Heritage Owners Club

H-150 mod questions

NoNameBand

It is obvious that you have this well planned out.. and the results will reflect that. You've even thought of some of the small , seemingly insignificant details that some would overlook.

Have you had Sheptones before? ...

I love the set in my 157.

Fred, never had them yet. I'm looking forward to it. The only other pup I might be interested in are the Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs. But, I want the ShepTones first. I'm also considering a set for my Strat.

Oh, yeah . . . right. I was confusing (in my mind's eye) the stud posts for the stop tail piece . . . with the bridge. After reading your post I went and looked at my R9 and R6, as compared to one of my H 150s. It would appear that the Nashville set up might be a better transfer of resonance into the body due to the studs? That would explain why the 1953, '54 & '55 LPs sounded so great. Especially the '54s. There are stud posts that go down through the maple top into the 'hog body. DAMN IT!!! Now I'm going to have to buy an R4. Actually, I was bidding on one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120677264563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. It's a 2000 in mint condition. I was also talking to the guy off ebay as well. I stopped negotiating when he turned down $2,400. I would have gone higher, but I think this guy is looking for over $4,000 for the guitar.

Yep, I'm sure of it. I'm either going to seek out an Gibson R4 gold top . . . or I'm going to have Marv build me one with a wrap around tail piece. I just wish Heritage would use the actual bronze powder in their gold top color that Gibson uses. I prefer the Gibson shade and complexity of gold over Heritage's.

I agree with the Gibby Gold Top color, it's perfect. A friend of mine bought a Custom Shop Gibby '56 reissue Gold Top (light back) w/P90's in mint condition for $1,000.00 at a yard sale a year ago including the HS case from a Airline Pilot going through a divorce. I never find deals like that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, yeah . . . right. I was confusing (in my mind's eye) the stud posts for the stop tail piece . . . with the bridge. After reading your post I went and looked at my R9 and R6, as compared to one of my H 150s. It would appear that the Nashville set up might be a better transfer of resonance into the body due to the studs? That would explain why the 1953, '54 & '55 LPs sounded so great. Especially the '54s. There are stud posts that go down through the maple top into the 'hog body. DAMN IT!!! Now I'm going to have to buy an R4. Actually, I was bidding on one on ebay

Patrick,

There are a few conversion post available to put an ABR-1 on a Nashville post. Check out the Faber posts where you pull out the Nashville fitting and screw their steel posts directly into the top. Better contact than either the ABR-1 or Nashville system and you can put the ABR-1 on.

Guest HRB853370

Fred, never had them yet. I'm looking forward to it. The only other pup I might be interested in are the Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs. But, I want the ShepTones first. I'm also considering a set for my Strat.

I agree with the Gibby Gold Top color, it's perfect. A friend of mine bought a Custom Shop Gibby '56 reissue Gold Top (light back) w/P90's in mint condition for $1,000.00 at a yard sale a year ago including the HS case from a Airline Pilot going through a divorce. I never find deals like that.

Always visit your local dump and peek in the dumpster bin. My father in law's cousin found an old Martin D-28 that was in the case, laying in the dumpster. An angry wife or girlfriend, no doubt!

Well, the latest update. The VSB 150 showed it's true colors last night at practice. Some Allman Bros.- One Way Out, Steely Dan - Reelin in the Years, Stones - Miss You & Honkey Tonk Woman, Santana - Black Magic Woman & Europa, Eagles - Hotel California & Fast lane to mention a few. IT Cranked!!! Even with the SD '59s (Neck & Bridge), it was smokin. The TonePros bridge and Aluminum stop-bar tailpiece have been installed and intonated perfectly. The sustain on this Bad Boy is off the hook. So far, so good. Still waiting on the ShepTones for a couple more weeks and then off to RS GuitarWorks for the finishing details.

Those TonePro Kluson tuners look awesome. They would look awesome on my H-150. I would love to find some locking tuners that look like those.

They make a set of locking tuners and they come standard on PRS. TPK Kluson Tuner 3 per side Keystone Bolt Bushing Locking - Nickel

[TPKB3L-N] $89.50 from Marquis Distribution

http://www.marquisdistribution.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=43_45&products_id=176&osCsid=0639efa6b5ef785add95eadb26b7d1ae

• 3 weeks later...

Well hello all, I have been in sunny South Beach for a couple of weeks, 80 degrees and sunny every day and thinking of all of you. 1 full day of Deep sea Kite fishing from a 60' Hatteras, caught 15 fish including 1 Sailfish. The boat show, the wine festival, great restaurants and great weather, oh I missed you all. Well since my return late Sunday night, I received the Sheptone pups and of course, could not wait for RS Guitarworks, so I installed them myself, wow, I love them. Everything is in the guitar that I wanted except the wiring and the Bone nut. It's off to RS Guitarworks this or next week for the new wiring, bone nut and a set-up. That should do it. I must say, it's coming along nicely. I love my VSB 150.

Good to be back

Well hello all, I have been in sunny South Beach for a couple of weeks, 80 degrees and sunny every day and thinking of all of you. 1 full day of Deep sea Kite fishing from a 60' Hatteras, caught 15 fish including 1 Sailfish. The boat show, the wine festival, great restaurants and great weather, oh I missed you all. Well since my return late Sunday night, I received the Sheptone pups and of course, could not wait for RS Guitarworks, so I installed them myself, wow, I love them. Everything is in the guitar that I wanted except the wiring and the Bone nut. It's off to RS Guitarworks this or next week for the new wiring, bone nut and a set-up. That should do it. I must say, it's coming along nicely. I love my VSB 150.

Good to be back

I was wondering where you went to...

The vacation with the fishing..(a Sailfish ! ) sounds great.

I predicted the Sheptones would be a winner.

Deep sea kite fishing? Me no understand.

Nice to have you back, NNB :)

They fly 2 kites from the large booms on each side of the boat. Then they put out 8 lines/poles, 4 on each kite. The lines are suspended from the kites and therefore, remain untangled as thet drop straight down in to the water. They can also better manage the depth of each line. When a fish bites, the line drops from the kite and the remaining lines are out of the way of the one you are working. Great system. It's the first time I have seen it used. My understanding is they all (professional fishing boats) use it now.

Mark,

There is only one Hunterburst. It's a nice looking LP, nothing more.

It was a mistake for GC to call yours a Hunterburst. First, the flaming is very different in yours. Second, few would know what he meant. That probably delayed the sale.

I'm considering getting the TonePros tulips, too. They do have the locking option available. I like the function but they look strange.

Mark,

There is only one Hunterburst. It's a nice looking LP, nothing more.

It was a mistake for GC to call yours a Hunterburst. First, the flaming is very different in yours. Second, few would know what he meant. That probably delayed the sale.

I'm considering getting the TonePros tulips, too. They do have the locking option available. I like the function but they look strange.

Yeah, the Paul Reed Smith uses the TonePros/Kluson locking tuner. You can see them there. I don't like them either. I will go with the non-locking model. TonePros has dramatically improved the tuner and that will be good enough for me. This is One Smokin 150. I'm going to have RS GuitarWorks weigh it but I'm estimating over 11 lbs. Well worth it for me though, It has the best sustain & sound un-plugged of any guitar I own. That is only amplified when plugged in. I'm so glad I was patient, it really worked out great, what ever color it is. It's actually, what I wanted, VSB.

Happy Birthday...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, I want to say to all who have been so supportive of my long quest, thank you for cheering me on. I picked up my Precious 150 VSB yesterday from RS Guitarworks. HOLY Fingerboards Batman. It is everything I dreamed of and could have hoped to imagine. I am so luck that it turned out the way it did. I will post new pics next week. Here is what I have done or had done by RS Guitarworks (they are Awesome and thanks Patrick for the intro to Roy).

1). TonePros locking Nashville bridge, no modification to the guitar was necessary

2). TonePros locking Aluminum Stop Bar tailpiece, no modification to the guitar was necessary

3). Bone nut, installed by RS

4). ShepTone Tribute pickups (thanks to FredZepp for the tip), installed by RS

5). Vintage Electronics & wiring w/Jensen Caps, installed by RS

6). Complete set-up by Billy at RS (best I have ever had)

7). Last but not least, Cream poker chip, Amber switch tip & Gold Top Hats. All hardware is Nickel.

The sound and feel is amazing. It weighed in at 9lbs and 10oz. Sustain forever and tone is amazing for soft jazz, clean/dirty blues and nasty rock with no harsh edges. Goldilocks would love it, it's just right. It's all there. I will bring it to PSP and you can check it our for yourselves. Not only can I not wait to share the pics, I want as many to try it as you want at PSP.

Thanks again

Hello again, I want to say to all who have been so supportive of my long quest, thank you for cheering me on. I picked up my Precious 150 VSB yesterday from RS Guitarworks. HOLY Fingerboards Batman. It is everything I dreamed of and could have hoped to imagine. I am so luck that it turned out the way it did. I will post new pics next week. Here is what I have done or had done by RS Guitarworks (they are Awesome and thanks Patrick for the intro to Roy).

1). TonePros locking Nashville bridge, no modification to the guitar was necessary

2). TonePros locking Aluminum Stop Bar tailpiece, no modification to the guitar was necessary

3). Bone nut, installed by RS

4). ShepTone Tribute pickups (thanks to FredZepp for the tip), installed by RS

5). Vintage Electronics & wiring w/Jensen Caps, installed by RS

6). Complete set-up by Billy at RS (best I have ever had)

7). Last but not least, Cream poker chip, Amber switch tip & Gold Top Hats. All hardware is Nickel.

The sound and feel is amazing. It weighed in at 9lbs and 10oz. Sustain forever and tone is amazing for soft jazz, clean/dirty blues and nasty rock with no harsh edges. Goldilocks would love it, it's just right. It's all there. I will bring it to PSP and you can check it our for yourselves. Not only can I not wait to share the pics, I want as many to try it as you want at PSP.

Thanks again

You did your homework well !! That is spec-ed out to be a classic .

The Sheptones are a delight. I played mine last night and they are vintage Tone with a capital T.

So... we have to wait until next week to see pics of the final result... it should be a beauty worth waiting for.

Well folks, after long delays, feast your eyes on a great example of a (wait for it, wait for it), 1992 H-150 VSB. The project is complete and not to disappoint. Everything from the guitar itself, to all of the modifications turned out perfect. I know these pictures are not up to the standards of some of the fine folks here but they are the best that I can do. I got very lucky on the guitar, buying it over the internet, it could have been a dog. But thankfully, it's not. In my previous post, I listed the mods so I won't bore you with those again. Lets just say, at PSP this year, you can try it and see for yourselves, how good it turned out. It feels, plays & sounds great. I could not be happier. Thank you all for the support, encouragement and tech help from so many of you. It was completely worth the wait and the effort. In the end, I encourage all of those who are contemplating a new guitar, to get what you want and don't settle.

Thanks,

Mark

post-2180-0-80244500-1301426758_thumb.jpg

post-2180-0-14106100-1301426835_thumb.jpg

Congrats, Mark! It's a jewel. Should be several VSB 150's in attendance this summer. We'll have to get a group photo! Can't wait to hear (and maybe spank?) yours! Well done; the RS guys sound like they know what they're doing!

Certified: Vintage Authentic from Parsons St. Kalamazoo

It's good to see this one and to hear that you are pleased with your choices on it.

That one is SWEET...

H-150%2520body%25201.JPG

H-150%2520full%25201.JPG

Fred, somehow the pictures look better after you touch them not to mention the cool text. Thanks, I saved them.

Archived