Heritage Owners Club

Calling KBP810

H

Hi,

I posted a long while back about building a 5E3 clone using a kit from a company like Weber. I've been thinking long and hard about it and have now decided to do the thing from scratch.

There are some things I need to buy pre-built, such as the chassis, but as far as possible I'd just like to source parts as and when I can and build the amp over a long period of time.

I have plans to build the cab so I think I'm OK with that.

I have the Fender 57 schematic (which I don't understand) and other diagrams showing the layout of the components required and how they're wired together (which I do mostly understand).

Is there a good resource, book, website, etc, which would help me with this build plus give me a parts checklist so I don't miss anything or do something stupid?

Is there a good reason to choose eyelet boards/turrets/other options for this build?

Hi,

I posted a long while back about building a 5E3 clone using a kit from a company like Weber. I've been thinking long and hard about it and have now decided to do the thing from scratch.

There are some things I need to buy pre-built, such as the chassis, but as far as possible I'd just like to source parts as and when I can and build the amp over a long period of time.

I have the Fender 57 schematic (which I don't understand) and other diagrams showing the layout of the components required and how they're wired together (which I do mostly understand).

Is there a good resource, book, website, etc, which would help me with this build plus give me a parts checklist so I don't miss anything or do something stupid?

Is there a good reason to choose eyelet boards/turrets/other options for this build?

This may or may not help with the reference material and parts.

Excellent! It's a lot of fun, and very rewarding when you get to plug her in and play for that first time!

I think Mars_hall posted a plethora of great resources - Here's a link to a Weber Layout (which you probably already have seen) 5E3 Layout - this should help with forming a parts list.

The biggest piece of advise I can give whether it's schematic or layout (I recommend having both on hand) is to keep a highlighter handy and trace the lines and parts as you connect them. It helps to keep you on track and make sure you don't accidentaly skip over something.

As far as general knowledge resources, there are a lot of great sites and books out there - but I got started with the P1 Theroy document at ax84.com; from there I read the books by Merlin Blencowe (as well as others). Oh! and also wanted to point out Paul Ruby's site, that has lots of great information, most notable of which is a great guide on how to start up an amp for the first time. Paul Ruby

You really don't have too much to worry about support wise - the 5E3 has been covered again, and again, and again in numerous forums - just about any questions or problems you run into can likely be answered via a quick google search.

In regards to the wiring method... if you are going to buy a pre-cut chassis, it will likely have holes already for mounting a turret or eyelet board (I prefer turrets over eyelets personally) so that may be the best route to take. I personally like using terminal strips/points/lugs... but of course that also means drilling a bunch of little holes in the chassis for mounting them all - something you might not want to do with a pre-cut chassis.

Hi,

I like MOJO. They sell all or any pieces you need to complete a '57 tweed. Try this link

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-tweed

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-small-parts

I like MOJO. They sell all or any pieces you need to complete a '57 tweed. Try this link

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-tweed

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-small-parts

Thanks for the links, there are a couple of UK reseller of these kits that I'm aware of. I'm in two minds about buying a complete kit (less the cab and speaker) or buying bits over a longer period.

Archived