Heritage Owners Club

H535 into a Deluxe Reverb

tulk1

I've got a DRRI here on loan. When I plugged the EJ Strat into it I thought, "Man, that guitar sounds like it was made to go thru that amp." Today I plugged the H535 into the DRRI. And I thought, "WOW!!! Holy Cr*p!!! That guitar absolutely SINGS thru that amp". Want clean? Pick lighter. Want some crunch? Pick a bit harder. Yowzers!! I'm hauling the 535 to rehearsal to see if they'll let me get by using that. It's country and they like the twang. But man 'o man, I like the power!

And for those that don't remember, here's my 535.

535-bod-case-close.jpg

If your in the neighborhood your welcome to borrow my original '65. My 555 sound great plugged into the DR, but you should hear it in my '64 Vibrolux Reverb.speakers038.jpg

I am in your neighborhood. America, right? Send it on over. Thanks!!!  :laugh:

Nice flamage on that 535!

You should see the back of this guitar. Incredible!! It actually looks as if there are peaks and valleys in the figuring. Best I could take in a pic doesn't come close to justice. The boys picked a great piece of wood for this one. Here's the back.

535-back-unenhanced.jpg

If your in the neighborhood your welcome to borrow my original '65. My 555 sound great plugged into the DR, but you should hear it in my '64 Vibrolux Reverb.speakers038.jpg

are the new ones any good?

I like the one I've got here now. Can't compare tho', since "back in the day" I used Twin Reverbs. But the DRRI rates, no doubt. Kinda like a Twin Jr. Would certainly love to really get my hands on one like Slider has.

Wow - what a great looking 535.  +1 on thru a DR.  I play one thru an Allen Accomplish, which is based on the DR circuit.  Just as you describe, the strat sounds great and the 535 is awesome.  I put seth lover's in the 535 and with that it moved to take the place as the go-to guitar for gigs now.  Does everything really well.  Beautiful cleans or it can scream.  Record or live.  Comfortable weight, a beauty to look at.  Somebody give me a Howling Wolf  - AAAoooooHHHH!    :D

are the new ones any good?

The new ones are pretty good but the originals sound a bit different, and better to my ear. Fender has done a good job with the Bassman,Deluxe Reverb,Super Reverb and Twin Reverb reissues. The Vibrolux Reverb however sounds nothing like the originals. The best new amp to come out of Fender,IMHO, is the Tweed Twin.

Tulk, I have a Blue Deluxe reissue.  It is a great sounding amp with my 535s, but it has issues.

The reverb unit's base is, not on fiberboard, but cardboard.  Some day if it becomes an issue I can fix it. 

The on/off light comes and goes. 

The volume tops out between 2&3.  This is kind of a sore point but what the heck?

For the price and sound I can live with it.  It can make those 535s howl or play so soft and sweet.

The new ones are pretty good but the originals sound a bit different, and better to my ear. Fender has done a good job with the Bassman,Deluxe Reverb,Super Reverb and Twin Reverb reissues. The Vibrolux Reverb however sounds nothing like the originals. The best new amp to come out of Fender,IMHO, is the Tweed Twin.

I was at guitar center w/ my 140 the other day and i played it through a new deluxe reverb, and it sounded really good.  there was an old man that wanted to play my 140, so i let him, he kept saying, "you need to buy that amp" ;D

I felt like saying, "you need to lend me $1000!" ;D

Tulk, I have a Blue Deluxe reissue.  It is a great sounding amp with my 535s, but it has issues.

The reverb unit's base is, not on fiberboard, but cardboard.  Some day if it becomes an issue I can fix it. 

The volume tops out between 2&3.  This is kind of a sore point but what the heck?

For the price and sound I can live with it.  It can make those 535s howl or play so soft and sweet.

Bird,

That Blues Deluxe reissue isn't quite the same beast as the DRRI. I played one of those the other day. In fact, I have even taken one home to try, before. One of my issues with that amp is exactly what you were describing - the vol is on at 2/3. Seems there's no "soft side" to that amp. The $$'s, however, were very tempting.

BTW, I asked for 40% off list. I got 39.48% off. Just an FYI for those who might think about getting one from GC.

And just for grins, here's my 157 which sounds Faboo thru the amp, as well.

h157-incase2.jpg

Just wanted to dovetail a bit with Bird.  I almost posted on the "Disappointments" thread regarding a Blues Deluxe.  I had one...for a brief time.  It had a couple of sweet spots, (clean, lower volume), but by and large, I found that amp unacceptable.  I thought the reverb was awful, infact I didn't use it, went through an analog delay instead, and thought the overdrive harsh and brittle.  Someone suggested I replace the AX-7's with AY-7's (is that right, I don't remember tech details well) which reduced the output and, thus, some of the harshness as well.  Got rid of the amp after just a couple of months.  

Some of the jams I attend have RI Deluxes as the house amp.  They've all been once-overed by a friend of mine who is a real whiz with Fender amps (his collection of vintage boxes is amazing), and those amps at the jams are just terrific...one of them, which guys fall all over themselves to get to first, is a howler!  That one loves the 576, but I can't talk Sheila out of it....!

Again, this post is useless without sound clips, boys. Just saying it sounds great is a thing you can hear anywhere....

I'm using a DRRI reissue with a modified Epiphone Emperor Regent (Kent Armstrong pickups) on the demo tracks posted here:

http://www.myspace.com/ingeneri

Sorry, haven't had a chance to record the Super Eagle yet.

I usually use a Jazzkat for gigs these days since it's 20 lbs., but the DRRI has such a great 60's Blue Note tone I can't bring myself to get rid of it.  I did have a problem with the circuit board (that's replaced the point-to-point wiring) a few years ago, but it was an easy fix once I found a reliable amp tech.

Archived