Heritage Owners Club

5E3 V 2.0

kbp810

Started the day by firing up the ODS, now ending the day by firing up the revived and revised 5E3!

I had ordered a replacement OT on Thursday and it arrived in the mail today; couple that with having the parts I needed on hand and rain turning into ice then turning into snow (isn't it almost Spring already???) and it just all started to come right back together. (I still can't believe I was able to pull myself away from the ODS long enough to put this back together though... I took a break from playing, warmed up the soldering iron, and didn't put it down until it was done)

This round I went with a few slight modifications, most notable of which was using bigger filter caps (33uf vs 16uf) and slightly higher voltages - the result is a touch more clean headroom and much tigher bass response while still retaining plenty of tweedy tone goodness.

I got the replacement OT from Magnetics Components; they are priced extremely well, made in the USA (chicago), ship super fast, and thus far I've been fairly pleased with the results. Used their 100 watt Plexi OT on the ODS build as well... the only downside is they don't seem to accomidate custom requests; but for future builds, if they make it, I plan on buying it!

2011-03-05203207.jpg

2011-03-05203216.jpg

2011-03-05204348.jpg

It's alive! IT"S ALIVE!!!

I just hope you didn't get the brain (transformer) from a jar labeled Abby Normal. :wacko_mini2:

Congrats on the quick recovery KBP810. I had a Vibro-King here that sat for months 'till a good friend offered to ressurect it. Oh, and THANK YOU for that... :icon_thumright:

I've been given an opportunity to demo this amp for awhile. I'll be sure to test it out as much as possible. Maybe see if it can go to 11! (Just don't tell Brian! :diablo_mini: )

I've crunched the numbers and consulted with the head of my engineering department... with the bigger caps and mil-spec components we beleive that the amp may indeed be capable of going to 12.3 now...

We just need to find knobs that go from 1 to 12.3 to test it out :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

I've crunched the numbers and consulted with the head of my engineering department... with the bigger caps and mil-spec components we beleive that the amp may indeed be capable of going to 12.3 now...

We just need to find knobs that go from 1 to 12.3 to test it out :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

I've got a really big pipe wrench. I think I can squeeze it out of the control pot...

With a tad more work you'll be able to eek out a smidgen more...

post-771-0-67230900-1299593480_thumb.jpg

Lookin good Brian. Nice legs too.

Spent the last hour with this amp. Clean tone to for hours. Great amp for sure. Takes pedal quite well. Awesome amp. Couldn't crank it past 2 before the kids complained. Its LOUD!

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I gave back the borrowed tube screamer and just played the amp clean this weekend. Of course a Strat in a Clean amp can make a shrilling guitar tone, but I started to mess with the tone knobs and what a huge difference that made. Almost reminded me of low impedence humbuckers! Pretty sweet tone once you find a good spot rolled back...

Archived