Heritage Owners Club

How can i get more sustain

aarsvold

Thank you again for all your advices. I will try your theories out later today.

I have two main theories:

a: I am having a high (or low) fret.

or b: I am having issues with resonanse from the neck

Therefore a have some questions to you which can be helpful for me to be answered as I go on searching for the source of this sustain-loss.

1. How will you describe the characteristics of a high-fret sustain loss?

Keywords could be attack, overtones, vibration of the string etc.

I dont have the typical buzz, but I suspect high fret anyway.

2. How will you describe the same for a tone which is having resonanse issues with the neck?

If I was to describe the sound I get it goes like this: (from the 12th fret and up especially)

I have a pretty damped attack. Not crispy like other strings and tones

The main tone fades away pretty quick only to be overtaken by the overtones that lasts a little longer.

I look at the vibrations of the string and while normal strings swells a little before they decay, this bad note doesnt swell but pretty soon vibrates less.

Well, these 2 questions might be a little to complex to answer in written words here, but at least I must try in case any of you get any thoughts from what I am writing here.

....and the search continues.....

good lord, just take it to a good guitar tech and have them look at it!!

where are you located?

you are trying to troubleshoot something that needs the guitar in hand....using esoteric terms, on a forum

*edit* also everyone has completely different playing preferences & styles...one person will buzz & fret out and someone else could be smooth as silk, on the same guitar. which is why it is good to learn to do your own setups

good lord, just take it to a good guitar tech and have them look at it.

you are trying to troubleshoot something that needs the guitar in hand....using esoteric terms, on a forum

I know. :smile_mini2:

The guitar-tech has closed until next year so I am trying to figure out things myself here. And also I am learning very much here just by reading all your advices, googling, talking to people etc so its quite interesting for me to hear your suggestions. And yes, its quite hard for me to explain everything in written word especially since I am not English, but i feel I must give it a try.

Ive learned a lot from everything Ive read in this thread, also from you, so I am afraid I wont give up yet. I feel I am closing in. :smile_mini2:

Plug into your soundcard and use G-Tune 2.50 to see what exactly is happening to the note using its scope function. It will show ringing (small ripples on the fundamental) if the string is hitting something metallic such as a fret or burr on the slot.

Pluck with the rounded edge of a thick pick

It could well be the nut. I always have graphtec nuts put on Bigsby-equipped guitars. Usually had problems converting to Bigsby before (tuning stability, sometimes sustain), now never do. Bigger strings would very likely help too, as long as the nut is properly cut for whatever gauge you're using.

MD

I had one of Norway´s most respected guitar-techs have a look at the guitar today. Although he wasnt able to do work on it before after newyear he did some measurements and other kinds of testing.

He couldnt say clearly why the guitar acts like it does but he pointed out a few things.

First of all he adviced me to loosen the neck a little bit and remove the felt-pieces which is between the bigsby and the body. Both of these things I did, and I got some improvement.

Further he measured the frets and we agreed that after newyear he will do a thorough fret-job on the guitar. (using a big tool he bought from Dan Erlewine which somebody mentioned earlier in this thread)

The frets wasnt really bad, but some of them were a bit high and could be the cause of the problems mentioned in this thread.

I also discovered today that the bigsby is mounted so that there is a hair-thin open space between the bigsby and the body on one of the sides. I will have to do something about that to.

The guitar-tech will also do the nut for met.

He will also adjust the radius since the original bridge have a radius of 16 and the neck 12.

So thats what have happened now. I have come closer to the solution today so I guess I can relax i little now.

And oh, one more thing. I tried the guitar with a .022 wound g-string today and suddenly the sustain came back. Its too stiff for me to be a final solution but I goes until all the other stuff is done.

It's all in the hands....you should be able to hold a note with vibrato for FAAAAR longer than you'd ever wanna play a single note.

Amen Brother. I have Bigsby's on two of my guitars. Never a want for more sustain.

I had one of Norway´s most respected guitar-techs have a look at the guitar today. Although he wasnt able to do work on it before after newyear he did some measurements and other kinds of testing.

He couldnt say clearly why the guitar acts like it does but he pointed out a few things.

First of all he adviced me to loosen the neck a little bit and remove the felt-pieces which is between the bigsby and the body. Both of these things I did, and I got some improvement.

Further he measured the frets and we agreed that after newyear he will do a thorough fret-job on the guitar. (using a big tool he bought from Dan Erlewine which somebody mentioned earlier in this thread)

The frets wasnt really bad, but some of them were a bit high and could be the cause of the problems mentioned in this thread.

I also discovered today that the bigsby is mounted so that there is a hair-thin open space between the bigsby and the body on one of the sides. I will have to do something about that to.

He will also adjust the radius since the original bridge have a radius of 16 and the neck 12.

So thats what have happened now. I have come closer to the solution today so I guess I can relax i little now.

And oh, one more thing. I tried the guitar with a .022 wound g-string today and suddenly the sustain came back. Its too stiff for me to be a final solution but I goes until all the other stuff is done.

I think that he is the best solution to your problems. Besides being a good guitar-tech he also was the first Norwegian

Heritage importer. That means: he knows Heritage guitars. Recomended.

To be fair and balanced...

The Bigsby website states that sustain is enhanced with a Bigsby. Along the same lines, you can track Santa live on www.noradsanta.org.

Sounds like a Fox News fan.

Guest HRB853370

Hi. As some of you might know I put on a Bigsny on my H150 a few days ago. As expected i got some reduction in sustain. Although the sustain still is acceptable this has led me to explore what can be done do to get more sustain.

I guess some of you will advice me to take off theBigsby but thats not an option.

So teach me and all the others who are wondering about the same. What are the things you are doing to set up the guitar for max sustain?

All advices appreciated, big or small.

bigsby_DSC_3101.JPG

I have learned that the more beer I drink, the longer my guitar sustains (all of them)

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I've had problems with "g" strings before as well, but when I use the big tool everything usually turns out fine.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I've had problems with "g" strings before as well, but when I use the big tool everything usually turns out fine.

G strings may often get lost in the crack.

Archived