Heritage Owners Club

H535 into a Deluxe Reverb

tulk1

Slate, where does one find the AY-7s?

A 12AY7 is the same as a 6072 preamp tube. Any good tube retailer (doug's tubes, eurotube, lord valve) will have them and recommend the correct make for the amp.

Bird,

That Blues Deluxe reissue isn't quite the same beast as the DRRI. I played one of those the other day. In fact, I have even taken one home to try, before. One of my issues with that amp is exactly what you were describing - the vol is on at 2/3. Seems there's no "soft side" to that amp. The $$'s, however, were very tempting.

BTW, I asked for 40% off list. I got 39.48% off. Just an FYI for those who might think about getting one from GC.

And just for grins, here's my 157 which sounds Faboo thru the amp, as well.

h157-incase2.jpg

Sorry to go off topic here guys ....

tulk: What finish is that on the 157, that is one Grade A Awesome looking guitar.  8) 8) 8)

old style sunburst ? almond sunburst ?

Thanks

A 12AY7 is the same as a 6072 preamp tube. Any good tube retailer (doug's tubes, eurotube, lord valve) will have them and recommend the correct make for the amp.

Thanks for jumping in with info, Tulk!  I had given Bird a lengthy anecdotal response off-line.  Didn't want to bore everyone.

Sorry to go off topic here guys ....

tulk: What finish is that on the 157, that is one Grade A Awesome looking guitar.  8) 8) 8)

old style sunburst ? almond sunburst ?

Thanks

The 157 is OSB. And a nice dark OSB! (the 535 is ASB). One piece top, btw. It's a heavy MoFo, tho'. Harps back to "the day". Too heavy to use much more than a set. But then, the 535 covers the HB territory quite well, so this one is more of a closet queen.

The 157 is OSB. And a nice dark OSB! (the 535 is ASB). One piece top, btw. It's a heavy MoFo, tho'. Harps back to "the day". Too heavy to use much more than a set. But then, the 535 covers the HB territory quite well, so this one is more of a closet queen.

Thanks Tulk, that's a couple of OSB 157's I've seen posted here today, a very nice finish indeed.

I think you should take her out of the closet more often !

Thanks again.

Just wanted to give an update. The DRRI is ........... going back. I liked it, but never really bonded with the amp. The F's sound good thru it, and the H's definitely are great thru it. But honestly, I like my AC30CC1 better. It's got more chime and a bit more growl at lower levels. May look into getting another one of those, altho' the CC1's are tough to find. Wonder how the AC15 would compare?

Tulk, I have a Blue Deluxe reissue.  It is a great sounding amp with my 535s, but it has issues.

The reverb unit's base is, not on fiberboard, but cardboard.  Some day if it becomes an issue I can fix it. 

The on/off light comes and goes. 

The volume tops out between 2&3.  This is kind of a sore point but what the heck?

For the price and sound I can live with it.  It can make those 535s howl or play so soft and sweet.

You can fix some of these issues, go here http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/ for suggestions.  In the end you are better off either building your own or buying a different amp.  The reviews I've read on the DRRI, suggests that you change speakers that they are the only weak link in the amp.

are the new ones any good?

Back in the mid 70s I picked a 65 DR up-used it for a good 15 years or so, sold it like a fool-same old story. Anyway, right around the time I sold it, they started coming out with the reissues. I plugged into one and I couldn't tell a difference. I was like a complete clone of the original. Don't know if they are made the same way they sounded in the early 90's no reason to think they don't, but I personally think Fender did a great job on the recreation.

I started to post this today, so ... here's as good a place as any. Just as an FYI, I got the DRRI from GC for the 30 day return policy. I've rarely taken advantage of that, but decided to do it for the amps as my regular Mom 'n Pop just haven't brought in anything recently. This past Saturday I went back to GC and mentioned I wasn't as happy with the DRRI as I thought I'd be. The same salesman suggested I try the Vox AC15 (hmmm). So I took one home and A/B'd the two amps against each other. I liked both, and I didn't like both. The DRRI was much fuller on the bottom end, but the AC15 had more chime and a bit more dial-able growl at the same perceived volume levels.

Here's the kicker: Saturday night I went over to a friends house to jam. Told him my story. He offered me his near new Vox AC15 with a Weber Blue Dog spkr for ... well, substantially less than retail. I took it home. And THIS!! is the sound I'd been hearing in my head. It has the chime of the Vox and the lower end fullness of the DRRI. It can be set right near that break over point and still be clean if you need it, growl when you want it to. Sucker still weighs a half-ton. But this one I took to right off the bat. Guess I should post a thread "H535 into a Vox AC15CC1", think?

Slider,

I don't have access to original Fender anything. ;D  So that answer would be No. Intersting that you have Weber F150s in that amp. I'm just about convinced that speaker changes make the biggest dif. The AC15 I picked up has the Weber Blue Dog in it and it has me sold as a replacement speaker. That is the difference between the stock AC15 I took back and the one I'm keeping. I did do some pre swapping yesterday and I could hear a dif in response, perceived volume and presence. But it still had the feel of that Blue Dog. Thinking about getting one for the AC30 now. When I told the wife that she just ----  :rolleyes:

FYI, I actually have a 12F150 in a custom designed extension cab, but it rarely gets used. Hmmm, maybe that would go well in the Ac30. Not sure as it already has a NeoDog in it.

Slider,

I'm just about convinced that speaker changes make the biggest dif.

Interesting thread...another testimony to subjectivity...chocolate versus vanilla....  Played through a variety of DRRI's in the last couple of years, some terrific and some, to quote Leo Kottke, sounding like "goose farts on a muggy day."  As everybody has allowed recently, tubes, and more significantly, speakers making a huge difference.  Heard a '65 Vibrolux Reverb with 10F150's about a year ago.  Thought that was it!  Ordered a pair, put 'em in.  Doing quieter jazz-blues with the 576 then.  Awesome!  Now in a raucous blues/rock-n-roll five-piece (think "Exile on Main St."), playing a lot of G&L Legacy (Great Guitar!) and Tele.  Webers are just too "tight" and dark.  Put the original CTS's back in...krrrrang...perfect!  Then things get really interesting when I run the Vibrolux through a Marshall 4x10 extension cabinet, in which I'd like to try the Webers.  Context is everything!

Webers are just too "tight" and dark.  Put the original CTS's back in...krrrrang...perfect!  Then things get really interesting when I run the Vibrolux through a Marshall 4x10 extension cabinet, in which I'd like to try the Webers.  Context is everything!

Maybe the Webers aren't broken in all the way? Are the CTS speakers alnico or ceramic? Also, if your running the Vibrolux through a 4X10 bottom, is it wired for 4 ohms?

Maybe the Webers aren't broken in all the way? Are the CTS speakers alnico or ceramic? Also, if your running the Vibrolux through a 4X10 bottom, is it wired for 4 ohms?

My amp guy was going to "break the Webers in" for me, I think he runs something like 200Hz at a pretty high volume for hours, but we never got around to it.  That's a very relevant observation, Slider.  He's done that for others for whom he's done work, and it does make a difference.  I want to say the CTS speakers in that amp are alnico; I'll have to recheck when I get home.  I've only briefly run the Vibrolux through the Marshall, which is, of course, an 8ohm cab, to get an idea of what it'll do.  I'll have to get the rewire done if I want to play it out.  Thanks for the interest, Slider! 

+1 on the Weber Blue Dog. I've got one paired with a Weber Silver Bell in a 2x12 cabinet that I run a silverface Bassman head through. This combination really sounds great.

As said, breaking the speakers in is key. Really opens them up in a big way. To speed the process, I ran a cheesy keyboard accompaniment loop through the speakers at pretty high volume while we were out of the house a couple times. Glad there aren't neighbors too close by, or it would have driven them nuts!

You can fix some of these issues, go here http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/ for suggestions.  In the end you are better off either building your own or buying a different amp.  The reviews I've read on the DRRI, suggests that you change speakers that they are the only weak link in the amp.

Thanks for the link Wingnut.  I should be able to do some of these mods by myself.

Archived