Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Shop Status Update 9-11-07

jaywolfe

Hi Guys- Just off the line with Lane Zastrow & he says a decision has been reached in Kalamazoo. Seems the same players will remain in place & they are back in the shop & expect to be "creating sawdust" soon. I anticipate a call from the Kalamazoojians any minute now with more details. Stay tuned. As I get it, I'll post it here. Looks good for the guys on Parsons St to remain in place.

Jay Wolfe (nervous & excited- too much coffee?)

Maybe we can visit when we are up that way this fall.  I would love to shake some of the most gifted hands in the US. 

"A new day, a new way, I knew I should see it along..."

Great news for Heritage lovers.  I got this picture in late March.  I was the first person to see the chick.  Let us hope this is symbolic of a positive new day for Heritage guitars and those of us who love them.

width=600 height=399http://www.ronwarren.com/ducks07a/iz1o2067_std.jpg[/img]

I also spoke to Lane Zastrow middle of last week on an accessories matter and he told me pretty much the same as Jay has said.

Told me the original guys will stay on for at least a couple of years and then maybe longer in the capacity of consultants.

Sounded the right structure for longevity too me.

Thanks Jay-

I spoke to you a couple of times over the past week and I want to thank you for your input and recomendations regarding my 535 that needs a new neck. Hopefully, my situation with Heritage will improve. As far as I'm concerned, Heritage is one of the last great American companies that values quality and customer service. I hope they stay that way.

I bought my Heritage because of the story behind them, and after having played one.  It is, without a doubt, a great guitar - but needed a little work to get that way.

I hope good things happen for them.  I live in Michigan, and am really, really rooting for the home team here.

That being said, I think the transition is necessary.  I've taken the tour twice and have a manufacturing and engineering background.  It is impossible for someone like me to take the tour and not note how the operation is functioning.

Some points of honesty:

Quality has at some points suffered.  The Plek is a wonderful addition, and was a step in the right direction.  From a quality and throughput standpoint, the resistance to CNC machinery doesn't make sense.  I can see it making sense if the volume of guitars built remains low, or if the money simply isn't there to invest, but the fact is that CNC machinery is dead-on repeatable - and will consistently result in a better quality instrument than "handmade".  The term "handmade" is so often misused, btw... do jigs and fixtures count as handmade?

Also, an understanding needs to exist as to where CNC machining could reasonably be applied.  For the most part, it would be in the area of routing.  For instance, routing a neck pocket and the matching area of the neck.  It would not be used to bend wood for a hollowbody, as jigs and fixtures are better suited to that operation.

Where Heritage can really set the world on fire is the combination of all those years of guitar building experience, coupled with the modern technology in machining, building a guitar that nobody else can match. 

"Machinery is merely a tool by which the vision of a creator can be realized.  Without that vision, the machine can make nothing of value."

I bought my Heritage because of the story behind them, and after having played one.  It is, without a doubt, a great guitar - but needed a little work to get that way.

I hope good things happen for them.  I live in Michigan, and am really, really rooting for the home team here.

That being said, I think the transition is necessary.  I've taken the tour twice and have a manufacturing and engineering background.  It is impossible for someone like me to take the tour and not note how the operation is functioning.

Some points of honesty:

Quality has at some points suffered.  The Plek is a wonderful addition, and was a step in the right direction.  From a quality and throughput standpoint, the resistance to CNC machinery doesn't make sense.  I can see it making sense if the volume of guitars built remains low, or if the money simply isn't there to invest, but the fact is that CNC machinery is dead-on repeatable - and will consistently result in a better quality instrument than "handmade".  The term "handmade" is so often misused, btw... do jigs and fixtures count as handmade?

Also, an understanding needs to exist as to where CNC machining could reasonably be applied.  For the most part, it would be in the area of routing.  For instance, routing a neck pocket and the matching area of the neck.  It would not be used to bend wood for a hollowbody, as jigs and fixtures are better suited to that operation.

Where Heritage can really set the world on fire is the combination of all those years of guitar building experience, coupled with the modern technology in machining, building a guitar that nobody else can match. 

"Machinery is merely a tool by which the vision of a creator can be realized.  Without that vision, the machine can make nothing of value."

My post on "room for improvement" - and I haven't taken the factory tour...

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...topic,50.0.html

My post on "room for improvement" - and I haven't taken the factory tour...

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...topic,50.0.html

I think you and I agree on most of it.

Although I don't mind the headstock at all.

PRS built it's reputation by building the most repeatable guitars there are (as you noted, they feel identical from neck to neck), using the highest quality materials they could get their hands on, having stunning finish work, and setting the instruments up impeccably - all supervised by someone who lived and breathed guitars.

The magic in the formula above is the "supervised by someone who lived and breathed guitars", because the rest of the stuff can all be trained/programmed/bought.

The "not really a binding" for binding was a stroke of genius.  Talk about eliminating a quality issue before it happens...

Fret wire was another interesting point.  I'd take it one step further and encourage the use of stainless steel frets for hardness and longevity.

It is impossible for someone like me to take the tour and not note how the operation is functioning.

Very interesting. It's an "old school" operation. That which might explain the large back order situation. The good thing is that the owners truly love the guitar and believe in their company.

Quality has at some points suffered.  The Plek is a wonderful addition, and was a step in the right direction.  From a quality and throughput standpoint, the resistance to CNC machinery doesn't make sense.
I'm in total agreement with that. If Heritage can design a great guitar, why build it from scratch every time when the CNC machine can take the guesswork and drudgery out of a lot of it? The Plek was a great purchase for Heritage and an example of forward thinking. But, from what I've heard, they were sort of forced into it by disatisfied dealers who were sending guitars back to Heritage for neck problems. My main 575 action was so bad that i had it Pleked within a month of purchase at my own expense.

Amen, brother!

One more thing. I LOVE the headstock on Heritage guitars. Please don't change it. It's reminiscent of the famous Gibson snake-head style of the early L5s and mandolins. It's also like the ukulele headstock shape that Martin has been using forever. People that are complaining about it don't realize that it offers straight string pull in a manner superior to Gibson and Fender.

One more thing. I LOVE the headstock on Heritage guitars. Please don't change it. It's reminiscent of the famous Gibson snake-head style of the early L5s and mandolins. It's also like the ukulele headstock shape that Martin has been using forever. People that are complaining about it don't realize that it offers straight string pull in a manner superior to Gibson and Fender.

Believe it or not, I second that. I love the way the headstock is designed, and wouldn't want it any other way.

rooster.

I think the headstock design is great. Gives the guitars a sleek apearance and seperates them from other brands which are a variation on the open book stock. The one on mine is a bit plain but, the custom style stocks look fantastic. Not too flashy just...classy.

I like the headstock. i think the G+L headstock is much uglier.

Archived