Heritage Owners Club

fret buzz question

MartyGrass

This is about a newer H150 with a TonePros TOM. The action is very low with buzzing on the second fret of D. Open D is fine. The rest is okay.

I don't mind filing a nut or bridge saddles, neither of which would help anyway. But I haven't ventured into fret filing yet. The fret looks okay grossly.

Any advice on lifting the bridge saddle on the D string?

I could crank the whole bridge up but would rather make that plan B or C.

Here's something to look at while you collect your thoughts.

Thanks.

sexy-alf.jpg

I added some neck relief, which raised the action but worked.

I popped the tip of a toothpick under the D string bridge saddle. That decreased the buzz but not enough.

I raised the bridge, which worked, but also raised the action.

I got out my Dremel--- kidding.

I'm not brave enough to tap or file the frets without Pete. He'll show me. See one, do one, teach one principle I guess.

This is about a newer H150 with a TonePros TOM. The action is very low with buzzing on the second fret of D. Open D is fine. The rest is okay.

I don't mind filing a nut or bridge saddles, neither of which would help anyway. But I haven't ventured into fret filing yet. The fret looks okay grossly.

Any advice on lifting the bridge saddle on the D string?

I could crank the whole bridge up but would rather make that plan B or C.

Here's something to look at while you collect your thoughts.

Thanks.

sexy-alf.jpg

that picture is disturbing on many levels..

Ha..!

Since the action is low and fine everywhere else, I'd doubt that the truss rod needs adjusting. And the nut is fine.

You may have a loose or unseated fret.

I have a similar problem with my 535 except it's up on the 16th fret..I'm getting the upper frets leveled and re-crowned, and I'll (hopefully) be rocking in no time!!

that picture is disturbing on many levels..

It must have been an episode where Alf was dreaming what he would look like after ordering the Charles Atlas program off of the ad in Boys Life magazine.

Mark, does it buzz plugged in and thru an amp? Lots of times you can get buzz playing acoustically that you won't hear electronically.

This buzz is amplified. Sounds like a sitar. It's okay will low action. But this fret prevents me from dropping it to very low action. I'm sure it's within specs.

This buzz is amplified. Sounds like a sitar. It's okay will low action. But this fret prevents me from dropping it to very low action. I'm sure it's within specs.

One thing to try, short of a luthier, is a set of strings with a little more tension, specifically on the D string. Most manufacturers have charts on their sites, and there can be significant differences in tension even with the same gauges, depending on size of core and composition of the steel.

Different strongs of course wouldn't fix the physical cause of the problem --it is unusual to have a powerful buzz only at one place. Any chance the guitar got banged such that the second fret on the D is dented or flattened, rather than the next fret lifted? I could see a flattened spot on a single fret causing this situation, more than a lifting fret, which, in the middle of the fingerboard, is usually going to impact more than one string. (I have a guitar with a nicked fret. It usually doesn't matter, but if I bend a string on that particular fret I get a weird ping. To fix it correctly would require pulling the fret, and ... it's easier to try not to bend that particular note.)

Another thought would be to put your ear close to the strings and see if you can hear its source. I would listen close at the roller of the bridge as well.

In other words, we sometimes confuse cause with effect and call something fret buzz because it occurs when we press a particular fret and is absent when others are fretted. Pluck the string from different angles and places up the neck to localize the source.

Archived