Heritage Owners Club

Any Sweet 16 history?

Ned

Hi all,

Introduced myself a while back, and have lurked, searched, and loitered in the gallery ever since. If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow.....

Can anyone tell the story of the Sweet 16? When it went into production, how many were/are made, any evolution in specs or appointments or similar factoids?

It seems to fit in the line behind the artist guitars and Eagles.

I'm off for a long drive - 5+ hours - to play a guitar and bring it home if everything is as described over the phone.

Ned

sweeet. no pun indended. Sweet 16, Ren's favorite Heritage model.

can't wait to hear how it goes, how all well.

Hi all,

Introduced myself a while back, and have lurked, searched, and loitered in the gallery ever since. If all goes according to plan, I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow.....

Can anyone tell the story of the Sweet 16? When it went into production, how many were/are made, any evolution in specs or appointments or similar factoids?

It seems to fit in the line behind the artist guitars and Eagles.

I'm off for a long drive - 5+ hours - to play a guitar and bring it home if everything is as described over the phone.

Ned

Nice one ! I hope everything works out as planned, post pics when you can.

sweeet. no pun indended. Sweet 16, Ren's favorite Heritage model.

can't wait to hear how it goes, how all well.

In an interview in Just Jazz Guitar back in 2004, I believe JP Moats tells the story. I will post it later.

From Just Jazz Guitar No. 30, Aug 2004

JB (Joe Barth): What about the SWEET 16?

JPM (JP Moats): Back when I was working for Gibson in the Custom Shop a guy called up and wanted us to build him a custom guitar and what he said that he wanted in a guitar was for it to be 16 inches wide and to play really sweet (laughter). In remembering that conversation, we decided to call this one of our's the Sweet 16.

can you say "road trip?" 780 miles round trip. It is good to have a good friend switching legs of the trip. Worth it? I must say, the Kay looks a bit nervous. Sleep, daylight, better photos. The serial number starts in G.....after 21 years, looks I'm the first one to play her. Still would love to know when the model launched or any other details. Thanks for the GP quote.

h1.jpg

family.jpg

can you say "road trip?" 780 miles round trip. It is good to have a good friend switching legs of the trip. Worth it? I must say, the Kay looks a bit nervous. Sleep, daylight, better photos. The serial number starts in G.....after 21 years, looks I'm the first one to play her. Still would love to know when the model launched or any other details. Thanks for the GP quote.

h1.jpg

family.jpg

Sweet! I need one of those to round out my ALSB archtop display (see avatar)! According to this link the Sweet 16 was first made in 1987. Too sleepy to research, but here's what I THINK. I always liked this model because it was something that G* never really made: a fancy, long scale, 16" carved archtop with a single floating pickup. The L-4C is somewhat similar but usually unadorned and short scale. The L-4CES is similar as well but will have two set pickups and again a short scale. So while it can be argued that a Golden Eagle is basically an L-5 and a Super Eagle is a Super 400, the Sweet 16 is a unique creation without a close precedent. Nice find! Enjoy and MORE PIX PLS!

Thank you DC Ron for the link.

The JJG quote is great too. I was too sleepy to recognize its significance in my response last night. Thank you.

Given the choice between taking pictures or playing, I'm choosing playing at least for a while. I will say quickly for those of you who love the hunt, this was a pretty amazing score. The reason I jumped in my car and drove to a mall guitar store 400 miles from home is that this 21 year-old 16 was sitting in a Guitar Center (sound of throat clearing) in the suburbs of Denver. Over the phone, the salesperson provided me with enough details to establish: 1) they wanted to make February sales targets and were willing to deal, 2) the guitar was not stolen 3) they had very little idea what they had 4) there were aspiring EVH fans with grubby fingers circling...(nothing judgmental there, actually I'm jealous that I didn't start playing when I was younger and had grubby fingers).

When I got there, she was way out of tune (like, a whole step on some strings) with thuddy and dead flats - and I like flats. Still, the amazingness was evident and condition something like an honest "very good." The bridge was set high, intonated very sharp, and the neck relief pretty deep. After a bit of playing, followed by some fussing, it seems as though she has not yet received the fret dress that this era guitar is rumored to need. I will seek professional help. And a luthier.

With rounds, her voice is exceptional and the range of dynamics is unlike anything I have found. I am still a very green player (and how I wish I meant Grant) and the range of sounds that she produces - I'm talking acoustically - is astonishing.

In the store, through a twin reverb, I found that feedback from the open 6th string could be quieted just by damping the top. wow. maybe you had to be there, but it was evident that the whole guitar was one integrated instrument (not a neck, attached to a body, with strings). I'm off. thanks for the good wishes. most happy

Congratulations.

No one will deny that that one is sweet. A True Beauty, that is.

And there is a special feeling when you pick one up that will realize it's potential with a set-up.

Therefore others don't even know how good it will become once in your possession.

Something about it ... you can almost hear how nice it will sound, just by looking at it.... enjoy.

That is a great looking Sweet 16. Some years ago, when I was really into the jazz guitar thing, I was on the hunt for one of those. The RMMGJ usenet regulars, at least those whose opinions I respected, thought very highly of that model. Alas, I went off in other directions, but I still think about picking one of those up from time to time. Nice score and bonus points for rescuing one from the clutches of the evil empire!

Ned, congratulations on your 'new' Sweet 16 and welcome to the club.

Your excitement is totally justified. As another 'Sweetie' owner (Q serial number) I can tell you that everything you do towards fixing, maintaining, upgrading, setting up, tweaking that guitar will pay off in spades. They are very special instruments that sound better with each passing year.

Yours also has optional Grover Imperials. Classy touch.

Here's a quick shot of my Almond Sunburst Sweetie. It looks a lot like yours. :P

post-8-1267386011_thumb.jpg

I've hijacked my own thread. Still curious about any production statistics you may have.

Thank you all for sharing my good fortune. Here are a few pictures I snapped once I finally put her down. For any of you trivia buffs, the little amp is a c. 1954 Rickenbacker Ace - meant to go with a Hawaiian lap steel. Definitely upstaged by the Sweet One. All octals through an old Rola.

sorry about the sun, photography doesn't quite have my full attention right now.

P2280002.jpg

P2280014.jpg

P2280006.jpg

Wow. Cut from the same cloth. What a beauty. I see you are from the bay area. Marin? I caught the Heritage bug at Bananas at large... Great stuff.

Ned, congratulations on your 'new' Sweet 16 and welcome to the club.

Your excitement is totally justified. As another 'Sweetie' owner (Q serial number) I can tell you that everything you do towards fixing, maintaining, upgrading, setting up, tweaking that guitar will pay off in spades. They are very special instruments that sound better with each passing year.

Yours also has optional Grover Imperials. Classy touch.

Here's a quick shot of my Almond Sunburst Sweetie. It looks a lot like yours. :P

post-8-1267386011_thumb.jpg

Archived