Heritage Owners Club

H-150 mod questions

NoNameBand

Hello all, most of you know I just bought my VSB-150 from GC in Georgia. Now of course, I have some questions regarding mods I want to make.

1). Are the Schaller bridge and tailpiece interchangeable with the Nashville bridge and stopbar tailpiece, ie: TonePros? Or do I have to change studs? I want to install the locking TonePro Aluminum Stopbar and Nashville bridge.

2). Are the pots long or short shaft? I want to order a Vintage wiring kit from RS Guitarworks to go with my new Sheptone Tribute pups.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Mark

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really re-read these... but there may be some answers here...

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10753-some-guidance-please/

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10943-drop-in-replacement-bridges-and-tailpiece/page__pid__129509#entry129509

The TonePros part number for a locking, pre-grooved bridge/locking tailpiece, in nickel finish with matching posts/studs for direct retrofit is LPNM04 (ungrooved is LPNS02). If you like chrome parts, change the 'N' in the part number for a 'C'.

I haven't verified this info...

Hello all, most of you know I just bought my VSB-150 from GC in Georgia. Now of course, I have some questions regarding mods I want to make.

1). Are the Schaller bridge and tailpiece interchangeable with the Nashville bridge and stopbar tailpiece, ie: TonePros? Or do I have to change studs? I want to install the locking TonePro Aluminum Stopbar and Nashville bridge.

2). Are the pots long or short shaft? I want to order a Vintage wiring kit from RS Guitarworks to go with my new Sheptone Tribute pups.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Mark

Mark: Call RS Guitar Works direct. Ask for Roy. Tell him exactly what you have and exactly what you want to do. He will give you excellent guidance. You can Google them to get their phone number. Roy is very familiar with all Heritage options for the H150.

In the one thread, the bushings were changed out also, so it doesn't guarantee that those are the parts are an easy replacement with the old bushings still used.

There was a company that several here had ordered from that said the Bridge / Tailpiece was an easy install. I don't remember who they are right now....

I've had two guitars with the Schaller hdware changed out, both at the factory by Ren, took about 2 minutes to make a swap out.

By the way, congrats on the new guitar!

See you both in Aug,

chico

Hi NoName, while you're ripping that 150 to bits, you might also consider replacing those Rotomatics with some of these:

0972c6f1.jpg

TonePros Kluson tuners - another easy upgrade. I did the bridge, tailpiece and tuners myself. Oh, and the Phat Cats too :)

06b26dc8.jpg

Hi NoName, while you're ripping that 150 to bits, you might also consider replacing those Rotomatics with some of these:

0972c6f1.jpg

TonePros Kluson tuners - another easy upgrade. I did the bridge, tailpiece and tuners myself. Oh, and the Phat Cats too :)

06b26dc8.jpg

I would like to see what the back of the headstock looks like. Any exposed holes? If not, I would like to change them out to TonePros Kluson tuners.

Thanks

In the one thread, the bushings were changed out also, so it doesn't guarantee that those are the parts are an easy replacement with the old bushings still used.

There was a company that several here had ordered from that said the Bridge / Tailpiece was an easy install. I don't remember who they are right now....

I spoke to Ren and he said that they would fit by using the new studs provided with the new parts. Threads and spacing are the same. Just ordered a new TonePros Nashville locking bridge and Aluminum Stop bar. Talked to Billy at Guitar Works about installing the new Sheptone Tributes and vintage wiring kit along with a set-up and bone nut. I intend to drop it off on Valentines Day, How appropriate?

I appreciate everyones help. You Guys are awesome. What is HunterBurst? Supposedly, that is the color. I've never heard of it. I thought it was a light VSB. Does this mean I still don't have a VSB? Just when I thought my work was done.

What is HunterBurst? Supposedly, that is the color. I've never heard of it. I thought it was a light VSB. Does this mean I still don't have a VSB? Just when I thought my work was done.

The HunterBurst refers to a guitar that Slash of Guns-n-Roses had. For whatever reason, there are a lot of people into the details of his Les Pauls and who made them and their history. A lot of his weren't really Gibsons, but were replicas, like his Les Paul made by "Max".

The HunterBurst got it's name in that it was owned by Steve Hunter (Alice Cooper / Lou Reed guitarist) before Slash bought it.

I think that the description when you bought it used that term to describe it also...

I am glad that you are getting things together, you're going to love this guitar ..and those pickups.

I would like to see what the back of the headstock looks like. Any exposed holes? If not, I would like to change them out to TonePros Kluson tuners.

Thanks

The tulips use the screw-hole for the Rotomatic and a new hole is required on the opposite side of the gear case. I'll post a photo later - just on my way home from work now.

I spoke to Ren and he said that they would fit by using the new studs provided with the new parts. Threads and spacing are the same. Just ordered a new TonePros Nashville locking bridge and Aluminum Stop bar.

The TonePros kit is top notch - nice choice!

I thought it was a light VSB. Does this mean I still don't have a VSB? Just when I thought my work was done.

Open up the control cavity and look at the back of the plastic plate - that should confirm the model and finish. Like this:

OrangeDrops011.jpg

As requested, back of H-150 headstock with TonePros Kluson tuner mod:

408e5b39.jpg

Thanks, I'm going to do that too. I like the look a lot and I believe they are superior to the originals as far as tuning. So Fred has enlightened me as to the color. It is HunterBurst as in Steve Hunter.

Thanks, I'm going to do that too. I like the look a lot and I believe they are superior to the originals as far as tuning. So Fred has enlightened me as to the color. It is HunterBurst as in Steve Hunter.

Of course, Heritage doesn't name it HunterBurst.. they will say it's a VSB..

someone at Guitar Center decided that HunterBurst was a good description for it.

Of course, Heritage doesn't name it HunterBurst.. they will say it's a VSB..

someone at Guitar Center decided that HunterBurst was a good description for it.

So, do I have a HunterBurst or a VSB? I love the color what ever it's called.

So, do I have a HunterBurst or a VSB? I love the color what ever it's called.

You have a VSB.

Of course, that statement is complicated by the fact that there is a degree of variance in VSB finishes ( being hand done ) and .. someone may have ordered a VSB with a slightly different look.

You have a VSB.

Of course, that statement is complicated by the fact that there is a degree of variance in VSB finishes ( being hand done ) and .. someone may have ordered a VSB with a slightly different look.

Well, I am very happy with my VSB 150. I have installed a TonePros locking Nashville Bridge and a locking Aluminum Stop bar along with a Cream Poker Chip and Amber switch tip. I am waiting for the ShepTones and will let RS Guitar Works install the pups, Vintage wiring kit, Bone nut and fret dress. It will probably be about 4 weeks before completed. So far, it's great.

Well, I am very happy with my VSB 150. I have installed a TonePros locking Nashville Bridge and a locking Aluminum Stop bar along with a Cream Poker Chip and Amber switch tip. I am waiting for the ShepTones and will let RS Guitar Works install the pups, Vintage wiring kit, Bone nut and fret dress. It will probably be about 4 weeks before completed. So far, it's great.

Mark: Four weeks??? That's a long time away. I suggest that you buy another H 150 in VSB . . . just so you have one to look at and play until yours is done. ;)

Did you talk to Roy down at RS Guitar works? Those guys are the best! Sleep with confidence. Your guitar couldn't be in better hands. Did they suggest the Nashville bridge? Or was that of your doing? Just curious why you didn't go with the ABR1. Are the studs and stud posts different?

Mark: Four weeks??? That's a long time away. I suggest that you buy another H 150 in VSB . . . just so you have one to look at and play until yours is done. ;)

Did you talk to Roy down at RS Guitar works? Those guys are the best! Sleep with confidence. Your guitar couldn't be in better hands. Did they suggest the Nashville bridge? Or was that of your doing? Just curious why you didn't go with the ABR1. Are the studs and stud posts different?

Hello Patrick, the wait is due to the Sheptone pups. They take 4-6 weeks. Regarding the ABR1 vs Nashville, the studs are different. The studs for the Nashville are actual studs with anchors in the body, the ABR1 requires embedded screws (threaded posts) in to the body with thumb wheels adjusting up/down the threaded posts, no studs/anchors. Being as the guitar already had studs, the Nashville was the best choice.

It is obvious that you have this well planned out.. and the results will reflect that. You've even thought of some of the small , seemingly insignificant details that some would overlook.

Have you had Sheptones before? ...

I love the set in my 157.

Hello Patrick, the wait is due to the Sheptone pups. They take 4-6 weeks. Regarding the ABR1 vs Nashville, the studs are different. The studs for the Nashville are actual studs with anchors in the body, the ABR1 requires embedded screws (threaded posts) in to the body with thumb wheels adjusting up/down the threaded posts, no studs/anchors. Being as the guitar already had studs, the Nashville was the best choice.

Oh, yeah . . . right. I was confusing (in my mind's eye) the stud posts for the stop tail piece . . . with the bridge. After reading your post I went and looked at my R9 and R6, as compared to one of my H 150s. It would appear that the Nashville set up might be a better transfer of resonance into the body due to the studs? That would explain why the 1953, '54 & '55 LPs sounded so great. Especially the '54s. There are stud posts that go down through the maple top into the 'hog body. DAMN IT!!! Now I'm going to have to buy an R4. Actually, I was bidding on one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120677264563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. It's a 2000 in mint condition. I was also talking to the guy off ebay as well. I stopped negotiating when he turned down $2,400. I would have gone higher, but I think this guy is looking for over $4,000 for the guitar.

Yep, I'm sure of it. I'm either going to seek out an Gibson R4 gold top . . . or I'm going to have Marv build me one with a wrap around tail piece. I just wish Heritage would use the actual bronze powder in their gold top color that Gibson uses. I prefer the Gibson shade and complexity of gold over Heritage's.

Archived