Heritage Owners Club

weird fender knobs?

slawnugget

sooo i had a friend over the other and he asked me about the knobs on my twin. ive never really put much thought to them bein diff from my other silverfaces but after searchin them internets i still cant find these. anyone know about them? stock or aftermarket?

DSC04432.jpg

DSC04431.jpg

Obviously an inferior model. They only go to ten. Get yourself some real knobs that go to 11. It'll make it one more louder! B)

sooo i had a friend over the other and he asked me about the knobs on my twin. ive never really put much thought to them bein diff from my other silverfaces but after searchin them internets i still cant find these. anyone know about them? stock or aftermarket?

DSC04432.jpg

DSC04431.jpg

Seems like I've seen those on a SF princeton before... could be wrong

I think they are cool looking knobs though

Obviously an inferior model. They only go to ten. Get yourself some real knobs that go to 11. It'll make it one more louder!

True, but if you get knobs that only go to 9, I hear it will make it breakup sooner B)

Hi Slawnugget.

As far as I can remember,the knobs on your Twin are off a series of solid state amps produced by Fender in the early 1970's.They were never used on the valve stuff,so someone has changed them ! I've found a couple of examples from the 'Fender Amp Book',and I know I have a catalogue in the vault with the full range of these amps shown.Hope you can make out the knobs on the examples shown below.This range of amps were not really very popular,were unreliable,and were withdrawn within a year.

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1285801017_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1285801036_thumb.jpg

thanks for the info, the story when i got the amp was it had some mods done to it and that it was a house amp at the grand ole opry for pedal steel. as far as stories go who know, but it was modded with a tweeter in it so maybe fender put them on? who knows. i like hearin stories about gear that probably arent true, but still great to hear.

thanks for the info, the story when i got the amp was it had some mods done to it and that it was a house amp at the grand ole opry for pedal steel. as far as stories go who know, but it was modded with a tweeter in it so maybe fender put them on? who knows. i like hearin stories about gear that probably arent true, but still great to hear.

Did a little more research in my 1970 Fender catalogue,showing the full usage of those knobs.There were 5 solid state guitar amps shown.They were also used on the Fender 'Blender' fuzz box,and the 400PS bass amp was Tube. I've included a Fender Taurus combo from the catalogue,and the 'Blender'.The photo's are much clearer than those previously shown. As the solid state amps had such a short run,Fender were probably left with a large stock of those knobs,which I presume,were sold into the marketplace as 'Genuine Fender spares ' !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1285839202_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1285839222_thumb.jpg

Hope this is not overkill,but I became intrigued with those Fender knobs.Further to my other 2 entries,I discovered in the 1976 Fender catalogue,they had been used on their Fender 'Starcaster' guitar,which was supposed to be their answer to Gibson's ES335.So that gives those knobs at least a 6 year lifespan.They were also used on their 160 PS p.a. amplifier,and the Fender Blender was still in production.I've included photo's from Fender's catalogue,plus the cover art for you to draw your own conclusion of the mid 70's mind set !

Peter Alton Green

post-1702-1286035925_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1286035944_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1286035967_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1286035988_thumb.jpg

Archived