Heritage Owners Club

DIY amp kit

I would love to get into building amps as a hobby but I am a little unsure in which way to go to start.

What would be a good start out kit? Not so much concerned with it sounding like this that or the other amp. Just want to get a good feel for basic amp building. Would also like it to be cheap so I don't dump a lot of dough into something I might just suck at. haha.

Suggestions?

ax84.com, p1 or p1x are easy enough to do without experience, and the site provides a lot of support. If you're more into Marshall-y stuff (hi, Mark!) you can try 18watt.com; they're slightly more involved, but you should be able to pull that off, too.

ax84.com, p1 or p1x are easy enough to do without experience, and the site provides a lot of support. If you're more into Marshall-y stuff (hi, Mark!) you can try 18watt.com; they're slightly more involved, but you should be able to pull that off, too.

Fair enough! THanks for the info. Probably just do one of these for ease of start.

I think with either the ax84.com or 18watt.com, you can find suppliers of "whole kits". I would recommend, however, that you just get the parts list, schematic and layout and then source everything yourself through Mouser or Antique Electronic Supply. I thought that was very rewarding.

In addition to what the others have mentioned I've heard good things about the Weber kits (yes Ted Weber of Weber speakers fame).

Soultone, Trinity, GCS, Metroamp, and Kendrick, to name a few, all sell amp kits. I've heard good reports about all of them. One of these days, in my copious spare time, I'd like to build an amp as well. Problem is I take a look around at all the half finished projects and get a hard, cold reality check.

I think with either the ax84.com or 18watt.com, you can find suppliers of "whole kits". I would recommend, however, that you just get the parts list, schematic and layout and then source everything yourself through Mouser or Antique Electronic Supply. I thought that was very rewarding.

Rewarding, and mildly addictive!

I started with the p1 extreme from ax84.com - it was a fairly simple and quick build and sounds great.

There is also angela.com, mojotone.com, tubedepot.com, and even Alliedelec.com which are all good places to get parts

Components seem to be a little more pricey on Mojo, but I like them for amp cabinent parts - ie. grillcloth, handle, etc...

Angela.com has good prices on Hammond transformers and chassis, as well as a lot of NOS components

Allied Electric is a good source for all of the resistors and capacitors... if you want to stay really cheap.

This past week I heard two different amps that kbp810 built. Both sounded stellar!

I started with the p1 extreme from ax84.com - it was a fairly simple and quick build and sounds great.

You had a p1x there this weekend? Man, I wish I would have known that, I would have checked it out. Sometimes I think mine is way to frigging bright/icepicky. Might be the speaker, though.

You had a p1x there this weekend? Man, I wish I would have known that, I would have checked it out. Sometimes I think mine is way to frigging bright/icepicky. Might be the speaker, though.

Yep, I had that and the head to the October Club too (Did that one as a 2x12 combo, but then found a major flaw in my cabinet design and have to go back to square one on it)

On my p1x I went with a bigger Heyboer for the OT, and it's also going through 2x10 - mixed a Warehouse Vet-30 Ceramic and a Fender Blue Frame Alnico. I think mixing the two voices might be helping mine as well.

The 5e3 kit from tubedepot.com is a great build. It has everything and amazingly detailed instructions. I built mine in a week working part time on it and it sounds great! I have used it in practice and jam nights too. Perfect size and natural tube break up. Check out the video on their site. He runs through the build process in fast forward but cool to watch. I think I paid around $600.00 and I love the amp. Good luck!

Very cool! Thanks!

I am looking forward to it. Not sure when I'd get my start... but i am looking forward to it.

Barry,

The very simplest circuits (besides being wonderful sounding) are the best place to start. You don't need to spend much money to start with, and you can tweak them until they deliver tones you only fantasized or were curious about before. You will learn the most easily about tonal cause and effect relationships during experimenting within the simplest circuits. I bet you don't currently own a single ended amp... One preamp tube, one rectifier tube, one power tube. Tweed or earlier Champ is tough to beat. Amps that have pairs of power tubes most of the time are called push pull designs, more to "have to get right" to make them sound their best. More complex than single ended, more parts. Check out the Weber site for 5f1 or earlier within the "Champ" thang... kits. And read, read, read!

Peace.

Barry,

The very simplest circuits (besides being wonderful sounding) are the best place to start. You don't need to spend much money to start with, and you can tweak them until they deliver tones you only fantasized or were curious about before. You will learn the most easily about tonal cause and effect relationships during experimenting within the simplest circuits. I bet you don't currently own a single ended amp... One preamp tube, one rectifier tube, one power tube. Tweed or earlier Champ is tough to beat. Amps that have pairs of power tubes most of the time are called push pull designs, more to "have to get right" to make them sound their best. More complex than single ended, more parts. Check out the Weber site for 5f1 or earlier within the "Champ" thang... kits. And read, read, read!

Peace.

Great advice that I would agree with 100%.

Archived