Heritage Owners Club

Fender Blues Deluxe

I found a guy selling a Blues Deluxe for $320....

Supposedly he had it serviced with new tubes and replaced the speaker...

Looking at it, it appears to have been sitting in a little bit of water, as the bottom edges of the cabinet show water lines.

He claims there is no smell or mold on it...

I'm not sure if I want to pay that much for it...

I played one at GC the other day, but at low volume for a few minutes...

Sounded good, but is it worth it?

To me, it seems like a larger version of a Blues Jr...

I found a guy selling a Blues Deluxe for $320....

Supposedly he had it serviced with new tubes and replaced the speaker...

Looking at it, it appears to have been sitting in a little bit of water, as the bottom edges of the cabinet show water lines.

He claims there is no smell or mold on it...

I'm not sure if I want to pay that much for it...

I played one at GC the other day, but at low volume for a few minutes...

Sounded good, but is it worth it?

To me, it seems like a larger version of a Blues Jr...

DB~Run away!

BD's are great amps. Find a dry one.

Two valuable lessons I learned from 10 plus years on a road building crew of old wise men:

1) NEVER buy anything that been in a flood.

2) Save up and buy what you REALLY want, Don't settle on what you can afford right now.

1) NEVER buy anything that been in a flood.

I can testify. Back in 95 I bought a 90 Ford F250 4x4 at a terrific price. I knew it needed work and I had plans to restore it when I bought it. It had been a work truck for a mining operation and so it showed some wear. But it had oversize load springs on the back and would haul any load and go anywhere. I drove it home and pulled the engine. There was half an inch of river silt on the intake manifold. That's the first time I had any idea it had been setting in a river. As I was restoring it, I found a water line from the headlights to the floor boards of the cab. The whole front end had to be submerged in a river a long time. I ended up replacing the engine, the brakes, the transfer case, the lights, front axle, just about every moving part on the front end. I had access to parts and could do the work myself or it would have cost me serious money. As it was I ended up loving the truck and it was pretty dependable for 14 years after I replaced everything. I was going to do some of the work anyway, but if I'd of had to pay for it instead of doing the work myself, it would have been horrible.

One story about using that truck. I loaded 3 squares of roofing shingles in the back along with the air compressor and lines and nail guns, all the felt paper and drove from Phoenix up the rim to a remote area south of Flagstaff to roof a cabin for the Boy Scouts. I must have had the better part of a ton of materials and we were going up steep grades on dirt roads and that thing just kept right on going. The other guys on the crew were having trouble in their little SUV's but with all that weight in the back, as long as I had enough power, I had no trouble getting traction. I thought I might have to hook a chain on to a few of them and tow them up the road!

I found one old photo of it...

.truck%20in%20last%20snow_zpswrqxnwqd.jpg

A friend of mine had one like that. It was a tough truck.

I had truck-envy.

I'll soon be truck-less for the first time since about 1990. My '97 GMC is still mechanically sound. The chassis and powertrain are in great shape, but the damn thing is dissolving.

The main thing I dislike about Michigan. We pour tons of salt all over the road every time we get the slightest dusting of snow, and our vehicles rust before our eyes.

I used it to pull the boats out of the lake last week and it'll be listed for sale in a couple of weeks. I may take it hunting, then I'm done with it.

Archived