Heritage Owners Club

Anyone try Throbak strings on their Heritage?

C9Y

I tried the Hex Core pure nickel strings on a Les Paul, and have a set on my Millie. They work well, and I like the feel. But, in all honesty, I really can't tell the difference in strings from a tone standpoint. I suppose that's just a testament to my lack of skill, and the fact that I have a tin ear.

I tried the Hex Core pure nickel strings on a Les Paul, and have a set on my Millie. They work well, and I like the feel. But, in all honesty, I really can't tell the difference in strings from a tone standpoint. I suppose that's just a testament to my lack of skill, and the fact that I have a tin ear.

I think its just a testament to your honesty... Everyone has different levels of "sensitivity" to tonal changes. If you dig the feel thats a big plus. Playability is half the battle.

Is that sort of a neck profile type idea too? ;)

No, from all the variables on a guitar..... strings are the least of a factor. I have my preferred brands, but I doubt I could tell much a difference between them.

If I want a brighter or darker tone, I just use different types of picks..... which is probably the most overlooked tonal component of guitar.

I too cannot tell much difference between string makers. However, one thing to look for is how long the strings maintain their liveliness and tone.

Users of expensive Pyramid strings claim longer life and tone.

I have had excellent long life out of Pyramids (nickels, orange pack). Shortest life in my experience are Fender plated strings. Fine when new, but get stiff soon enough.

I have had excellent long life out of Pyramids (nickels, orange pack). Shortest life in my experience are Fender plated strings. Fine when new, but get stiff soon enough.

That used to be my string of choice, altho' mine were in the gray/black pack. Pricey, but you made up for it in longevity. Then, on my current guitar the ball ends wouldn't seat. So I had to get something else for that one. Still my fav string.

I have a set of the ThroBaks but have not installed them yet. Only have 3 months on the current set. Should be good for another ............... :)

I tried a set of Vintage Choice round core 10s on a Strat.

Sounded good but not a whole lot different than my usual DR blues pure nickel 10s.

Always happy to support local when it's in the budget though!

Companies like Heritage and Throbak aremost likely not rolling around in the profits.

Definitely worth a try....next time around I'll be trying out the hex core, the round cores were a little finicky at the tuning peg.

I don't change my strings all that often, as I don't get to play very often (have been known to leave 'em on for a year at a time). Usually, I'm too busy buying/selling/trading instead of playing (I know that's not good). As a result I typically don't notice the degradation of tone from strings being on for a long time. I bought 2 boxes (a dozen sets) of the Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery strings (made by Dunlop) 10-46. I really like the feel of them. The only brand that I have ever noticed a tonal change when using short term = Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys.

Archived