Heritage Owners Club

Would (could?) Heritage make this?

GuitArtMan

1973-gibson-les-paul-signature%20b.jpg

It's the Les Paul Signature model from the late 60's/early '70s I believe. I dig the offset body shape, and having the toggle on the upper bout (where it belongs imho). I think the originals had some special pickups and/or wiring - I'd be happy with standard humbuckers or maybe even P90s.

Never seen that guitar before. Very cool!

I once e-mailed Heritage to inquire about a custom 555. I was curious if they would consider doing the horns similar to this Gretsch design (for increased upper fret access):

Gretsch Country Gentleman

I never heard back from them lol.

I hear that Brent guy can be very persuasive. Maybe he can place the order for you! :D

It's the Les Paul Signature model from the late 60's/early '70s I believe. I dig the offset body shape, and having the toggle on the upper bout (where it belongs imho). I think the originals had some special pickups and/or wiring - I'd be happy with standard humbuckers or maybe even P90s.

Man! One the one hand, I love it.. on the other... I just don't know what to think of it! haha. It is very stylish though. I could see, being dressed to my liking, me being interested.

I found one of these in a shop down in Sheffield, my friend bought it because he has to have everything with Gibson on the headstock. To be honest, I didn't think it was worth buying. I also believe that there would not be enough people in the market place who would buy one, after all, even Gibson with their brand name couldn't sell that many of them. Today you can get lal sorts of les pauls, SG's 335 variants, but this.

My advice, for what it's worth - if you want one, find a Gibson.

Man! One the one hand, I love it.. on the other... I just don't know what to think of it! haha. It is very stylish though. I could see, being dressed to my liking, me being interested.

I know exactly what you mean..I want to like it, but for some reason I don't..(Or don't want to) Ok That makes no sense at all.. :D

I've had my eyes out for a LP Signature model for years (they are hard to find). The last one I saw was at GC's Vintage Center in Hollywood...then it was gone. Still looking though, along with a LP Flourentine, and an L5S model (all are big bucks!).

I've had my eyes out for a LP Signature model for years (they are hard to find). The last one I saw was at GC's Vintage Center in Hollywood...then it was gone. Still looking though, along with a LP Flourentine, and an L5S model (all are big bucks!).

I had a Florentine; beautiful to look at, but mega-bright for a Les Paul. Through the years I've seen a number of Les Paul sig's go on evilBay, both G brand and Epiphone, but I haven't looked lately.

and an L5S model

make sure your back is in shape...I had two L5-S's. On with the TP-6 tailpiece and one with the L-5 style trap tailpiece.

Great necks, great tones but wholly crap they were heavy, like 10 pounds or so.

make sure your back is in shape...I had two L5-S's. On with the TP-6 tailpiece and one with the L-5 style trap tailpiece.

Great necks, great tones but wholly crap they were heavy, like 10 pounds or so.

I like heavy! The problem for me isn't weight. The lowest priced L5S I've seen was somewhere in the neighborhood of $3800.00...too much for me these days. I'd also like to find a much less expensive L6S (with the vari-tone pickup selector)...I've seen several of these for around $700-1000.00, but people bastardize the hell out them (everyone always wants to replace the vari-tone with the 3 position selector and that screws everything up).

You mean everybody doesn't have one on their couch?

I picked this up from a motivated seller at the end of the summer, but, with a trip and then the start of the semester, I haven't had time to do a very thorough assessment of what I've really got, other than that the neck shape feels nice, the cosmetics, at least at first glance, seem good, and the action is high as hell. I do know the electronics (mostly --tone pot doesn't function) work: these, unlike some of the odd Pauls, could be switch from low to high impedence (has two jacks). Has volume, tone, high/low (I think --even though it would make more sense to let the jacks make the switch), and then a variable freq. cut, sort of like a varitone, but fewer clicks.

These were full hollows, and, like 330s, some have problems at the neck joint and have needed neck resets as they age. I'm afraid that mine might be among that number, but that determination will have to wait until I have some time to devote to it. Doesn't show any outward signs of neck joint problems, and I know it was played by a country guy, mostly in first position, so he may have just had the thing set up like an acoustic.

If you guys are dying for one, and would have interest in a fixer-upper, I guess I'd listen...

003-10-1.jpg

That off-center cutaway design always reminded me of some dude with their hat on sideways...or a Texas longhorn with a birth defect.

It also reminds me of the odd looking Ibanez PM120's cutaway, designed by/for Pat Metheny...

(I wouldn't mind dropping a set of Phat Cats in this one!)

276079.jpg

I do like those slightly odd Gibsons, Fenders and such. I remember seeing them in the guitar stores as something new and cool.

I love the look of your LP Signature , 111518. Hopefully the action can be remedied without a reset. The majority of used guitars that I pick up need some set up work immediately.

There are a couple on this UK site: http://www.nicksguitars.com/Gibson_hollow.htm

Overpriced I think, especially for US buyers.

H, USA built guitars cost a fortune over here right now, particularly with the exchange rate. Add in tax and everything else and we end up paying twice the price you pay in America. the Gold signature seems very over priced even for here, but as the website says, it's sold, so someone must have been willing to pay for it.

You mean everybody doesn't have one on their couch?

I picked this up from a motivated seller at the end of the summer, but, with a trip and then the start of the semester, I haven't had time to do a very thorough assessment of what I've really got, other than that the neck shape feels nice, the cosmetics, at least at first glance, seem good, and the action is high as hell. I do know the electronics (mostly --tone pot doesn't function) work: these, unlike some of the odd Pauls, could be switch from low to high impedence (has two jacks). Has volume, tone, high/low (I think --even though it would make more sense to let the jacks make the switch), and then a variable freq. cut, sort of like a varitone, but fewer clicks.

These were full hollows, and, like 330s, some have problems at the neck joint and have needed neck resets as they age. I'm afraid that mine might be among that number, but that determination will have to wait until I have some time to devote to it. Doesn't show any outward signs of neck joint problems, and I know it was played by a country guy, mostly in first position, so he may have just had the thing set up like an acoustic.

If you guys are dying for one, and would have interest in a fixer-upper, I guess I'd listen...

003-10-1.jpg

Hey 111518! Where are you located?

If you were looking to sell, I might have an interest, but it would really depend on what you were looking to get for this animal. I'm actually picking up an H 550 tomorrow from Mark in K'zoo, so, at least, right now, my funds are low. I'm interested though. I'm not a big fan of shipping guitars though. I'm based in the Detroit area.

H, USA built guitars cost a fortune over here right now, particularly with the exchange rate. Add in tax and everything else and we end up paying twice the price you pay in America. the Gold signature seems very over priced even for here, but as the website says, it's sold, so someone must have been willing to pay for it.

True - plus the fact that, despite prices dropping all over the place, some sellers seem to think that anything old-ish with a big name logo on the headstock is worth a fortune. These are mid-70's pieces so they've been round the block as far as exchange rates, taxes, etc, are concerned.

I rarely buy new anymore (the last was a Rick 360 about eight years ago) because of this and the general lack of quality from most manufacturers. I prefer guitars that have been played but looked after.

Archived