Heritage Owners Club

Amp powered up?

no worries AFAIK, brent, but kbp's the man on this subject

note: i've done more worser on my Colonial. forget the details now, but some time ago i wasn't hearing sound, so i tried this and that - beating on it while plugged in - and no speaker load! very bad indeed with any tube amp. but the Colonial's tough & didn't seem to notice.

i think i eventually traced it to a bad speaker connection (which i'd done while experimenting with different speaker types and configs...)

I have yet to play a gig where by the 3rd set the singer doesn't tell me how loud I've suddenly started playing. Thing is, once I set my amp (generally on about 2+ :aggressive_mini:) I don't change it. But them tubes get hot being on for 3 hrs + by then and they really start to sing. Oh, and when she tells me that I always mention that I don't change my settings. Then I either turn the amp away from her a bit, or put something between us. I just LOVE the sound of them cooking tubes! Yeah, baby!! :icon_thumright:

The singer in my last band complained about us being too loud. Well, when you don't mic our amps and the only way they are heard on recordings is to crank them, there is nothing I can do. So I QUIT! They weren't very nice people anyway...

The singer in my last band complained about us being too loud. Well, when you don't mic our amps and the only way they are heard on recordings is to crank them, there is nothing I can do. So I QUIT! They weren't very nice people anyway...

Sorry to hear they weren't nice people. Just as an aside, Tracy and I have been very good friends for nearly 15 yrs. Maybe more. So, I just grin and go on about my biz. We do mic, too. So that helps some. Plus, with 4 monitor mixes on stage I can get her monitor set just for her. It helps.

Hope you find some people you can play with. Couldn't imagine not playing out.

Sorry to hear they weren't nice people. Just as an aside, Tracy and I have been very good friends for nearly 15 yrs. Maybe more. So, I just grin and go on about my biz. We do mic, too. So that helps some. Plus, with 4 monitor mixes on stage I can get her monitor set just for her. It helps.

Hope you find some people you can play with. Couldn't imagine not playing out.

Well, this singer's complaint was she had to sing over us so she could hear herself. She could of used the headphones from the PA or sound mixer if it was such an issue. I offered to use a mic on my amp so we'd only hear it through the PA. But no one wanted to do that... A couple weeks later, the lead guitarist quit too. He got tired of it too (but the whole being to loud business was his fault anyway).

Not sure I'd advocate using earphones direct from a PA or mixer. Unless the units had some sort of squelch or limiter you'd run the risk of serious ear damage. One short burst of feedback and that it'd be it for the night, if not for ever. But yeah, stage volume can be very problematic. We still suffer from it, even being very aware of the problems it poses.

I've played with bass players, keys, drummers (not sure they can help it) and other guitars that just couldn't contain the volume. The problem for most of us is that our equipment doesn't really start to breathe until we're at volumes that make it difficult for others. It's the nature of the beasts. Which is why I use pedals for most of my ODs/Leads. No other instruments really need to be so loud on stage the singers can't hear thru their monitors. The only members I'm more forgiving of are the drummers. Simply because they don't really have volume controls - just touch control. Not easy to maintain over 4 hours of music/stage time. So ... we're seriously considering drum shields.

Archived