Heritage Owners Club

Where are HRW Pups made... Schaller ?

cosmikdebriis

I believe there has been some debate on this in the middle of various threads but I've searched and can't find a definitive answer.

So... Having just pulled one out of my 150 (as I'm experimenting on a coil tap)... What I can say is... The wiring is the same colour code as Schaller use... Hmmm... :P

I'm going to pull a Schaller tommorrow and take some pics to compare...

Anybody know any more?

I thought I'd read where they were Schallers that Ren adapts to Heritage specs. Don't quote me. :)

That was my take on them, as well. Seem to recall from my first days on the forum that this was the topic de jour.

[quote author=cosmikdebriis

Makes you wonder what's underneath the gold sticker ;) ;D

Pure tonal mojo is under that sticker!!  ;)

Pickup rewinds are not uncommon.  As long as you start out with a well constructed pickup and good magnets, improving humbuckers like the Schallers should not be too difficult.

I just wish they were available as an aftermarket product. 

Pure tonal mojo is under that sticker!!  ;)

Pickup rewinds are not uncommon.  As long as you start out with a well constructed pickup and good magnets, improving humbuckers like the Schallers should not be too difficult.

I wasn't trying to pass judgment on the quality of the HRW's as I really believe choice of pickup is all about personal preference.

I would say that, from a business point of view, having your own branded pickups is a shrewd move and better than the Schaller option.

Still... at least we all know now.

I'm not sure what we know.  The pictures prove that the HRW uses Schaller components, but I doubt many custom pickup producers actually stamp, mold or make the metal/plastic components of the pickup; they basically assemble the form from available components and then wind. 

It would make sense, given the long running relationship and use of pickups rings, etc., that Heritage might source those components from Schaller.  The pickup might use the same backplate and yet have completely different magnets, wire type, # of windings, etc. ...and it might have been assembled in the Schaller factory to spec, or assembled in Kzoo using those components.  Can't judge a pickup by its cover.

I think what we knew was... That HRW's were made to a design by Ren.

What we didn't really know (for certain) was where/by whom...

What we now know (almost certainly) is by whom.

Regards where they are assembled... We'll have to send Brent in to ask... ;)

To be honest though... I'd be amazed if they weren't made by Schaller but to Rens design. I can't see why H would want to assemble them when Schaller already have the equipment and expertise. ???

Still no judgment as to quality passed by me... ;) I was only ever trying to find where/by whom they were made and I think that's pretty much sorted.

I still think that they are just Schallers with different magnets. That would be a fairly easy and cost effective way to mod them. Perhaps the had Alnico Vs' and they swap em' with A IIs or A IV's etc. Only Ren knows fer sure!  ???

Cosmik:

I 'd bet you are right, if I were a betting man: HRW's are probably made to spec, and Schaller logically would  not allow their retail sale because they have exclusive marketing agreements with their retailers.  My only point is that there's no way to determine that for certain from the backplate.  Or, Davesultra could be correct that just the magnets are swapped... but then Stew Mac sells a winding machine for less than $400 and all necessary components.  If repair shops are being encouraged to wind-their-own, why not a small manufacturer?  Couldn't someone with examples of both and a multimeter do a simple reading and see if the coils are wound to the same resistance?  That might resolve the issue of same/different winding. 

...or then, someone could just ask Ren, but what fun would that be? Sort of like reading the instructions...

Couldn't someone with examples of both and a multimeter do a simple reading and see if the coils are wound to the same resistance?  That might resolve the issue of same/different winding. 

...or then, someone could just ask Ren, but what fun would that be? Sort of like reading the instructions...

I'm going to measure the resistances but as I don't doubt that the pickups are different, though made by the same people, it won't prove much.

More interesting, from a business/marketing point of view, would be to ask Brent to pop in the factory and ask.

So... Brent... If you read this... How about it?

Couldn't resist...

Pulled the sticker and guess what...

Schaller "Made in Germany"...  :o

I'll post pics tomorrow just in case there are any doubters.

As a final word... I'd just like to say that I've no problem with where they are made. It's how they sound that matters... And that's subjective... ;) ;D

My understanding has always been that the HRWs were either wound by Schaller to Ren's specifications, or the guts were provided to Heritage and Ren wound them.  Under either scenario, I wouldn't be surprised to find Schaller stamped on there.  As Cosmik observes, it's how you find them that matters.  I do think they sound different/better than the stock Schallers, but that's just me.

Couldn't resist...

Pulled the sticker and guess what...

Schaller "Made in Germany"...  :o

I'll post pics tomorrow just in case there are any doubters.

As a final word... I'd just like to say that I've no problem with where they are made. It's how they sound that matters... And that's subjective... ;) ;D

I agree, I could care less who or where the heck they're made, I love the sound of my Ultra! Someday I'll learn how to post pics.  :P

Here's the pic as promised.

width=480 height=480http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll185/Heritageguitarpics/hrwschaller2.jpg[/img]

Now IMHO the HRW's sound better than the stock Schaller so... Why don't Schaller make something closer to the RW design? Surely they know what the differences are.

Possibly stock Schallers they are made to a price ?

Heritage presumably liked the design and decided to customise it to suit their own needs.

The HRW is a souped up Schaller, I can live with that.

Think of it like the difference between a stock VW Golf and a Golf GTI ... one is reliable and dependable the other is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Archived