", as opposed to getting too loud too fast. Condition was great for an amp it's age. two of the leather corner protectors were replaced prior to shipment. it's got a few dings/etc but nothing major. Everything works as it should, and there is even a nice little pouch inside the cabinet for the footswitch.

The Graphic EQ is either only available on the lead channel, or on both channels. The standard setup is for it to be available only on the lead channel.

So, the review:

Clean/Rhythm channel: This is an actual GOOD clean. Very fender like. Nice bell sound with a 3d Feel. probably would be great for taking pedals. You can crank up the pre gain and get a bit of hair if you want. But if you want "crunch", there is a nice handy pull boost on the pre-gain that turns it from a clean channel to a Crunch/Rhythm channel. The character is completely changed, and it can be made to really cook, especially with higher output pickups.

Lead channel: LOTS of crunch. It gets a great classic rock sound that is very tweakable with the tone stack. If you push the gain way up, you get some nice sustaining lead sounds. And then, there is the graphic EQ. You can use it as a boost, or to completely re-shape the sound. Considering I had a Mesa amp, and the 5 band graphic EQ, I put it in the classic "V" pattern, engaged the EQ, and there was the "Boogie sound" totally mid scooped, lots of chunk, and ready to tear ass.

So, if you are looking for something from mesa boogie that is simple and pretty affordable (I paid $725 shipped for this one and it's got some great tubes in it), this is a good choice

Right now I'm mulling over getting a replacement aluminum "tube guard" that would have been in the back of the amp. A lot of people end up removing and tossing these.

Great amp. I always considered the DC-5 to be the 'Mini Mark IV'.

DC-5's can sound twice their size if an extension speaker is added.

I actually have an 8 ohm extension cabinet loaded with 2 16 ohm texas heat speakers. That could be interesting... HEHEHEH.

Archived