Heritage Owners Club

Hey Jazz guys... advice on Soild State amps

Kuz

I have limited knowledge on this subject and haven't tried pretty much any of the amps mentioned here (need to get out more). I do have my old Twin that I blackfaced. I get sweet clean tones with a little bit of tube warmth. Regarding solid state amps I was shocked to come across an early 70's solid state twin reverb on e bay. Had never seen one before. Evidently Fender made them for a short time. Looked nothing like a tube twin.

Here is the link

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Twin+Reverb+solid+state&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=Twin+Reverb+solid+state&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1

Funny you mention that... I have a Carr Ramble and was playing it with the Eagle the other day. The Rambler has a Pentode & Triode power setting. The Triode is less power and has a warmer browner tone. The Pentode has more chime. When I was playing the Eagle through the Triode I was asking myself if there could be a better jazz tone that this Rambler Triode setting.

Thanks, you may have just saved me a cool $1K!!!

Actually I brought it up specifically to make the point that you've already got one of my all time dream jazz amps. Here's the review of the rambler from Jazztimes:

My link

Here is a side-by-side with a Headstrong Lil' King S (my other dream amp) and a Victoria:

My link

Actually I brought it up specifically to make the point that you've already got one of my all time dream jazz amps. Here's the review of the rambler from Jazztimes:

My link

Here is a side-by-side with a Headstrong Lil' King S (my other dream amp) and a Victoria:

My link

Thanks so much for posting those articles & clips. Makes me realize, I have already what I thought I needed!!!!

Hi John

I have been playing a Phil Jones Cub for about 3 years now,,

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=13

Its a little wonder, weighs 11 lbs and extremely giggable... I play mainly swing and bop , most times through my 550 and dont use effects..I have a souped up neck pup from KA and let me tell you that I can cut through drums and horns..with this little fellow

When I need more juice I have preamped through a Fishman Box..

I have considered an outboard reverb pedal, but frankly if you want clean lines and warmth, the natural sound of the archtop works real well

I think they make a big brother to this amp,

The Cub can be picked up for $450 if you shop around.. here is what might be a good deal that will leave you a few books to spend on a good dinner !

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/aad-phil-jones-cub-ag-100-used.html

Another vote for the Roland Cube. I have a 30x model, the 80 watt version would be more than good enough for gigging and they are very light, but also very durable. The price isn't too bad either and with a built in tuner,effects, a looper and several amp models you can't go wrong.

I know you don't want to read this, but I play jazz exclusively and the best tone I ever got was through a Carr Rambler at a jam session. Better than I've ever gotten out of my DRRI, Fender twins, Silverface Princetons, or my Jazzkat Twinkat.

ingeneri,

+1. I don't play jazz, but best clean tone I've ever heard.

I'm still using my Fender London Reverb amp from the 80's.You must be able to pick these up in the States for very little.The 1 x 12" is great for jazz,and light. Look out also for the Montreaux,same amp,no graphic.

Peter Alton Green

Hello John,

Phil Jones Cub AG-100 is nice, but I prefer its big brother - Super Cub. Also check out ZT Club – also an excellent amp.

Please click on links below for reviews of all three amps:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20090720/727/Video_Review_Phil_Jones_AAD_CUB_AG_100_Super_CUB.aspx

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20100506/1009/Video_Review_ZT_Amplifiers_Club.aspx

Dennis

Thanks everyone for your input and keep them coming!!!

I just missed out on a used Evans custom amp on Ebay, CRAP!!!!

Someone over on www.steelguitarforum.com is selling a Standel Custom XV from the 60s or 70s. Wes Montgomery favored that one (or so it is claimed.) A 1x12. That would very much be worth checking out.

MD

I saw Wes in London in 1965,at Ronnie Scott's old place,and he was using a 2x12" Standell amplifier.I wrote to the British distributors at the time ( Ivor Mairants,London ) for some info,which I still have.Wes sounded great,of course.I cannot remember what he used when I saw him,again at Ronnie's,a year later.They were very nice sounding amps.Just as an aside from this subject,but the same name,my pal Paul Downing,from Hull,England joined the American band 'the Standells',and recently toured Europe with them.I think he's now quit the band.( He's the left handed player )

Peter Alton Green :icon_compress:

I'm still using my Fender London Reverb amp from the 80's.You must be able to pick these up in the States for very little.The 1 x 12" is great for jazz,and light. Look out also for the Montreaux,same amp,no graphic.

Peter Alton Green

I just had this amp serviced this week ( London Reverb,purchased 1982 ),and it's the best it's ever sounded.I did a big band gig tonight ( 10th March ),using a Strat,and it sounded great & lively.I would not normally use a Strat for a gig like this,but the volume level was quite high,and my 575 feeds back a bit at this level.There were a some rock songs with brass fills in the pad,so the guitar sounded great.On the slow ,jazzy stuff,on the neck pickup,the tone was amazing.Definitely,one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Peter Alton Green :icon_thumright:

Archived