Heritage Owners Club

Hey Jazz guys... advice on Soild State amps

Kuz

Myself and a couple of guys are thinking of forming a laid back, dinner music, jazz trio.

I have a '67 Vibrolux and a Carr Rambler that could flip the bill, but I am interested in a solid state dedicated jazz amp.

I have researched a little on Acoustic Image, JazzKat, and Henriksen.

SO I have heard that AI is top of the line and possibly Henriksen sounds better than JazzKat. I DO NOT WANT ANY TUBE FOR PRE-AMP, I want pure clean headroom.

Thoughts on the above?

Plus..... Head & cab vs Combo.... and 10" speaker vs 12".

Thanks guys,

John

Myself and a couple of guys are thinking of forming a laid back, dinner music, jazz trio.

I have a '67 Vibrolux and a Carr Rambler that could flip the bill, but I am interested in a solid state dedicated jazz amp.

I have researched a little on Acoustic Image, JazzKat, and Henriksen.

SO I have heard that AI is top of the line and possibly Henriksen sounds better than JazzKat. I DO NOT WANT ANY TUBE FOR PRE-AMP, I want pure clean headroom.

Thoughts on the above?

Plus..... Head & cab vs Combo.... and 10" speaker vs 12".

Thanks guys,

John

Look into Evans . . . . I've got one and I love it. More clean head room than you'll ever need and beautiful tube-like sound

...not claiming to be a jazzer, but I like my Polytone Mini Brute. Bought it 'cause it was too good a deal to walk by, but have been surprised how I like it. I always thought Polytones were jazzer amps, but maybe they aren't as popular as they once were?

I have a Roland KC500 that I use for keybards and have had a KC300 in the past. On occasion I've used both for amplifying acoustic and electric guitar along with an Yamaha AG Stomp box for a little reverb. Sounds great.

Tal

A great little combo is the AER Compact 60, which was designed for acoustic guitars but has been used by a number of UK jazzers. Two channels, one of which has an XLR/jack socket so you can plug in a microphone as well. They're not cheap (around 800ukp!) but are extremely well made (in Germany), very portable and surprisingly loud. http://www.aer-amps.info/index.php?lang=en

Was talking with a store owner/musician yesterday. He sells Acoustic Image but feels the time has passed them by. You can buy the same technology for a lot less, says he.

His thought was, if you can find a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight (hard, since they are discontinued - he has a used head unit for $499, but I know where two new complete ones are!!) or a Fishman Loudbox Mini (!!) you would be bucks up. If you want to pay up and get the big Fishman at around $600 that would be almost overkill, in his humble opinion. I haven't tried the Fishman so can't comment. I let a Ultralight get away from me and have regretted it for a year now. I am currently using a Roland Cube 80X, which is fine for what I do, just not as good as that Fender was.

I'd snatch one of those Fender Jazzmaster Ultralights if I thought I could slip a grand under Miscellaneous Expenses in our budget……...

Thanks for all your comments guys, I would like to hear more!!!!

Patrick, that Evans (Ron Eschete model) has peaked my interests. RE is one of my favorite jazz players and if I could get ANY TONE RESEMBLING HIS.....

Only problem is that the Evans are pricey and I believe they all have a pre-amp tube. I don't want a tube distorting, just pure clean headroom.

Thanks for all your comments guys, I would like to hear more!!!!

Patrick, that Evans (Ron Eschete model) has peaked my interests. RE is one of my favorite jazz players and if I could get ANY TONE RESEMBLING HIS.....

Only problem is that the Evans are pricey and I believe they all have a pre-amp tube. I don't want a tube distorting, just pure clean headroom.

I've got an older model .. . .850. No tubes at all. It's everything I want and need in a jazz amp. They are pricy, but they are wonderful. The guys at Evans are a great as those up at Heritage. You can call them and tell them exactly what you want and they'll build it for you. Evans amps are known for their pure clean head room, their tube like tone and they are virtually silent . . until you strike a string.

I have both a JazzKat TwinKat and AI Clarus 2 (paired with Raezer's edge Stealth 10. AI Clarus is fantastic. JazzKat is good. for straight ahead playing with a qualtiy guitar, i recommend the AI first. The TwinKat is also very good though and cheaper.

On occasion I've used both for amplifying acoustic and electric guitar along with an Yamaha AG Stomp box for a little reverb. Sounds great.

Tal

Your the first person aside from myself that I've heard of who uses a Yamaha AG Stomp.

Your the first person aside from myself that I've heard of who uses a Yamaha AG Stomp.

I use a MagicStomp with a bunch of UD presets that I downloaded from the website. Gives me exactly what I'm looking for when I play clean jazz tones (a little delay/reverb/chorusing to get that 70's Metheny/Holdsworth sound)...

I use a MagicStomp with a bunch of UD presets that I downloaded from the website. Gives me exactly what I'm looking for when I play clean jazz tones (a little delay/reverb/chorusing to get that 70's Metheny/Holdsworth sound)...

I've got the AG Stomp, UD Stomp, and Magicstomp. The UD gets used with my electric guitar tube amp rig and the AG gets used with my acoustics. All of my pedals (25-30) however have been collecting dust since I got the Axe-Fx Ultra.

The reason I mention this is because KUZ wants suggestions for a great Jazz amp. When it comes to Jazz amps IMO your simply not going to find a better or more versatile one then the Axe-Fx coupled with a good SS power-amp and some FRFR speakers. It's a bit on the pricey side but if you consider what's wrapped up in that single black box it's quite a bargain. For Jazz (and most other music) I'd put it up against any amp in the world.

I've got the AG Stomp, UD Stomp, and Magicstomp. The UD gets used with my electric guitar tube amp rig and the AG gets used with my acoustics. All of my pedals (25-30) however have been collecting dust since I got the Axe-Fx Ultra.

The reason I mention this is because KUZ wants suggestions for a great Jazz amp. When it comes to Jazz amps IMO your simply not going to find a better or more versatile one then the Axe-Fx coupled with a good SS power-amp and some FRFR speakers. It's a bit on the pricey side but if you consider what's wrapped up in that single black box it's quite a bargain. For Jazz (and most other music) I'd put it up against any amp in the world.

I agree completely, and I have an Axe-fx. It is incredible, especially for recording. I wouldn't use it live though. Too much stuff to carry and mess with. I just want a grab and go SS amp. I am looking at the above mentioned Acoustic Image and Evans.

Hear is a track using the Axe-Fx with my 525 on a modeled Twin

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=933379&songID=9720495

And another using the Axe-Fx with my 575 Custom

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=933379&songID=9744990

I agree completely, and I have an Axe-fx. It is incredible, especially for recording. I wouldn't use it live though. Too much stuff to carry and mess with. I just want a grab and go SS amp. I am looking at the above mentioned Acoustic Image and Evans.

I'd LOVE to have the Fractal, but it is simply too expensive for me. Therefore, I must go the cheap route and use my 16 (or so) pedals with my Roland JC 77. It accepts pedals well given it's clean tone. You can color your sound any way you want (of course, you'd have all you need with the Axe-FX...I don't gig though, so I have everything set up permanent-like in my basement studio). Incidently, I'm waiting for yet another pedal to arrive in the mail...a Hermida Audio Zendrive...can't wait to play with that!

PS: VERY nice playing!!

KUZ another one I would suggest for the type of amp your looking for would be a Roland Cube 80. It's small, light, portable, and easily powerful enough to gig with. The JC Clean setting on this amp is basically the same as the famous Roland JC 120 which has been a favorite of Jazz guitarists for many years. It is also the most reasonably priced amp of all the suggestions so far. I almost bought one several months ago but chose the Axe-Fx Ultra instead.

I have a Henriksen JazzAmp 110. Terrific amp. Just love it.

I would probably buy a 12 if I was buying new but I picked it up used.

It has plenty of headroom for small combo jazz and

sounds superb with a 575. The EQ setup allow you to

easily get a good tone in any room.

Very pleased. with it.

I know you don't want to read this, but I play jazz exclusively and the best tone I ever got was through a Carr Rambler at a jam session. Better than I've ever gotten out of my DRRI, Fender twins, Silverface Princetons, or my Jazzkat Twinkat.

Funny you mention that... I have a Carr Ramble and was playing it with the Eagle the other day. The Rambler has a Pentode & Triode power setting. The Triode is less power and has a warmer browner tone. The Pentode has more chime. When I was playing the Eagle through the Triode I was asking myself if there could be a better jazz tone that this Rambler Triode setting.

Thanks, you may have just saved me a cool $1K!!!

Archived