Heritage Owners Club

Monitor level on 1964 Gibson Falcon amp

LK155

Have been enjoying the Falcon amp I got from Kuz last summer, and have a technical question....

Falconschematic.jpg

This amp has 2 input jacks and a Monitor jack. With the guitar plugged into Input#1, I can run a cable from Input#2 to another amp. I'm actually running this to the input of my Digitech GNX4 so that I can record that vintage tube goodness. This setup works well and I have no problem with the signal level going to the GNX4 at all, but that method bypasses the Falcon's reverb and tremolo, so what hits the GNX4 is essentially clean.

And, yes, the Falcon's volume control does determine the signal level.

It is possible to have the Falcon's reverb and tremolo in the signal by going from its Monitor jack to the GNX4 input.

But this setup doesn't pass enough signal to the GNX4. I have to run the Falcon's volume control almost at max to get any kind of usable signal, and that means it's blasting full out and blowing the walls down.

The Monitor jack is shown in the top right corner of the schematic. It seems to differ from the output going to the speaker only by two resistors.

So the question is: can I do something in this area to boost the output level going to the Monitor jack?

Hope this is clear.

Any mods I do need to be reversible, and I don't want to get into any serious circuit changes.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Lyle

I believe the monitor out has a low output signal, like a line out, and is more dependant on the unit it is being plugged into like a PA monitor amp to boost it. Try the monitor out into another guitar amp boosting the signal with the receiving amps volume control.

Thanks, Slider, but I don't have another guitar amp to play with.

Besides, the goal was to get a usable signal into the GNX4 for recording.

Might there be some way I can safely divert the signal going to the Falcon's speaker to get into the GNX4?

You could try a DI Box. That should bring the signal up to Line Level. Use the XLR Mic input on the GNX. I'd imagine it wouldn't have to be the most expensive DI box going, either. Just something to get the Monitor output up to Line Level. I'd also suggest buying it from GC (if you have one near), in case that doesn't work. 30 day returns can be a good thing.

Really dumb question, but what's the 'DI' stand for?

Digital Interface? (that means you operate it with your fingers, right?)

Dumb-ass Irene?

Dreaded Insolvency?

Deadly Ignoramus?

Dickweed Ira?

Drooling Intransient?

Disturbing Iguana?

No GC's in Canada. We do have a bunch of Long & McQuade stores, though, which are the same idea.

I wouldn't mess with the output transformer circuit. Just get something like an an MXR micro boost pedal to provide a amplification in the signal at the monitor output. I just mentioned the MXR because that was the first simple amp that came up when I googled MXR buffer, which is what you are looking for.

Well, now I feel really stupid.

The answer was right in front of me all along.

The GNX4 lets you control the level of the guitar input, of course. And that's where the output from the Falcon's Monitor is going. But even at max, that input level wasn't high enough for the GNX4's recorder.

So I eventually realized the problem wasn't necessarily the input level being too low, it was the recording level being too low. Duh.

And after about a ten-minute search through the manual, I found the two tiny sentences explaining how to override the unit's default record level.

Problem solved. Changed the default record level from +10db to +20db and it works great.

Thanks to those who replied. Sorry to waste your time.

Lyle

• 2 weeks later...

Archived