Heritage Owners Club

Heritage and Tele

602a

Come on guys, what about G&L, man it doesn't get any better for a Tele. All Asat models kick ass, the Blues boy, Asat Special and of coarse the Asat Classic. The Heritage guys build the best old school Gibson happening, I don't think they need to build Tele's. Just my opinion. I really don't want one company building everything anyway.

that's almost MIJ, Tokai LOL AL B

:occasion14:

I like the G&Ls. The ASAT special is great for a Tele. Good punch, rock solid bridge. MFDs. What's not to love?

Exactly what color is that?

It actually has a Shell Pink or Salmon look, but really Ron Kirn did it translucent knowing the Nitro would fade the color to Pink, um, I mean Salmon.

He kept e-mailing me picks asking if we were there yet with the color. He really nailed exactly the look I had hoped for!!!

Come on guys, what about G&L, man it doesn't get any better for a Tele. All Asat models kick ass, the Blues boy, Asat Special and of coarse the Asat Classic. The Heritage guys build the best old school Gibson happening, I don't think they need to build Tele's. Just my opinion. I really don't want one company building everything anyway.

G&L's are Tele shaped but they're different in spirit. More modern, more aggressive (plus they have that obnoxious 7 1/2" radius).

I have nothing against G&L in theory but in practice they're not for me (9 1/2" radius is already less than I'd prefer).

It actually has a Shell Pink or Salmon look, but really Ron Kirn did it translucent knowing the Nitro would fade the color to Pink, um, I mean Salmon.

He kept e-mailing me picks asking if we were there yet with the color. He really nailed exactly the look I had hoped for!!!

Check out the Kirn website, lots of good info on nitro, wood and guitar building in general. I may have to get one down the road. If interested there is one on the bay kind of heavy though at 9 lbs.

G&L's are Tele shaped but they're different in spirit. More modern, more aggressive (plus they have that obnoxious 7 1/2" radius).

I have nothing against G&L in theory but in practice they're not for me (9 1/2" radius is already less than I'd prefer).

You have several neck options on G & L s, both Legacies and ASATs. I think the 12" radius is fairly commom now.

dan

Since this has sort of turned into a tele thread, I'll add another plug for the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup for tele. This thing has much more output than a stock tele front pickup, or even an overwound one like Fralin's blues special. On the other hand, it is cleaner and snappier than a p-90. Has its own sound, one I find a really nice match for the overall vibe of a tele, at least for me. This is a favorite toy of the moment. Lollar has modified the mounting so that it is now suspended from the pickguard and adjustable (earliest version mounted to body), so easier installation and adjustable.

Only problem is that it makes the rear pickup sound anemic. Lollar has a specially-wound match, which I might have to go for down the road.

This tele is another example of the many variations --an (?? I forget what year) anniversary model, which basically means it has a rhinestone in the headstock but, more significantly, a nitro finish on the body rather than the usual Am. Standard poly.

002-18-1-1.jpg

Since this has sort of turned into a tele thread, I'll add another plug for the Lollar Charlie Christian pickup for tele. This thing has much more output than a stock tele front pickup, or even an overwound one like Fralin's blues special. On the other hand, it is cleaner and snappier than a p-90. Has its own sound, one I find a really nice match for the overall vibe of a tele, at least for me. This is a favorite toy of the moment. Lollar has modified the mounting so that it is now suspended from the pickguard and adjustable (earliest version mounted to body), so easier installation and adjustable.

Only problem is that it makes the rear pickup sound anemic. Lollar has a specially-wound match, which I might have to go for down the road.

This tele is another example of the many variations --an (?? I forget what year) anniversary model, which basically means it has a rhinestone in the headstock but, more significantly, a nitro finish on the body rather than the usual Am. Standard poly.

002-18-1-1.jpg

Does it fit in a standard humbucker route? What is a good match for it in the bridge?

dan

Having owne Made in Japan Tokai Strats, Tele's and now a les paul, I can tell you in all seriousness that their guitars can equal and surpass USA build qualities. I doubt that any one here will have seen the top end Tokai guitars, but the top of the range tokai Les Paul equals the quality of heritage, I have seen and played them. I have no special loyalty to Tokai, they just make superb instruments, even though their very bottom of the line stuff is not for me.

However, I am glad Heriage do not make the telecaster style, I do not believe it runs with what they are doing. Like others have said, there are other companies doing better versions than Fender do at this time. But let's consider what a tele actually is, and when you think about it, Fender are not doing a bad job with the USA version. I saw a Jap tele with bound edging and that was terrific.

Does it fit in a standard humbucker route? What is a good match for it in the bridge?

dan

The regular tele CC from Lollar does not fit a humbucker route, either for the body or the pickguard. Lollar sells pre-routed pickguards or a template that allows you to route your own. You can buy a Lollar CC in a humbucker mounting, so that would be another option, if your tele (or other guitar) was already routed for a standard bucker. I bought one of these pickups and installed it in an Eastman, but I can't comment much on it because that guitar has developed problems that need to be addressed and I'm just not much inspired to play it until I get it right. (a long story...)

The recommended match bridge pickup from Lollar also has a bar magnet and is called the B.S. Tele Bridge pickup. Never heard one, but maybe next year...

I have to throw my hat into the Tele ring. I just sold a 1997 Fender Deluxe Plus 3 Pup version not very long ago. It had a great sound, but had a smaller nut-width and fretboard radius. I guess that was why I sold her, but man, what great tones she had.

I am waiting on two H's which I hope to have soon, but I know I will one day get another Tele with say a 1 11/16 nut and a 12' radius. You can get this on a G & L ASAT Bluesboy, or a higher end Tom Anderson Tele which has a compound radius of 12 to 14 inches. I really want a Tele with a full humbucker on the neck and a Tele PUP in the bridge, and the current G & L Bluesboy comes stock with a Seth Lover in the neck and a G & L PUP in the bridge.

Since selling my Tele, my main guitar for now, is a MIM Strat which I have to say that I like very much. This guitar will have to stay in the stable, although I may possibly see myself getting another higher end version of a strat with features I like to join the current one. I will have to get the mandatory H type LP or either a Milly to finish off the collection, but these guitars give me something to dream about ,apart from waking up next to( add your dream partner here ).

002-18-1-1.jpg

The diamond in the headstock means it's a 60th anniversary model, a 2006. I like the idea of that neck pickup; I may have to look into that, thanks!

Archived