Heritage Owners Club

Why you shouldn't drink and go out to the garage...

kbp810

...because accidents can cause amplifiers

Went out to dinner, had a few bell's two hearted... came home, had a few more two hearteds... then headed out to the garage where I got into an argument with a cocky piece of curly maple, so I decided to turn the little SOB into a box

2010-09-25220024.jpg

2010-09-25220054.jpg

(and a Tweed Princeton build has offically begun...)

Okay, so this was actually pre-planned (thanks to Schundog for suggesting it in my birthday thread from last week :thumbsup: ) I already had most of the caps and resistors I needed, and ordered everything else over the past week. Going to try to go with the best of the best component wise this round. Carbon comp resistors, paper in oil caps (except for the big filter caps, those will be sprague atom electrolytics), cloth wiring, and going to do point to point terminal wiring instead of the whole tag/turret board thing.

Parts should start arriving early this week (the chassis is whats really holding up any progress thats non-cabinet related)

Going to do a 12" combo - might even put this old utah to work in it

2010-09-23182538.jpg

2010-09-23182529.jpg

Okay, so this was actually pre-planned (thanks to Schundog for suggesting it in my birthday thread from last week :thumbsup: ) I already had most of the caps and resistors I needed, and ordered everything else over the past week. Going to try to go with the best of the best component wise this round. Carbon comp resistors, paper in oil caps (except for the big filter caps, those will be sprague atom electrolytics), cloth wiring, and going to do point to point terminal wiring instead of the whole tag/turret board thing.

Parts should start arriving early this week (the chassis is whats really holding up any progress thats non-cabinet related)

Going to do a 12" combo - might even put this old utah to work in it

2010-09-23182538.jpg

2010-09-23182529.jpg

Glad I could "intstigate!" Good luck on this baby; I hope to try it out next August! (Or whenever Brent schedules PSP IV!)

Dammit! kbp810! Shundog! Baaaaad influence!

ENABLERS!!!!

I'm blaming YOU!

My soldering irons are getting little love lately. Will have to get them out and mess with my Frank-en-Champ and run a wire from pin 3 to an anode cap so I can stick that Mullard el38 in it...and see what I can do to fully bypass the tone controls. Right now the bass pot is disconnected from ground. Maybe switch around a cathode bypass cap value for the second half of the 12ax7 while I'm at it....after a Chimay blue label. Just thinking about what you posted made me open up a Stella Artois...

Then there's a wierdass cab idea that needs doing for a pair of Jensen Vibrantos I have laying around...

It's no wonder that you drink! My god Man, keeping track of all those pieces would drive anybody to drink!

When completed, if it sounds half as good as the others you have created, you'll have another superior example of how an amp should sound!

Good luck... We're all counting on you.

Good luck... We're all counting on you.

...It's an Entirely Different Kind of Flying, all together... ""It's an Entirely Different Kind of Flying."" (Sorry, that last bit sounded a bit like an airplane reference)

Here are a few teaser shots of where I am at with the cab... the wife helped me find some groovy birdseye for the front (and she did good work!)

Still have a little more cleanup sanding and shaping to do, but it's coming right along - going to finish it with gun stock oil

I don't really plan on doing much else with it until the chassis arrives so I can make sure everything is mapped out properly (don't want any big mistakes like with that cedar cab where the speaker cone was resting nice and snug right next to the PT when it was done :D )

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

If there's anything I appreciate more than flamed maple, it's bird's eye maple! Sweet!

Land them in Lake Michigan! They're a danger to everything in the air! Yes, birds too!!!

Keep us abreast, won't you?

...because accidents can cause amplifiers

Went out to dinner, had a few bell's two hearted... came home, had a few more two hearteds... then headed out to the garage where I got into an argument with a cocky piece of curly maple, so I decided to turn the little SOB into a box

2010-09-25220024.jpg

2010-09-25220054.jpg

Two Hearted Ale! My favorite beer on the planet!

(and a Tweed Princeton build has offically begun...)

I'll try this again....

Two Hearted Ale! My favorite beer on the planet! B)

I Love Two Hearted! ...and Shorts Hume Lupa IPA is a very close second!

Okay, no chassis in the mail today, but decided to head back out to the garage anyways

Got the back pieces cut, shaped, and sanded (the top piece shape was pre-planned, the bottom piece shape I sort of came up with on the fly)

2010-09-27200308.jpg

2010-09-27204502.jpg

I threw a little oil on and the flame on the birdseye started to really come alive

2010-09-27210327.jpg

I just hope I don't develop any drinking problems along the way

airplane2_1561253i.jpg

That man needs to get to a hospital right away!!!

Beauty wood selection!

I Love Two Hearted! ...and Shorts Hume Lupa IPA is a very close second!

Okay, no chassis in the mail today, but decided to head back out to the garage anyways

Got the back pieces cut, shaped, and sanded (the top piece shape was pre-planned, the bottom piece shape I sort of came up with on the fly)

2010-09-27200308.jpg

2010-09-27204502.jpg

I threw a little oil on and the flame on the birdseye started to really come alive

2010-09-27210327.jpg

thats really PURTY!!

Chassis arrived today, just finished getting it drilled out and gave it a quick test fit

I decided to have a recessed look to the controls on top - here's a quick mock up

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

All the little holes on top will be for mounting the terminal strips - just about ready to break out the soldering iron

IMG_1625.jpg

Nice work and good looking cab. As for using that old Utah, you could give it a try but, it has a wizzer cone and from what I've found they don't reproduce guitar highs in a pleasant manner. I've cut them off with an exacto knife with some success.

Nice work and good looking cab. As for using that old Utah, you could give it a try but, it has a wizzer cone and from what I've found they don't reproduce guitar highs in a pleasant manner. I've cut them off with an exacto knife with some success.

Thanks for the tip on the wizzer cone! I'd really like to finally give this speaker a good home so I hope that does the trick.

More Two Hearted and more work done on the cabinet!

2010-10-03134525.jpg

2010-10-03153820.jpg

(It's not actually crooked as it appears in the picture below, it was centered when it came time to fasten it in)

2010-10-03155427.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Looks a lot like it's big brother from the front

IMG_1640.jpg

I would have the amp done by now as well... except I second guessed my choice of PT and OT so they are being sent back

I already ordered another PT with a slightly higher high voltage section, and going with a Mercury Magnetic OT (FTPO-5 ToneClone Fender Tweed Fat Stack)

Why did you decide to go with a PT with higher voltage? Just curious. What b+ voltage range are you seeking and why?

The first one was rated 290-0-290, which probably would have worked... but it also did not have a center tap line and I didn't feel like messing around with it.

I wanted to be above 300, went with a 330 the second round; the higher B+ should ideally add a little more clean headroom, where as the lower may have ran it a little cold and distorted/flubbed out early

Archived