Heritage Owners Club

Heritage vs. Gibson...Any Objective Comparisons?

Gitfiddler

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Patrick my pride may have over stepped my thought process. The worst fate for a guitar is to be stuffed under a bed or in a closet. Orville Gibson himself would approve of our team efforts and in my heart I know he would approve of what and who we are today~~~~Heritage a legacy.

Patrick,

While you do put your money where your mouth is in support of Heritage, this is clearly a message aimed at you from Katie.

You are buying too many Heritage guitars for any one person to play! How many are under your beds or in the closets?

Based on what I have come to know about Heritage, I prefer the Heritage versions of the comparable guitars ie; H-535 over 335, 150 over a Les Paul. I can't speak to the Jazz boxes. I have a few Gibby's and am happy that I do. But I'm not craving another one like I am for a 150 Heritage.

Also, you sell many of the employees short at Gibson if you think that just because they are performing a small part of an overall process that they don't take pride in what they do and how it will affect the final result. Equal arguments could be made for the pros and cons of both large assembly line processes and smaller boutique type processes. Just take a look at Katie in the Heritage plant. All she is responsible for doing is the final fine sanding and glue removal. She's just one piece of a fine tuned assembly line or assembly stage and process . . . albeit a much smaller and less complicated one than Gibson's♠. However, she knows that her involvement, performance and execution is crucial to the out come and the end result.

WOW I am the one who feels like they were cut short here. I should not respond to these posts because I know that you gentlemen only see a small part of a work day for any of us. Yes, a lot of the time I only have guitars to sand and leave early for the day. A great benefit I must add. I am capable of many other tasks. When we still had a lot of work (pre-recession days) I would finish my job and continue over to rim-lining. I may also glue veneers together for double cut aways or help Marv with cutting necks. Jim has allowed me to do everything that the body builder Chris is responsible for. I may have about 30 pick guards to bind and clean. Who knows I may even be up front answering the phones and harnessing controls on slow days. I may even help Bill pack up some instruments to ship out. I'm in no way trying to pat myself on the back here only trying to express at Heritage we as employees have a strong repore with one another and help in all areas. Yes, we all have job titles but, there is not a day that goes by that one of us is not in someone else station doing their work or asking for opinions. None of us see this as a problem we like being a team it shows in our final product from my stand point. Of course we will always have problems with certain things here and there in our product 'hence' the hand build status, all we can do is continue to strive for perfection and fix the problems as they arise. My intentions here were not to offend anyone in this forum. I truly appreciate all of you Heritage players, like I always state without you folks we wouldn't exist. I just felt very belittled.

The Girl

There was a guy ( I believe his name is Dave Anthony) who played flat top and sang harmony for George Strait. Back in the 80's a friend's country band was playing in a local club. Mr. Anthony was in the crowd and asked if he could sit in. He wailed away on a telecaster most of the night, to the pleasure of everyone there. The guy could hang with Brent Mason or any of the Nashville wiz-kids. He also wrote a couple of hit songs for Mr. Strait. When he was on stage with The Ace In The Hole Band, his task was to bang on that flat top and sing harmony. Bob Benedetto and Jimmy D'Aquisto didn't wake up with Master Luthier stamped on their forehead one morning. They had to do ALL of the individual processes required to make exceptional instruments, many, many times.

I;ve "built" a couple of Stratocasters. I didn't carve the neck or the body. It took me a long time. It was difficult. I did a lot of sanding to make things fit, because the necks were not stock "Fender Issue". I doubt if any single process involved in making an instrument of the quality that Heritage Instruments possess is nearly as easy as just sanding, or whatever. What pleases me the most about the whole deal here is that there are American Craftsmen and Women who are doing what they do better than anyone in any other country and surviving in a cookie cutter marketplace. I don't care if I ever see another Paul Reed Smith or Gibson Movie Star endorsed instrument. The "Popsicle" and "Tomato" guitars are not only beautiful, but would appear to have whatever "stuff" that special individual instruments possess. Please, keep up the good sanding.

Also, you sell many of the employees short at Gibson if you think that just because they are performing a small part of an overall process that they don't take pride in what they do and how it will affect the final result. Equal arguments could be made for the pros and cons of both large assembly line processes and smaller boutique type processes. Just take a look at Katie in the Heritage plant. All she is responsible for doing is the final fine sanding and glue removal. She's just one piece of a fine tuned assembly line or assembly stage and process . . . albeit a much smaller and less complicated one than Gibson's♠. However, she knows that her involvement, performance and execution is crucial to the out come and the end result.

WOW I am the one who feels like they were cut short here. I should not respond to these posts because I know that you gentlemen only see a small part of a work day for any of us. Yes, a lot of the time I only have guitars to sand and leave early for the day. A great benefit I must add. I am capable of many other tasks. When we still had a lot of work (pre-recession days) I would finish my job and continue over to rim-lining. I may also glue veneers together for double cut aways or help Marv with cutting necks. Jim has allowed me to do everything that the body builder Chris is responsible for. I may have about 30 pick guards to bind and clean. Who knows I may even be up front answering the phones and harnessing controls on slow days. I may even help Bill pack up some instruments to ship out. I'm in no way trying to pat myself on the back here only trying to express at Heritage we as employees have a strong repore with one another and help in all areas. Yes, we all have job titles but, there is not a day that goes by that one of us is not in someone else station doing their work or asking for opinions. None of us see this as a problem we like being a team it shows in our final product from my stand point. Of course we will always have problems with certain things here and there in our product 'hence' the hand build status, all we can do is continue to strive for perfection and fix the problems as they arise. My intentions here were not to offend anyone in this forum. I truly appreciate all of you Heritage players, like I always state without you folks we wouldn't exist. I just felt very belittled.

The Girl

There was a guy ( I believe his name is Dave Anthony) who played flat top and sang harmony for George Strait. Back in the 80's a friend's country band was playing in a local club. Mr. Anthony was in the crowd and asked if he could sit in. He wailed away on a telecaster most of the night, to the pleasure of everyone there. The guy could hang with Brent Mason or any of the Nashville wiz-kids. He also wrote a couple of hit songs for Mr. Strait. When he was on stage with The Ace In The Hole Band, his task was to bang on that flat top and sing harmony. Bob Benedetto and Jimmy D'Aquisto didn't wake up with Master Luthier stamped on their forehead one morning. They had to do ALL of the individual processes required to make exceptional instruments, many, many times.

I;ve "built" a couple of Stratocasters. I didn't carve the neck or the body. It took me a long time. It was difficult. I did a lot of sanding to make things fit, because the necks were not stock "Fender Issue". I doubt if any single process involved in making an instrument of the quality that Heritage Instruments possess is nearly as easy as just sanding, or whatever. What pleases me the most about the whole deal here is that there are American Craftsmen and Women who are doing what they do better than anyone in any other country and surviving in a cookie cutter marketplace. I don't care if I ever see another Paul Reed Smith or Gibson Movie Star endorsed instrument. The "Popsicle" and "Tomato" guitars are not only beautiful, but would appear to have whatever "stuff" that special individual instruments possess. Please, keep up the good sanding.

Archived