Heritage Owners Club

How do I record Line Level Signal?

Steiner

Both my R24 and the H4n can be used as an interface, but they don't work as well for that as a good interface along.   There was more latency when I tried.   It works, but why deal with that when you can just use them alone for the recording, then dump it into the DAW.  

The new Tascam Model 24 and Zoom Livetrack 20 are great if you're wanting to do both recording and live stuff.   Both give you 16 mic channels, so you can record a pretty good sized group, and have everything dumped straight to SD card.   They work as a pretty good live mixer as well.   Tulk had his QSC Touchmix at one of the PSPs.   It does the same thing... record straight to SD or USB drive while running a live mix for the PA.   How cool is all this?

The home recording market today is incredibly capable.   It beats the crap out of the 3 channel Bogen Challenger PA amp that we used for our first system!

And we've come full circle.  I have an old Boss recorder.  It was decent back in the day (by crackie!).  It colors the sound more than I'd like so I'm looking to replace it.  My difficulty resides in limited space.  Decades of procurement has made space a limited entity.  I don't have a spot to put a computer that won't compromise the amp, recording or reside too close to magnetic speaker fields.  The Zoom looks interesting because it has two mono line-in ports and a small footprint.  Are you impressed with the sound?

The R24 is definitely better than that H4n, although that has since been revised the H4nPro, and then the H5, H6, H8 and now the R20.   I can't say how the sound compares.   I did some comparison recordings between my Tascam and the R24 and my old AW1600.   They were pretty close, although the noise levels were different.  Maybe I can dig those up.  I think it was just acoustic guitar.  

Tascam has a bunch of all-in-one box units, too.   Maybe you could find some at Guitar Center to check out.   They had several different units last time I was in there.   Things have changed some over the past few years.   Hard to believe that I bought that R24 in 2013.   9 years is an eternity in electronics.      

On 3/1/2022 at 7:51 PM, TalismanRich said:

Both my R24 and the H4n can be used as an interface, but they don't work as well for that as a good interface along.   There was more latency when I tried.   It works, but why deal with that when you can just use them alone for the recording, then dump it into the DAW.  

configuration is needed and latency becomes a parameter that can be managed
that said, I'd never buy a recorder to be used as USB card if that is the only usage I need

Archived