Heritage Owners Club

535 vv

Jenn

Hi all,

I'm happy to find you!  This is my first post.

I'm considering making an offer on a 535.  I'm new to Heritage, but I know that I like them a lot.  I love the story; I love the quality.  Though I'm 60 years old (gulp!), I'm pretty new to electric guitar land.  I'm a gigger on solo fingerstyle acoustic, and I play fine, luthier-built instruments.

I have a question about this Heritage.  It has a "vv" designation, and I don't know what that means.  Can someone share that information with me?  I've tried Google searches and have come up empty.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to learning and sharing!

Jenn

Welcome Jenn!

Hopefully someone knows off the top of their head, but in the meantime more information would be nice. Pictures are also a big help in this regard.

If this is being offered online, reply with the link and we can scrutinize it for you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hmm the ad looks like it says " V V " and not "W"

ask the seller for a pic of the label inside the guitar?

I do not see any unique identifiers in the pictures of the guitar, unless it somehow refers to the finish?

535's are fantastic guitars, good luck!

Just now, bolero said:

oh....it has a pair of toggles for coil tapping:

"Mini-toggle switches with black tips for individual coil taps."

I also see it in the pics noww

maybe that's it. refgular 535'3 do not have that

Yes, that's right.  Seems like a possibly useful feature.

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the electronics.

The extra little toggle switches are not on most guitars of this style. They allow for a broader spectrum of sounds by electrically isolating a small subsection of each pickup.

We can get into more technical explanation if you want, but suffice to say that more options are usually welcome.

If there's some other reason for the VV moniker, I'd be surprised... but don't take my guess as gospel.

1 minute ago, khmr33 said:

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with the electronics.

The extra little toggle switches are not on most guitars of this style. They allow for a broader spectrum of sounds by electrically isolating a small subsection of each pickup.

We can get into more technical explanation if you want, but suffice to say that more options are usually welcome.

If there's some other reason for the VV moniker, I'd be surprised... but don't take my guess as gospel.

Thanks.  I'm familiar with the coil tapping thing.  A friend has that feature on his Ibanez 335 clone.  I also want to check with the seller to see if they are the original Pus.  Did Heritage use Seymour Duncans in '97, anyone know?

Jenn

Thanks.  I'm familiar with the coil tapping thing.  A friend has that feature on his Ibanez 335 clone.  I also want to check with the seller to see if they are the original Pus.  Did Heritage use Seymour Duncans in '97, anyone know?
Jenn
I think Seymour Duncans were an optional upgrade back then, but if you'll notice the pickup rings have two screws on each side rather than one. This usually suggests that the pickups are the standard Schaller pickups.

IMO $1800 is to high a price. This guitar is twenty years old, I bought my H-535 thirteen years ago for $1300 brand new.
Adjusting for inflation, it's about $1,100.

4 hours ago, t0aj15 said:

IMO $1800 is to high a price. This guitar is twenty years old, I bought my H-535 thirteen years ago for $1300 brand new.

Thanks.  I think so too.  I made an offer that is far lower.  We'll see how it turns out! 

8 hours ago, khmr33 said:

I think Seymour Duncans were an optional upgrade back then, but if you'll notice the pickup rings have two screws on each side rather than one. This usually suggests that the pickups are the standard Schaller pickups.

Great, thanks for the info.

Interesting guitar with the two toggle switches.  I'm pretty sure the pickups are Schaller Golden 50's.  I have them on my H-535.  You can always call Heritage guitars and ask them about the switches.   Good luck in your quest and welcome to the Forum.

535's are wonderful guitars.  The quality and playability are second to none. The days of purchasing used Heritages for cheap are over. I did not think the asking price of $1800 to be unreasonable. They sell used in the $1500- $1800 depending on features. Make a fair offer or move on.

7 hours ago, StephenK said:

The days of purchasing used Heritages for cheap are over. 

I dunno Stephen, somebody I know walked out of the Heritage building a month ago with one, an amazing price, lets just say he "stole it"!!! LOL

7 hours ago, StephenK said:

535's are wonderful guitars.  The quality and playability are second to none. The days of purchasing used Heritages for cheap are over. I did not think the asking price of $1800 to be unreasonable. They sell used in the $1500- $1800 depending on features. Make a fair offer or move on.

+1

I'm sure better deals can be found, but good luck finding a Gibbons 335 for $1800.

to the original question : the Var-i-phase wiring scheme was referred to as VIP. The seller was close but no cigar which mean they're not Heritage geeks, just guitar resellers hoping to make a nice margin on a great guitar. A discerning buyer like yourself, doing their homework, will get it for an honest price and be happy. 1800.00 isn't THAT egregious, but the high side for sure, IMHO. 

Congrats on the purchase. You're gonna love it

VIP system.jpg

Archived