Heritage Owners Club

Lets Discuss Heritage Amplification Boutique Amps!

Gitfiddler

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Biasing a Heritage amp, from their original (now defunct) website!

BIASING INSTRUCTIONS (From owner's manual)

Disclaimer: Do not attempt this procedure unless you have complete understanding of these instructions, and realize that there are lethal voltages present inside the amp, even when turned off!

Biasing Instructions:
These instructions are here to help you properly bias your
power tubes when replacing them with new ones. To do this,
all you need is a multi-meter and a small flat head screwdriver.
This is a safe and quick method for biasing your tubes and
keeps your amplifier functioning properly. Your amplifier has
3 bias test points, 2 Red and 1 Black (ground connection), and
an adjustable bias potentiometer attached to the back of the
chassis. The Red test points will allow you to read the current
draw of each tube and the bias pot will let you adjust the bias
current when you change your power tubes.

1. Insert new power tubes; allow warming up on Stand-by for at
least 5 minutes.

2. Adjust the bias pot to the full clockwise position with a small
flat head screwdriver before the amp is taken off Stand-by. This
ensures that the tubes will not be running too hot before a bias
adjustment can be made.

3. Set your volt meter to the lowest DC volts settings, and insert
the negative probe of your volt meter into the Black ground connection.
Each power tube has its own Red colored probe connection,
allowing the user to check the bias of each tube. Insert the
positive probe of your volt meter into either Red jack.

4. For amps using 6L6 power tubes, adjust the bias pot to give a
reading between 25 to 35 mv for each tube. For amps using
6V6's adjust the bias between 18-27mv. For amps using EL34's
adjust the bias between 30-40mv. Lower settings will sound
cleaner with longer tube life. Higher settings will have an earlier
break-up and shorter tube life. A properly matched set of tubes
will generally be less than 5mv off from each other.

5. Leave the amp on for at least 20 minutes and re-check the
bias. Tubes will drift over time and checking and adjusting the
bias periodically will extend the life of your tubes.

Heritage Amplifiers of Tennessee

500 Wilson Pike Circle #204, Brentwood, TN 37027

615-377-4913 • fax 615-373-4986

Jeff, where have you been? You are THE Heritage Amp dude! :icon_salut:

yeahman. for some reason i wasn't getting notifications.

anyway, everything you've posted so far has been right on. & thanks for the el34world link

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My first post here so greetings. I just purchased a Heritage Freedom amp in immaculate condition. It is an orange color, not ugly but it would not have been my first choice. Does anyone have information on serial numbers to date the manufacture. It has a "Patriot" Swamp Thang 12 inch speaker installed, and I have the original Jensen. I will try to post some pictures.

Many thanks for any information.

Hi,

My first post here so greetings. I just purchased a Heritage Freedom amp in immaculate condition. It is an orange color, not ugly but it would not have been my first choice. Does anyone have information on serial numbers to date the manufacture. It has a "Patriot" Swamp Thang 12 inch speaker installed, and I have the original Jensen. I will try to post some pictures.

Many thanks for any information.

Hey Doc3~ Welcome to the HOC.

There isn't much information out there about the Freedom. You've got one of the earliest Heritage amps made!

Here is the only link that I've found: http://www.delortoguitar.com/amps.asp

amp_freedom.gif

never did learn to decipher serial numbers, but am pretty sure that design was discontinued in 2005, probably early that year. maybe Greg Delorto or Jay Wolfe could help. a call to Paul Cochrane might do it - be sure to order a Timmy pedal, cuz you might love it and can try it for free-money back after a week trial, and help one of the great guys in the business.

Looks like it's very similar to a Kenny Burrell model.

Correct. The early models were a building platform that Cochrane and his team tweaked over the years, thus a few similar internal tone stack designs, housed in slightly different cabs. The jazz combo's seemed to see the most subtle changes from what I've read. Also, keep in mind that Mather was also improving, tweaking, updating the cabs at the same time.

Hey Doc3~ Welcome to the HOC.

There isn't much information out there about the Freedom. You've got one of the earliest Heritage amps made!

Here is the only link that I've found: http://www.delortoguitar.com/amps.asp

amp_freedom.gif

Thanks for the response. I have now had some more time to look at the amp. It appears from the pictures to be the Kenny Burrell model. However, where the Kenny Burrell signature is located in the pictures of these amps, on mine there is "K 38". There is a beautiful cherry panel, and a cherry "Heritage" on the face of the guitar. The amp is in new condition and with cover signed inside by Uncle Junky 2-04-05. The controls from the photographs appear to be in the same position on the Akan and the one I have. The color is a Orange Julius shade. The cover is a maroon. I cannot see any serial numbers.

The sound is remarkable.

Best,

Thanks for the response. I have now had some more time to look at the amp. It appears from the pictures to be the Kenny Burrell model. However, where the Kenny Burrell signature is located in the pictures of these amps, on mine there is "K 38". There is a beautiful cherry panel, and a cherry "Heritage" on the face of the guitar. The amp is in new condition and with cover signed inside by Uncle Junky 2-04-05. The controls from the photographs appear to be in the same position on the Akan and the one I have. The color is a Orange Julius shade. The cover is a maroon. I cannot see any serial numbers.

The sound is remarkable.

Best,

Should not be "Akan", rather Kenny Burrell.

The sound is remarkable.

Best,

Hey Doc~ Time permitting, how about sharing a photo or two...or three of your amp.

It sounds like a sweet rig.

I am not the most tech savy and I hope this works. I appreciate your assisting in identifying what the amp is. It is called a KB 38 but I cannot find any information about such a model. It is a beautiful amp and sounds amazing. I have difficulty trying to see the pictures of the Heritage amps I could find on the internet on my Ipad at home.

Heritage007.jpg

Heritage005.jpg

Heritage004-1.jpg

Heritage003-1.jpg

Heritage002-2.jpg

Heritage001.jpg

Heritage008.jpg

The last photo is a Telecaster Deluxe Plus I recently acquired in a difficult to find color of Titty Pink. It is an amazing guitar in pristine condition, I picked it up in LA where I also purchased the amp. The person I bought the amp from said he was the second owner but rarely played it and has moved back to accoustic guitars.

Many Thanks for the assistance!

I am not the most tech savy and I hope this works. I appreciate your assisting in identifying what the amp is. It is called a KB 38 but I cannot find any information about such a model. It is a beautiful amp and sounds amazing. I have difficulty trying to see the pictures of the Heritage amps I could find on the internet on my Ipad at home.

Heritage007.jpg

Heritage005.jpg

Heritage004-1.jpg

Heritage003-1.jpg

Heritage002-2.jpg

Heritage001.jpg

Heritage008.jpg

The last photo is a Telecaster Deluxe Plus I recently acquired in a difficult to find color of Titty Pink. It is an amazing guitar in pristine condition, I picked it up in LA where I also purchased the amp. The person I bought the amp from said he was the second owner but rarely played it and has moved back to accoustic guitars.

Many Thanks for the assistance!

What a great looking KB amp, you have! I bet that Swamp Thang is a screamin' clean speaker.

And by the way, don't ever tell our friend Kuz you call your Strat "Titty Pink"!! He calls it SALMON!! LOL!! :laughing4:

I bought the Tele from Jac Ttanna a real gentlman and amazing guitar player with a history in rock that goes back into the '60's.

It is a hard color to decide what it is. I understand that the colors fade over the years and to find the original color one needs to take the cover off where it has not been exposed. Here is a very informative site on these guitars: http://xhefriguitars.com/page2.html

Tell Kuz real men play Titty Pink :icon_pirat: There was no Salmon listed in the colors that were available for the Deluxe Plus. Mine is either Dusty Rose or Shell Pink.

I found this on you tube and this amp looks like mine, but it has the Kenny Burrell signature where mine says KB 38. (Fashion tip for the guitar player in the video wearing the cut-off T-Shirt. If you stand in the sun and can see the hair on your upper arms in your shadow you may want to re-think cutting of the sleaves. IMHO):

Any information is appreciated.

I just found this bit of information:

"The Freedom Kenny Burrell 38

Not just the little brother to the Kenny Burrell, this amp is a lightweight (38lbs), 1x12 combo, using a neodymium magnet speaker. 50 watts with a pair of 6L6's, this amp has one of the best sounds you've ever heard in a small combo amp. An alder name and faceplate also make it one of the best looking!"

Archived