Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Amp Serial Number Decode

bsck1

Does anyone know how to read the serial numbers on Heritage Amplification Amps? I spoke with Paul Cochrane this past Monday and other than know somehow it depicted the unit of the day and date we really didn't understand the owners scheme

Typical serial numbers look like:

2P0201007

My best guess is: 2nd unit of the day, Patriot, Feb 1, 2007.

Anyone know for sure? We could add the info the the Heritage Amplification thread so it's retrievable for anyone interested.

I apologize if the info is on the forum somewhere and my searches just missed it

Thanks for any help.

Brian

The key to decoding is to either find the code book or gather as many codes as you can. I'll try to open my amps and post the serial #s here. If other Heritage owners will do the same, we can start to identify the pattern and figure this out.

I'm confused about the conversation with Paul Cochrane. Are you saying that the designer of these amps does not understand the serial numbers?

I'll check my amps and post the serial numbers along with others. Maybe we can make sense of them.

Did Paul participate in building them, or just design the circuits? I thought Heritage Amplifiers was Lane Zastrow and some MacDonald guy...Michael? Can't remember his first name. If Cochrane wasn't there for the production, he may not know how they serialized them.

Here's pretty much what Paul said. The firm had been up and running for a year or so before he joined them and the serialization process was in place when he arrived. He just never needed to understand the scheme

Paul said the models that predate his circuit designs are those with the gold nameplates and gold faceplates. His designs were incorporated with the black plexi plates.

He also mentioned at their height of production output they delivered between 20-30 units a month.

The Gear Page has a few discussions about Heritage Amplification where Paul Cochrane chimed in.

Here are a few of his quotes about them from over the years:

11/2004..."...The owner of Heritage amps used to be a partner of Mike Hollands. They had a company called L&M (Lane and Mike). Mike made the amps, and Lane sold them. A little over a year ago that deal ended with the two guys going different ways. As far as I know Holland is still making amps. Lane wanted to keep going with a new line of amps, and formed a new company with another partner. The guys that worked with Mike stayed with Lane. The first few Heritage amps looked a bit like Hollands because that's how they knew to build things. They were using the same cab shops and such. I was brought on as the design guy back in May of 2004. Since then we've changed everything about the company. The amps are not reworked Hollands, but circuits I've been putzing around with for years. We've got some monster guitar players working here, and everybody has an input into the amps (but I am the most headstrong about it to be honest). Also we now have an in house cab maker that used to make cabs for Mojave/Carr/Barber etc... The new amps don't look or sound anything like Hollands. That picture of the Heritage amp shown is one of the old amps made before I came on and changed everything up . The new amps don't look like that, and the circuits are very different.

The tie in with Holland was on the biz side of things. That ended, and this is something new. Nothing underhanded about any of this. It's just about two guys ending a deal, and both going on with something else. The Heritage amps are about as far removed as you can get from Hollands and still have tubes in them!!

the Kenny Burrell amp is the same in name only. The new model is a totally different circuit and cab made for him. Holland made a model for him before, but Kenny decided to go with Heritage after the split, and we made him a new signature model. It's blue because that's what he wanted!!..."

4/2009..."The amp does have a standby position, but it's different than the average amp. It works by lifting the center tap of the main B+ windings (there's 2 in that amp). There could be many things going on that could cause what you're saying though. A bad stby switch could be one. It's an easy circuit that most techs would be able to figure out in a few minutes.

Heritage didn't go backrupt. What happened had to do with the guitar company reorganizing their side of the company at the end of 2007. That took several months, and during that time the amps and guitars were put on hold while everything was being reworked. It took so long that I, and the other guys working with me at the amp company decided to leave for other things. I left the company to focus on my pedals.

Instead of hiring a new crew the owner of the amp company decided to keep it on hold while they were focusing on getting the guitars back up to production with the new co-owner of the company. He plans on one day getting the amps back up and running.

anyway - hope that clears things up..."

And most recently...

11/2014..."I left Heritage back in 2008, but if you are having a problem with an amp I designed for them I will do all I can to make it right. Please contact me at 615-896-8555..."

Paulc
Timmy pedals

My (apparently) pre-Paulc Lobo is 2L0621005. The components date from 2005, so I always thought the last two digits could be the year of manufacture. Anyway, I can't imagine ever finding an amp that I will like more for what I play. And the workmanship and materials are perfect inside and out...

IMG_3570.jpg

IMAG0187_zps122fbb25.jpg

I get the feeling that these guys really cared about what they were making in Tennessee, both before and after Paul came onboard. Even though their linkage to Kalamazoo is tenuous, I think they definitely shared something with the Heritage name and the Kalamazoo tradition.

Lobo: P/T028905 Pegleg32 - I believe yours is pre-Paul and conforms to another format.

Patriot: 2P0201007 Is this your SN bsck1?

Lobo: 2L0621005

Victory: 2V0531012

Colonial: 2C1014036

It appears the SNs Post Paul C Start with a "2". {Yes DCRon, I believe, based on the logo, that yours is a Paul C design.}

Next is a character designating the amp model.

Cochrane was there between '04 and '08. Further into the same thread that guitfiddler found there is a post that says the SN has a code telling how many years Heritage amps have been in business. This is similar to Heritage Guitars using the letter A as 1984. If this is true, it follows-or at least works-that the SN beginning in the 3rd position is:

2 digit for month

2 digit date of the month

2 digit year starting with 2004 = "00"

1 digit for unit # that day

Using that we get:

Patriot: 2P0201007 Feb 01, 2004 unit # 7

Lobo: 2L0621005 Jun 21, 2004 unit # 5

Victory: 2V0531012 May 31, 2005 unit #2

Colonial: 2C1014036 Oct 14, 2007 unit #6

So far, it works. I anticipate the Britton II SN will conform. I just need to dig it out of the stack before I can do that. Any more SNs will help come on boyz, post 'em!

Thanks Greg, for the great sleuthing!

I don't yet have a Patriot, but will soon. I altered the submitted serial number in my OP example based on the format consistent among several I've inquired. I did not want to violate anyone's trust by using a real s/n in my question to the forum.

Deposit is down and road trip in the post holiday time frame.

I'll be sure to add the real deal to this thread when my Heritage safely resides in my basement.

I did get the "you're finished now, right" when I solicited the spousal approval. I'm not sure Susan found solace in my smirk.

Thanks to all for who've responded to this query. I hope serial numbers continue to get added.

Brian

sidenote re badges: i recall PaulC soliciting opinions on TGP re new logo/badge (and getting razzed by some proposals, bless 'im). so, maybe this means the older badges are not a reliable indication of PaulC design or Mike Holland.

also, Paul was part of the build crew, as well as the designer. there were only a few. Peter Mather was the cab builder and had a helper.

I was reading over on TGP and saw the Hawkeyeinexile. My first thought was: "I wonder if that's rjsanders..." Glad to see you chimed in. Your first two serial numbers fit the template above. Both amps built in '04. Can you double check the colonial #? I know PITA but it appears to be missing a number.

I also find it interesting the the first number in the Briton II is a 3. I've seen a Briton (without the "II"). I wonder if the first number (3) suggests a change to the design.

I was reading over on TGP and saw the Hawkeyeinexile. My first thought was: "I wonder if that's rjsanders..." Glad to see you chimed in. Your first two serial numbers fit the template above. Both amps built in '04. Can you double check the colonial #? I know PITA but it appears to be missing a number.

I also find it interesting the the first number in the Briton II is a 3. I've seen a Briton (without the "II"). I wonder if the first number (3) suggests a change to the design.

yeahman, "hawkeyeinexile" c'est moi

i triple-checked it, thought it kinda skimpy, but there 'tis...sometime when feeling more ambitious maybe i'll pull the chassis and look for what's stamped in it. maybe someone handprinted the Colonial in haste (?) ...

(also, maybe that first "0" s/b "O". can't tell...)

aargh, you were more right. the Colonial is 2C0520014...

also, i'm wondering if when the 3rd character is "H" it indicates "head". my vic head and brit (ii) head say "VH" and "BH"...

2 digit for month

2 digit date of the month

2 digit year starting with 2004 = "00"

1 digit for unit # that day

Using that we get:

Patriot: 2P0201007 Feb 01, 2004 unit # 7

Lobo: 2L0621005 Jun 21, 2004 unit # 5

Victory: 2V0531012 May 31, 2005 unit #2

Colonial: 2C1014036 Oct 14, 2007 unit #6

Briton II 3BH0329004 purchased new apx 9/06

Victory 2VH1222002 head, purchased used apx 4/06 (1st of its kind)

Colonial 2C0520014 purchased new apx 11/05

Liberty 3L0825005

Patriot 3P0329007

Victory 4VHO628005

As we gather more #s, I wonder if I may be off. I have no idea of how many changes were made to the designs. I recall 1 model that as a combo had reverb while the same model as a head lacked reverb. I thought the Colonial was only offered as a head. Neither of the Colonial SNs have "H".

Guitfiddler, Are any of your Heritage amps heads? Are your Liberty and Patriot combos?

Finally, Heritage amps were only in business for 5 years. So whatever place holds the year has to be within the range of 0 thru 4, or 1 thru 5. If it were the first number, it would still work according to the numbers we have so far. If / when Heritage amps lasted longer than 9 years, they could add another number out front. It is analogous to the Heritage guitar SN where they added another character to the beginning of their SNs after year 26.

We still need more data

Both my Victory and Liberty are head/cab rigs. That must explain the "H" in the Victory's SN, but there is no "H" in the Liberty's number. Hmmm.

The Victory head/cab does NOT have reverb, whereas Victory combos have reverb. Owners of Victory combos, please feel free to chime in.

Also, each of my amps appear to have been completed in 2004, if I'm understanding the sequence correctly.

Liberty

SN: 3L0825005

Patriot

SN: 3P0329007

Victory

SN: 4VHO628005

it kinda makes sense there are separate sernos for combos (V and B) and heads (VH and BH) when those were catalog items. L, C, and some others (remember the Revolution?) didn't need an extra H, cuz they were head-only configurations...not sure about Kenny Burrells. they were combo only, but there were several design iterations of 'em...

uh, i think...;D}

• 4 weeks later...

Archived