Heritage Owners Club

amp Hum 3.0

smurph1

Let me start by saying, when I took my college entrance exam I scored in the top 20 percent..But MAN AM I EMBARRASSED!! Yesterday I said that when I took the tube cage off of my Classic 30, the hum increased a hundredfold..But I failed to take into account that I had a cord plugged into the amp that was laying on the floor..I unplugged the cord, and it's quiet as a monastery at midnight! Just goes to show ya just cuz you're intelligent doesn't mean you have any common sense..DOH!! :icon_rabbit:

You shouldn't tell on yourself. We know what really happened was that through your brilliant deductive reasoning you solved the amp problem with a systematic approach...or something like that.

You shouldn't tell on yourself. We know what really happened was that through your brilliant deductive reasoning you solved the amp problem with a systematic approach...or something like that.

Indeed! Well done!

(It's always the smallest and silliest stuff that causes the biggest problems... just ask Steiner about our QA session with my first Deluxe Reverb Style build!)

YEAH!! That's what I meant to say!! :icon_thumright:

That is very akin to being on stage with a rig that suddenly quits working - hey, it worked last night, now what? And then you find out you didn't plug in the cable. Not saying I've ever done that ................. :rolleyes_mini: Just glad to hear your amp has learned the words. :icon_thumleft:

That is very akin to being on stage with a rig that suddenly quits working - hey, it worked last night, now what? And then you find out you didn't plug in the cable. Not saying I've ever done that ................. :rolleyes_mini: Just glad to hear your amp has learned the words. :icon_thumleft:

LOL... :icon_biggrin:

LOL... :icon_biggrin:

Yep, I remember once, I was trying out this amp in front of some people I new, checked the volume knobs of the guitar and amp, checked the cable into the amp and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working... Thought amp was dead until the salesman told me about the guitar being a little old fashioned and required this special plug... doh!

This actually happened to me the other night. First stage jam for me in 31 years, I'm playing a real short time, confused trying to watch a lefty guitar player, little nerveous and my Blues Jr (which I have tinkered with and modded ) starts cutting out. Power light coming on and off. Thought s... all that work and its dying now, also thought I smelled that dreaded electrical circuitry melting odor. There was a 2nd Blues Jr plugged in to the same outlet, un plugged that one by mistake while fiddling around...dirty looks from that guitar player. Wound up finding a different outlet and all was well for the rest of the night.

Whoa! Got lucky there! Its amazing how the amps were drawing too much power but didn't trip the breakers... What mod's did you do on your amp?

Basically all of Bill M's (http://billmaudio.com/wp/ a cool site for Blues Jrs fans) tone mods, pwr supply mods, his standby switch, presence control, adjustable bias and most recently the heyboer output x former. The amp may have become too much for the stock Jensen made in Italy speaker (12N maybe). Either that or I have it biased too hot. I get break up much earlier now, not that it doesn't sound sweet. I will try tweaking the bias first. Then may consider a new Eminence speaker, several intriguing choices and they are pretty affordable. There is a speaker review on the site as well.

Basically all of Bill M's (http://billmaudio.com/wp/ a cool site for Blues Jrs fans) tone mods, pwr supply mods, his standby switch, presence control, adjustable bias and most recently the heyboer output x former. The amp may have become too much for the stock Jensen made in Italy speaker (12N maybe). Either that or I have it biased too hot. I get break up much earlier now, not that it doesn't sound sweet. I will try tweaking the bias first. Then may consider a new Eminence speaker, several intriguing choices and they are pretty affordable. There is a speaker review on the site as well.

A friend at work did the whole BillM mod thing. I watched the youtube vid last night by BillM on taking a BJR apart. He makes it seem so easy!

If you can solder and use hand tools they are not bad. I had a problem in that I did mine at various times and after multiple disassembles, the ribbon cables got a little stressed and a few connections broke. I removed the damaged cables and replaced with straight wire. Honestly can't recall what the stock amp sounded like would be cool to A B with a stock amp.

If you can solder and use hand tools they are not bad. I had a problem in that I did mine at various times and after multiple disassembles, the ribbon cables got a little stressed and a few connections broke. I removed the damaged cables and replaced with straight wire. Honestly can't recall what the stock amp sounded like would be cool to A B with a stock amp.

The only A/B comparison I've ever heard was a Blues Jr compared to the Blues Jr Tweed (Which really only has a better speaker and covered in Tolex). I wish there was a BillM comparison vid out there to the stock jr.

Archived