Heritage Owners Club

HRW's After Market?

DetroitBlues

I was wondering if Heritage will take my original schallers they installed and turn them into HRW's? Would any know if that's possible?

Thanks,

DB.

i think it was Jim D. or Ren told me you can't remove the cover w/o wrecking the innards. so, no, i guess not. (pls call to confirm B))

i think it was Jim D. or Ren told me you can't remove the cover w/o wrecking the innards. so, no, i guess not. (pls call to confirm B))

You can remove covers easily. I've done it before, they are light soldiered on, but you can either use a soldiering iron or a razor blade to remove the covers.... From what I understant the HRW's are rewound Schallers.... Heritage must use a different wire, better magnet, better wiring, or a combination to improve the stock Schallers.... From what I've been told its a secret we may never know unless one of us has the courage to take theirs apart and compare the two.

HRWs - one of the resons why I looked about 1 year for a used 150 ultra! Plenty of "normal" 150s with schallers or SD59s

ultras are rather seldom from my experience...

You can remove covers easily. I've done it before, they are light soldiered on, but you can either use a soldiering iron or a razor blade to remove the covers.... From what I understant the HRW's are rewound Schallers.... Heritage must use a different wire, better magnet, better wiring, or a combination to improve the stock Schallers.... From what I've been told its a secret we may never know unless one of us has the courage to take theirs apart and compare the two.

yeahman. it's not a matter of courage. i'm quite courageous :rolleyes_mini: - it's a matter of money :biggrin_mini:

Got a pic of the HB-1 Bass?

hmmmm, i had something blurry, lemme check

(hmmm, daily updates & such stopped arriving by e-mail (& i've made no changes (& there appear to be others with the same deal)))

Got a pic of the HB-1 Bass?

found it

lil%20bass%20rig.jpg

the finish was somewhat iffy, so i slapped the Great Seal of the State of Iowa on 'er to dress 'er up. used this rig for smaller (ca. 100 victims or so) gigs. Colonial into Harbor Beach (MI) cab, 1x10 + horn. the peeples smirk & chortle at it, cuz it doesn't hardly come up to my knees...then you turn it on & hit a low E5 :biggrin_mini:

I finally received word from Heritage today. Yes they provide after market humbuckers at a price. A little more than expected.

I thought you knew that they would. I believe it was $200/set plus the price of shipping the guitar to them.

I LOVE Heritage to death, but the HRWs are meant for archtops (JUST MY OPINION)and you can get Tom Short Pups for less than that (plus the Shorts are a much better pickup- again, my opinion).

From what I understant the HRW's are rewound Schallers.... Heritage must use a different wire, better magnet, better wiring, or a combination to improve the stock Schallers.....

At which point, it stops being a Schaller, doesn't it?

I thought you knew that they would. I believe it was $200/set plus the price of shipping the guitar to them.

I LOVE Heritage to death, but the HRWs are meant for archtops (JUST MY OPINION)and you can get Tom Short Pups for less than that (plus the Shorts are a much better pickup- again, my opinion).

They upped the ante even more since then. I wanted my original schallers to be used so technically I can always say they are the original pickups. Since I really only needed a neck pup, I purchased a Seymour Duncan SH2N yesterday for $40. I listened to SD's audio clips to determine this was the best pickup for me (since I play clean and dirty).

What exactly are the HRW's? PAF like? I imagine that they wouldn't be in a 1992 academy that I will be looking at Saturday. Not to hijack, but does anyone know what might be in the 1992 academy?

HRWs are a Schaller 'body' with a custom wind whose details are secret. They're not like PAFs, they're higher output than that. I find the neck pickup on my HRW-equipped 170 to be a thing of sonic beauty. The bridge pickup does nothing for me.

The stock Schallers, which your Academy may have (look out for double adjustment screws at each end of the pickup), are closer to PAFs than the HRWs.

thanks for the info!

HRWs are a Schaller 'body' with a custom wind whose details are secret. They're not like PAFs, they're higher output than that. I find the neck pickup on my HRW-equipped 170 to be a thing of sonic beauty. The bridge pickup does nothing for me.

The stock Schallers, which your Academy may have (look out for double adjustment screws at each end of the pickup), are closer to PAFs than the HRWs.

I've got HRWs in a Millennium Ultra Std. The Millie is a semi-hollow, or semi-solid depending on who you ask. They produce great tone; in my view, both neck and bridge. Admittedly, I haven't heard them in a solid body, but if anything, it may darken the sound a bit. Even so, they're plenty bright in my guitar and I they'd still sound great warmed up a bit.

I put Seth Lovers in my new 150 earlier this week and have spent a fair bit of time comparing the Seths with the HRWs.

It's tough to describe. I reeaaaallly like both....a lot. But in an attempt to distinguish between the two I think the Seths want to be plugged in to a vintage Marshall amp like a 1974x or plexi. They've got a grind and a growl that's just so suited to the sound those amps were famous for. On the other hand, I think the HRWs mate best with the Fender Tweed vibe. At least that seems to be the case for me playing both the HRWs and Seth Lover pickups straight through a Blues Junior and then front-ended with a Boss amp modeler using the vintage Marshall preamp. Having said that, the HRWs also growl when played using the same Marshall settings.

I'll take a chance and say both pickups are PAF sounding, but the Seths are much more-so.

One difference I hear with the Seths (and I think with the Schallers) is an effect I get on my acoustic-electric guitar when the brilliance is too high. Perhaps that's the micro-phonic sound I've heard mentioned before.

I think I've struck pay dirt with the Seth Lovers in the H150. They've got me thinking about a Marshall 18w clone for my next acquisition. Meanwhile, I still love the jangly tweed Fender vibe and I get great tone with the HRWs. So basically, both ends of that spectrum are covered for me.

I know you didn't start out asking about Seth Lover pickups, but I see them and SD Antiquities as a kind of gold standard for vintage PAF reproductions. I thought the comparison might help you position the HRW pickups when you get around to replacing those Schallers.

I also wouldn't worry about hurting the resale by swapping in a different set that the guitar originally shipped with. It's yours to do with as you wish regardless of what you think some future owner might want. My guess is most future purchasers would prefer mods that improve the instrument: I know I would.

I've got HRWs in a Millennium Ultra Std. The Millie is a semi-hollow, or semi-solid depending on who you ask. They produce great tone; in my view, both neck and bridge. Admittedly, I haven't heard them in a solid body, but if anything, it may darken the sound a bit. Even so, they're plenty bright in my guitar and I they'd still sound great warmed up a bit.

I put Seth Lovers in my new 150 earlier this week and have spent a fair bit of time comparing the Seths with the HRWs.

It's tough to describe. I reeaaaallly like both....a lot. But in an attempt to distinguish between the two I think the Seths want to be plugged in to a vintage Marshall amp like a 1974x or plexi. They've got a grind and a growl that's just so suited to the sound those amps were famous for. On the other hand, I think the HRWs mate best with the Fender Tweed vibe. At least that seems to be the case for me playing both the HRWs and Seth Lover pickups straight through a Blues Junior and then front-ended with a Boss amp modeler using the vintage Marshall preamp. Having said that, the HRWs also growl when played using the same Marshall settings.

I'll take a chance and say both pickups are PAF sounding, but the Seths are much more-so.

One difference I hear with the Seths (and I think with the Schallers) is an effect I get on my acoustic-electric guitar when the brilliance is too high. Perhaps that's the micro-phonic sound I've heard mentioned before.

I think I've struck pay dirt with the Seth Lovers in the H150. They've got me thinking about a Marshall 18w clone for my next acquisition. Meanwhile, I still love the jangly tweed Fender vibe and I get great tone with the HRWs. So basically, both ends of that spectrum are covered for me.

I know you didn't start out asking about Seth Lover pickups, but I see them and SD Antiquities as a kind of gold standard for vintage PAF reproductions. I thought the comparison might help you position the HRW pickups when you get around to replacing those Schallers.

I also wouldn't worry about hurting the resale by swapping in a different set that the guitar originally shipped with. It's yours to do with as you wish regardless of what you think some future owner might want. My guess is most future purchasers would prefer mods that improve the instrument: I know I would.

I went to Seymour Duncan's website. There they have audio clips of their PU'.s I found I actually like the Jazz SH2N pickup for the neck the most. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

Archived