Heritage Owners Club

Amp powered up?

I was going downstairs to play last night and got side tracked.....long story short, I left my amp powered up all night. Does this hurt the amp in any way, being left on for 14+ hours?

I was going downstairs to play last night and got side tracked.....long story short, I left my amp powered up all night. Does this hurt the amp in any way, being left on for 14+ hours?

It depends.... Eddie Van Halen's latest signature amp had to pass a simple test... Strum a guitar, let it feedback. Set the guitar down while it was feeding back. Close the door and comeback after the weekend. If the amp is still going and Eddie can continue playing, the amp passes his test. Not all amps can handle such extreme measures. Best way to find out is to simply try it. Did you smell any burnt electronics or was the amp unusually hot? If you say yes to either one of those, you possibly did some damage. Good thing is KBP810 is your man for repair!

I once left my Fender Concert turned on a for a few days and nights in a not so well ventilated room.

I turned it off put it in the car and went and did a gig.

I did replace the tubes though........8yrs later!!!! :P

I love that story ^_^

" . . . no guitar was plugged in, just left it powered up"

Was it under full power or just on stand-by? I would think that stand-by would be better, but either way there should be not much of a problem with a quality amp as you were not rockin' the tubes for 14 hours.

That seems to be going around lately. In the case of my Epi Jr, it definitley harmed my amp - I suspect I burnt out a tube(s). I've been thinking that someone ought to pioneer a new mechanism for amps, whereby if they're left on for a period of time, and a person forgot/got side-tracked to put it in stand by, it puts itself in either standby or powers down - like some irons do. We could call it the Baby Boomer Special! :)

Well, in your case Koula, the epi is a single ended amp: in single ended class A the power tube is running at near max disipation (in other words, they run the power tube very, very hot!)... in a typical push/pull the power tubes are closer to 70%.

Extended time on can decrease the life of the tubes... but otherwise, generally won't do much harm.

Standby can help... when in standby power is cut to the tone circuit so while the filament is lit, there is no signal being passed. When not in standby, even though it's not being played, there is still signal (albeit a signal inaudible to the human ear) passing through.

Well, in your case Koula, the epi is a single ended amp: in single ended class A the power tube is running at near max disipation (in other words, they run the power tube very, very hot!)... in a typical push/pull the power tubes are closer to 70%.

Extended time on can decrease the life of the tubes... but otherwise, generally won't do much harm.

Standby can help... when in standby power is cut to the tone circuit so while the filament is lit, there is no signal being passed. When not in standby, even though it's not being played, there is still signal (albeit a signal inaudible to the human ear) passing through.

Wow..I just learned something..

Oh Boy...my amp wasnt on standby...i have a silent plug so i dont put it on standby to save the switch......by leaving that amp on for 14+ hours, did i hurt the power tubes?

I do that all the time with both the Carmen Ghia and the Vox AC30. Both still working. You didn't do any major harm, Brent. If you had it would have been very evident right away. You can just consider your amp well burnt in, now. Should sound awesome. That's the Heritage amp, right?

I do that all the time with both the Carmen Ghia and the Vox AC30. Both still working. You didn't do any major harm, Brent. If you had it would have been very evident right away. You can just consider your amp well burnt in, now. Should sound awesome. That's the Heritage amp, right?

I'd be worried if it was an AC30! Man those things get HOT!

Yep, unless you smell burnt stuff, or it does something funny when you try and play it again, you are good to go!

At worst, you may have decreased the life span of the tubes... but unless you had a before and after with them on a meter, you'd probably never even really know anyways.

Guest HRB853370

If its solid state-no. If its tubes, of course it is not good for the tubes.

Guest HRB853370

That seems to be going around lately. In the case of my Epi Jr, it definitley harmed my amp - I suspect I burnt out a tube(s). I've been thinking that someone ought to pioneer a new mechanism for amps, whereby if they're left on for a period of time, and a person forgot/got side-tracked to put it in stand by, it puts itself in either standby or powers down - like some irons do. We could call it the Baby Boomer Special! :)

I sometimes forget to power down my laptop and it runs for a day or so, unattended. I know that is not good for the life of the hard drive. It also consumes unnecessary power, as an amp left on would as well.

yup the Colonial...i just jamed it on my new aquisitions...sounded great!!!

Glad your amp is OK.

Brought to mind a little bit different thing, I've got a Kenwood amplifier/receiver I bought in the 70's. It's been on for the last 20 years, at least. I turn down the volume at night, and back up during the day (it's at work). It's fine, most of the lights are still lit too. No tubes, of course. Got it at Crazy Eddie's, for you NY people.

I've read some conflicting articles about the life of tubes.One guy told me to leave them on for three or four hours when new to burn them in, also that NOS tubes are practicly indestructable.Got any thoughts or tips?

I'd be worried if it was an AC30! Man those things get HOT!

I just did it again last night. Came into the music room and there were lights on the Vox, full on. Not that I like doing that, as it will def wear the tubes faster. But, mine doesn't seem to get that hot for some reason. Just played it and all is well. Sounded great, too -- the amp, not me. :drunken_smilie:

I just did it again last night. Came into the music room and there were lights on the Vox, full on. Not that I like doing that, as it will def wear the tubes faster. But, mine doesn't seem to get that hot for some reason. Just played it and all is well. Sounded great, too -- the amp, not me. :drunken_smilie:

Its funny how when an amp is opened up how much better it makes someone sound. When playing a high wattage amp at low volume, it sounds ok. But when you get those tubes glowing, oh man, does it make your guitar really sing! Love that tone when the amp is cranked!

Its funny how when an amp is opened up how much better it makes someone sound. When playing a high wattage amp at low volume, it sounds ok. But when you get those tubes glowing, oh man, does it make your guitar really sing! Love that tone when the amp is cranked!

I have yet to play a gig where by the 3rd set the singer doesn't tell me how loud I've suddenly started playing. Thing is, once I set my amp (generally on about 2+ :aggressive_mini:) I don't change it. But them tubes get hot being on for 3 hrs + by then and they really start to sing. Oh, and when she tells me that I always mention that I don't change my settings. Then I either turn the amp away from her a bit, or put something between us. I just LOVE the sound of them cooking tubes! Yeah, baby!! :icon_thumright:

Archived