Heritage Owners Club

Fuchs Amps?

brentrocks

I was offered a Fuchs 50 W tube head in a partial trade....but i know nothing about them?

anybody have an experience with them? junk or jem? factory or boutique?

thanks

Perhaps someone who owns one can chime in as well... but I have spent some quality time with a Lucky 7 and an ODS 30 and both were fantastic amps (price seemed a tad high for my pocketbook at the time, otherwise either could have easily followed me home)

Not familiar with the 50w, but they seem to be very high quality boutique stuff

I was offered a Fuchs 50 W tube head in a partial trade....but i know nothing about them?

anybody have an experience with them? junk or jem? factory or boutique?

thanks

Brent: I know Andy Fuchs personally. His shop/factory is in Clifton, NJ. He did repair work on my Evans amp as well as black faced my dead mint 1970 Fender Pro Reverb. Both jobs were performed flawlessly. His shop is much like Heritage. You can literally walk up to any of his technician's work benches, including his own and watch them work. Much like Marv Lamm, he also has his own work bench and works right along side them. He has built or repaired amps and effects pedals for many of the leading recording and performing artists today. He has all of his amps and effects pedals set up on a sound stage type of a setting in his facility. When you visit his place, you never know from day to day which top level professional artists you will see there jamming on his sound stage and trying out his latest stuff. Just call Jay wolfe and ask his opinion on Andy. Better yet, call him personally . . 973-772-4420 . . ask for Andy. Ask him about the amp you're considering. His stuff is all primo quality and very highly regarded. Much like Heritage, you could chat with Andy, tell him the type of stuff you play and the sound you're after and he will custom build an amp for you. Google Fuch Audio. You'll learn all about him

Fuchs is one of the most respected names in the boutique amp world. He's mostly known for his Overdrive Supreme models which are designed to sound like the famed Dumble Overdrive Special. The Overdrive Supremes are pricey amps, though as much boutique stuff the resale value takes a hit. I would look on eBay and/or TGP yo get a feel for used values.

I had Fuchs do the ODS Supreme mod to my Musicman 1-12RD; I had a great sentimental attachment to the amp, but didn't see myself using it much in its stock configuration with the solid-state pre-amp. The result of the mod is a pretty phenomenal amp. (I've read that modifying Musicmans by adding all-tube preamp sections was one of the ways he first made his name.) The result is a 6L6/EV amp with big brassy cleans and that foot-switchable Dumble multiple gain stage "bloom" to scream. (I've never played a Dumble, but the sound I associate with them is that bloom that Santana, Ford, etc. get --a note builds til it reaches that point where it sustains/feedbacks infinitely. This amp does that, and with control of overall level.) I haven't found many opportunities to play the amp; it's not the most appropriate sound for the old R and B and RR stuff that I actually play out, but, one day I'm gonna fall into a certain type of gig and this amp is going to be the ticket. (I'm reminded of the Gear Page satire animation about the guy who wanted to mortgage his house to buy a Dumble to play "Mustang Sally;" well, we play "Mustang Sally," and it, and most of the stuff we play at the levels that we play it, sounds better to my ears through a 6v6 amp.)

Working with Fuchs was a pleasure ... quick responses to email, he didn't really want to do an effects loop on the amp but agreed to do it(we were sort of in cover-band mode at the time I ordered the amp, and I was use to using my Rivera which had a loop.) Just all around a good experience.

Like most of the best premium builders, he has a sound he is after. I'd try to find a way to listen to his amps before I bought --it may or may not be your sound. He's not trying to make a Marshall or a Fender or a Vox, though, like Dumble, his starting point is Fender-esque, I think, but then he builds in the OD stages. I think some of his newer designs have a third "crunch" setting, which would make the amps more suited to heavier styles.(Forgive the spots on this photo; I'd been sanding sheetrock that day)

008-1-1.jpg

xlnt fellow, Andy. had several of his mods, quite a few tele-chats & e-mail exchanges, met him & wife @ NAMM '03. he designs PCBs, employs those. his mods are pretty much gutting existing amp, then reusing transformers, tube sockets, chassis. i had four mods (Traynor YB-1, '79 Bassman 70, Rivera-era Concert 1x12, Blues Deville) and played a new 100w ODS. great stuff. see dumble.com for ODS description. going to an ampfest today & will get a chance to play my old 30w (Blues Deville). would love to have a Train 45.

his mods used to be $600-700 and ODS's in the $2000+ range, but those have all gone up in the past 5 yrs

anyway...

B)

I've head many wonderful adjectives used in conjunction with these amps. I think you should buy it. Then, given the off chance that you still have it at PSP IV, I could point to it and ask: "What the Fuchs that?"

I've head many wonderful adjectives used in conjunction with these amps. I think you should buy it. Then, given the off chance that you still have it at PSP IV, I could point to it and ask: "What the Fuchs that?"

well the deal fell through...i was gonna trade this fella a EBMM EVH for the Fuchs head and a H 150 VSB with a killer top

oh well

well the deal fell through...i was gonna trade this fella a EBMM EVH for the Fuchs head and a H 150 VSB with a killer top

oh well

Honestly, I think that would be giving up too much are your part. The desired Fuchs amps (as others have said) are the ODS models.

steiner, yer a treasure!

oh well

it's a neat amp, but IMHO the 150 alone is worth more. anyway, here's Eddie Berman demo'ing one. i always liked Eddie's demos

Andy lists the amp (head only) @ $989 new

Archived