Heritage Owners Club

Stomps: Dealing with Dynamics

DSCF4203.JPG

Last night took my pedal board to the weekly jam. Set the SD-1 (yellow pedal) at a really low volume - say at about 9 o'clock, yet when I stomped on it, it was incredibly loud. I was playing the H 535 (with the 'f' hole covers) and a hot rod deluxe set at about 2 or 3 at the most; and the volume on the H 535 set at about 5/or 6 /or 7. What am I doing wrong here? And yet, when I stomped on the super plex (purple), set at high gain, that was at a much lower level than the SD 1- which I use for low gain/cruch.

there's a lot to figure out about controlling the volume, while playing out, with others. At home, everything goes smoothly, then you use an amp that your not used to, hooking up your pedal board to it, and a whole new set of issues. At least the H 535 isn't squealing like crazy anymore -feedback's under control.

What are you all doing to manage your volume changes, here and there - volume pedal? Guitar pots?

DSCF4203.JPG

Last night took my pedal board to the weekly jam. Set the SD-1 (yellow pedal) at a really low volume - say at about 9 o'clock, yet when I stomped on it, it was incredibly loud. I was playing the H 535 (with the 'f' hole covers) and a hot rod deluxe set at about 2 or 3 at the most; and the volume on the H 535 set at about 5/or 6 /or 7. What am I doing wrong here? And yet, when I stomped on the super plex (purple), set at high gain, that was at a much lower level than the SD 1- which I use for low gain/cruch.

there's a lot to figure out about controlling the volume, while playing out, with others. At home, everything goes smoothly, then you use an amp that your not used to, hooking up your pedal board to it, and a whole new set of issues. At least the H 535 isn't squealing like crazy anymore -feedback's under control.

What are you all doing to manage your volume changes, here and there - volume pedal? Guitar pots?

Hello Kate, with the on-going issues you are having, it may be worthwhile to take your board in to a trusted music store and show a knowledgeable tech what you have and ask what in your system may be causing your problem. It's difficult to guess without looking at it and seeing the settings. Lets just say that everything in the path that is on, is affecting to overall output. So, if more than one device is on at a time, you may be multiplying your gain.

I've been using a volume pedal as part of my pedal board for years, and it does give a quick way to respond when a button yields a boost/drop that you hadn't expected. (unless you have the time to sound check every single possible effects combination before you play --and when does that ever really happen-- seems that some setting is always going to yield an unexpected change in volume.)

Funny, in the ensemble this semester I've just been going straight to my little Rivera, and using its channel switcher for a lead sound, which was all I really needed, when I even bothered with that, since I was mostly playing clean rhythm parts. However, there was more than one occasion on which I really missed having that volume pedal on the floor cause I needed to tweak my level without breaking the continuity of a part. Especially with a guitar like the tele I was using that had very unbalanced pickups, I just never felt I had the control of volume I needed. So, so much for my little experiment with guitar to amp purity. Never felt like I made smooth transitions from lead to rhythm or from different rhythm sounds. I think from now on the volume pedal is just going to be part of what I take to any relatively high volume playing opportunity. OMMV, of course.

I've been using a volume pedal as part of my pedal board for years, and it does give a quick way to respond when a button yields a boost/drop that you hadn't expected. (unless you have the time to sound check every single possible effects combination before you play --and when does that ever really happen-- seems that some setting is always going to yield an unexpected change in volume.)

Funny, in the ensemble this semester I've just been going straight to my little Rivera, and using its channel switcher for a lead sound, which was all I really needed, when I even bothered with that, since I was mostly playing clean rhythm parts. However, there was more than one occasion on which I really missed having that volume pedal on the floor cause I needed to tweak my level without breaking the continuity of a part. Especially with a guitar like the tele I was using that had very unbalanced pickups, I just never felt I had the control of volume I needed. So, so much for my little experiment with guitar to amp purity. Never felt like I made smooth transitions from lead to rhythm or from different rhythm sounds. I think from now on the volume pedal is just going to be part of what I take to any relatively high volume playing opportunity. OMMV, of course.

I like that set up the best - a 2 channel amp- one set for a dirty lead sound, the other clean for rhythm. I think that until such time as I can afford the amp I want, I'll have to do it this way. It was real weird to have the SD-1 sound really loud,when it's effect level was set so low, a 9 o'clock. I think maybe it doesn't like a hot rod deluxe (as I don't!) :D

Hello Kate, with the on-going issues you are having, it may be worthwhile to take your board in to a trusted music store and show a knowledgeable tech what you have and ask what in your system may be causing your problem. It's difficult to guess without looking at it and seeing the settings. Lets just say that everything in the path that is on, is affecting to overall output. So, if more than one device is on at a time, you may be multiplying your gain.

Well, I'm not one of those girls who has more than 1 dirt pedal on at a time. The only other thing I may have on at the same time is the delay. The wah and the peterson are both true bypass, the delay was at 11 (lower than amp volume).

This may not be much help but, set all your output levels at unity (volume is the same with effect on or off ) then make a mark there on your pedal. This will give you a quick starting point.

With your drive pedals, adjust your gain until you get the tone you want and then bring the volume or "level' back down to unity. This will take a little tweaking as the volume and gain work together. If you have your overall tone and then reduce the volume, you may have to bring the gain back up a bit to keep the same tone.

Once you have everything set you should only need to make minor adjustments after that.

And, all references to volume level and gain I was reffering strictly to your pedals not th3 guitar or amp.

Good luck!

Hey Trouble, thanks a lot man, that's very helpful. I'm also thinking about going to jam spot and asking the owner if I can play around with the amp and my pedals and see if I can get it under control. I was wondering if maybe the SD-1 just didn't like the hot rod deluxe (as I don't) : )

DSCF4203.JPG

Here's a question, when the SD-1 is off, is it true bypass? It sounds to me that anything before the SD-1 is tone sucked/volume sucked until it turns on... That's all I can think of. Bypass the pedal and see what happens.

Here's a question, when the SD-1 is off, is it true bypass? It sounds to me that anything before the SD-1 is tone sucked/volume sucked until it turns on... That's all I can think of. Bypass the pedal and see what happens.

You may be right I was wondering the same thing myself as I'm not familiar with the SD-1. Having it as close to the end of the chain as possible might help but putting it on s true bypass loop would cure the problem if that is the case.

Hey Trouble, thanks a lot man, that's very helpful. I'm also thinking about going to jam spot and asking the owner if I can play around with the amp and my pedals and see if I can get it under control. I was wondering if maybe the SD-1 just didn't like the hot rod deluxe (as I don't) : )

That's a good idea the differences between living room volume and live volume can be tricky without a little practice but I'm sure you'll have it nailed down before long.

Happy to help.

The only two pedals that are not true bypass are the two Boss pedals: SD-1 and the DD-7 delay. I guess I'll just mess with it more. thanks for suggestions, guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will help, but I alway set levels before a gig.. I use a Classic 30 on clean,first my 535 goes into a Dunlop Crybaby wah, into An Ibanez TS-9 with the gain about half and post fairly low for a bit of bluesy crunch..That goes into a High Gain Tonebone Classic for a slightly louder creamy distortion.. the output is set slightly higher.. then the signal is routed to Small Stone chorus for a bit more fullness on my rhythm tone..It adds a bit of volume as well.. hope this helps and Good Luck Katie!!

Guest HRB853370

DSCF4203.JPG

I have the solution. Get rid of all the fx pedals and just play straight through an amp that overdrives quickly and nicely. Seriously Katy, I don't think I could endure all the stress these effect chains are causing you! I am sure Tulk, KBP, or somebody like that will have great advice for you, but if you look at all the great tonemasters of all time, they used minimal effects to get their signature tone. You have a good, no, great guitar-what does the Hot Rod Deluxe sound like with no fx pedals?

Katy as a fellow lefty one thing to bear in mind is the guitar itself, unless the pots are actual left handed pots wired left handed you are not going to have as much control as with a fully lefty wired guitar.

My Larrivee RS-4 uses left handed pots wired for true lefty operation, plus the knobs are also numbered in reverse for correct use. Most of my other electrics use some combination of right handed pots wired lefty, in which case the controls have a very narrow range of use and act more or less like an on off switch with very imprecise control, or rh pots wired right handed which function normally but in reverse :aggressive_mini:

Either way the numbers on the controls are backwards and counter intuitive, which is why I gave up on using them a long time back. When I gigged, back in pre history, I used a volume pedal, a simple passive model, and set my pickups up so that the bridge pu'p was always a little louder for a quick volume boost in a solo.

Southpaw guy - yes, I've discovered that recently. Even Heritage wired the pots for rightey - but alas, I've gotten used to their direction (clockwise-more, counter, less). As one who grew up playing a telecaster. What I have a hard time getting used to on the Heritage guitars is the direction of the tuning pegs.

@ Skinslammer - your solution would be a good one if I had the $ to buy my own amp which worked properly. The hot rod deluxe that I deal with each week has no foot switch, therein lies the main problem with volume conrol, because it has 3 channels, the light indicater is broken and I never know what channel I'm in, and that's how the loud volume boosts/feedback happens. Luckly on my upcoming gig, I'll be using a Fender Twin, which I believe will be much more straightforward.

Maybe it's just cause I have my stomps dialed in. Maybe it's cause I play the same amp, at a fairly constant volume level. Maybe it's cause I cycle through about two guitars. Maybe it's cause I play in church, but dialing in stomps isn't rocket science. Do it BEFORE the gig - during sound check/set up. What trouble said about setting the gain, and then the level for unity is excellent - though I usually set mine for a slight boost. Putting a mark on the pedal is a great idea as well. I sometime find a minor tweak once we start playing is necessary, but only minor. Now I will say some boxes just don't work with my rig - they get lost in the mix. The one that most comes to mind is the Fulldrive II - sounded great by itself, but playing with the band I couldn't hear myself, it just got lost in the mix. The Fuchs Plush Drive also did this. Also some boxes have really quirky volume pots that just come on too quick - the new Menatone Blue Collar comet to mind - at 8:30 on the volume you can barley hear hear anything and by 9:00 o'clock it's tearing your head off! I love stomp boxes - the list of great tones that were created using stomp boxes is too long to list here. My current pedal board is: Teese Picture Way -> Red Witch Moon Phaser -> Lovepedal Amp Eleven -> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive -> Lovepedal Eternity -> Freakish Blues Alpha Drive -> Fulltone ChoralFlange -> Strymon El Capistan -> Amp.

You could get a pedal switcher that basically is a bunch of little effects loops. You also might want to consider getting a buffered pedal to put in front of the effects which can help drive them and eliminate interactions between the guitar electronics and the pedals.

Hey TBone,

thanks for the suggestion. the wah pedal, first in chain, is buffered. the rest are true bypass except for 2, that I intend to replace. will be noting where unity is, and considering a volume pedal. there's some clash between the wah and the high gain, but that seems common, and am hoping as I get rid of the buffered pedals before the high gain pedal, that may help the situation some.

Archived