Heritage Owners Club

What would be the story behind the different shapes of horns on H170?

Jorgen-Denmark

I know, I know - there has been some discussion allready on the subject, but still I haven't seen anybody here at HOC come up with an plausible answer...

:uwp:

It's about the different shape of the DC-horns on the legendary H170.

In the beginning the shape was sharp like a sharkfin - just look at the '85, that Brent has. Some would think, it is the shape of the G****n LP, but in doublecut version.

In the middle of the '90, the shape became rounder, just like the car's at that time :) - an example is the custom one, Brent just have bought or the one from '98, he recently sold me (sorry, if someone haven't looked into the story of the former Mr. H170, now the one and only King of the GaryMore sign. H150).

A. One these could be it was because of the difficulty in mounting bindings.

B. Another one could be a design issue, going from an '70-80 fashion sharp shape to an '90-fashion rounder shape..

C. I have my own opinion: It looks to me that the early one's was shaped just like the H140-singlecut horns and Heritage craftmen later used the H150 singlecut horns as model for the later ones, until the model was discontinued. :'(

Feel free to contribute with opinions and views on the matter. And if some one have heard the story straight from the horse's mouth (Heritage Inc. that is), please let me/us know.

Thanks.....

Why

p1010017.jpg

p1010017.jpg_thumb

Anytime I find I have horns, I just want to get rid of 'em....                     >:D

(Sorry, all....  Very disappointing to me that this is the best I can do for my 400th post....)

I'm only guessing that it was a cosmetic change, i.e. the rounder curve looks more pleasing to my eye, the "sharkfin" cutaway doesn't suit the small body shape so much.

Maybe it was also to make the binding process easier a pointed cutaway is bound, (pardon the pun), to be more difficult to do.

Maybe it was also to make the binding process easier a pointed cutaway is bound, (pardon the pun), to be more difficult to do.

I don't see why. On my 140 (sharp fin) the binding just joins at the sharp edge. That's probably easier to manufacture than a reverse bend?

It may well be a machining thing as they no longer make the 140 (?) so there are no (solid body) sharp fin guitars.

Personally. I prefer the sharp fin though I'd expect the rounded edge is less prone to damage.

Oh... and you can't open bottles on the rounded either >:D

C. I have my own opinion: It looks to me that the early one's was shaped just like the H140-singlecut horns and Heritage craftmen later used the H150 singlecut horns as model for the later ones, until the model was discontinued.

Yep, I agree.  This is confirmed by the Milly DC, which is essentially the cutaway of the 155 on both sides.  Or the 576, which is the cutaway of the 535 only on one side.

One reason I can see turning away from the sharper horns would be if this was part of the deal they made with Gibson to avoid patent infringement (like headstock, truss rod cover, and pickguards)--although the 170 really doesn't look much like an SG.

The only reason I can see turning away from the sharper horns would be if this was part of the deal they made with Gibson to avoid patent infringement (like headstock, truss rod cover, and pickguards).

Yamaha SG Range? Just re issued so no copyright issues there ???

sg2000.jpg

Thru neck too 8)...

Wish H made one :P

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that Ibanez Artist design.  I remember when those first came out and Santana was playing one.  As I recall, the top of the line one had the tree-of-life inlay.

I was a pimply faced kid standing in Robbin's Music.  There was an Ibanez Artist on the wall.  It was a hollow body with gold hardware and a whammy bar of some sort.  I was in love.  The guy who was working the floor let me play it and asked me where I worked.  I told him that I mowed yards and had a guitar that I could trade.  He snatched the guitar from my hands and told me to get out. 

Almost 20 year later I went back into the store and the same guy came up to me and I asked him if he still had that Artist.  He had it in the back and wanted to know if I wanted to play it.  I told him that I had wanted to trade my original Firebird for it but I had just ordered and payed for a "Heritage Les Paul."  I think I saw a piece of his soul die that day. 

Thank goodness for the Internet. 

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that Ibanez Artist design.  I remember when those first came out and Santana was playing one.  As I recall, the top of the line one had the tree-of-life inlay.

Well the Ibanez Artist was born from the Greco MX guitar. Pic below...

Greco and Ibanez were both produced in the same factory but the Greco's were made entirely for the home market...

The guitar was designed for Mick Ralphs of Bad Company and he played it for a while. however they made it with an Ebony fret board and he preferred rosewood. He did like the fret access though. They apparently made him a twin neck too but I've not seen a picture of it.

I've got a Greco MX myself and I'd say it's a great guitar. Body is about the same width as a 140/170 so it's nice and light. Neck is slim, possibly too slim for western tastes.  I think it would have benefited from a thru neck though.

width=215 height=480http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj254/cosmikdebriis/grecomx600.jpg[/img]

Very interesting!  I don't know much about the Greco guitars, nor have I seen many in my guitar travels.  Was that a European import only?

ADDED: I just saw the post on the other thread about Greco.  Great info!

Archived