Heritage Owners Club

Orange Amps

I've always wanted one - but. Like every manufacturer out there, they have heavenly models and eh models. I haven't read the article so I'm still lost and wanting...

Thank you for the link! :icon_thumright:

The article just makes things worse for me. I had no idea how many little extras go into orange amps. Cabinet wood thickness, depth, skids.. Oh, and the extras going into the amp itself... I know I've mentioned before how much I rather enjoy the tiny Terror.

Guest HRB853370

I had no idea that Orange amps had been around so long (what did I miss growing up?) until I saw an old black and white photo of Cream with Clapton playing through some Orange stacks.

So where did they originate and made, and where are they made now? I bet the original company was bought out years ago and now they are probably made in Korea or China, like everything else?

Orange experts?

I had no idea that Orange amps had been around so long (what did I miss growing up?) until I saw an old black and white photo of Cream with Clapton playing through some Orange stacks.

So where did they originate and made, and where are they made now? I bet the original company was bought out years ago and now they are probably made in Korea or China, like everything else?

Orange experts?

I'm not an Orange expert, but I can say that they make amps and cabinets in England (where they started) and have lower cost lines made in China and Korea. Supposedly they make some of the cabinets to be sold in the US in the US...

I just tried the 50 watt tube head and 412 cab in a GC in Miami last week. I have to say I was disappointed in the tone (for my taste). Is wasn't a warm sound like I was hoping for, more of a hollow tone. Very midrangy. I kind of like the dirty but not the clean tones. Then I plugged in to a Fender Blues Jr. and preferred the tone. Not as much power there. I'm trying to find an old 50 watt tube Ampeg Reverbrocket 112 combo. I saw one but did not try it and now wish I had for comparison.

Just my taste, not for everyone.

Orange experts?

Some stuff that comes out of China is occasionally good, like my epi half stack jr - they were crap when they first came out, but subsequently improved upon.

I once heard and Orange 50 watt Rockerverb played very loudly, high gain with a strat and the sounds were heavenly, but like NoName, I played a TT recently and was not overwhelmed with the sound. I guess after having demo'd a Carr Amp, Tone K.Metro and Two Rock Gain Master, and lately a Twin Reverb, my ears are fairly well spoiled. The challenge is to get great tone AND high gain in the same amp, and I'm not sure such a beast exists; but the Two Rock Gain Master comes the closest for me, if I had the bucks.

I once heard and Orange 50 watt Rockerverb played very loudly, high gain with a strat and the sounds were heavenly, but like NoName, I played a TT recently and was not overwhelmed with the sound. I guess after having demo'd a Carr Amp, Tone K.Metro and Two Rock Gain Master, and lately a Twin Reverb, my ears are fairly well spoiled. The challenge is to get great tone AND high gain in the same amp, and I'm not sure such a beast exists; but the Two Rock Gain Master comes the closest for me, if I had the bucks.

SLO... :icon_biggrin:

One of my eldest amps. It STILL puts a smile on my face :icon_biggrin:

Though, I would enjoy making her jealous for a while with an old Orange

I just tried the 50 watt tube head and 412 cab in a GC in Miami last week. I have to say I was disappointed in the tone (for my taste). Is wasn't a warm sound like I was hoping for, more of a hollow tone. Very midrangy. I kind of like the dirty but not the clean tones. Then I plugged in to a Fender Blues Jr. and preferred the tone. Not as much power there. I'm trying to find an old 50 watt tube Ampeg Reverbrocket 112 combo. I saw one but did not try it and now wish I had for comparison.

Just my taste, not for everyone.

You mean the Rockerverb?

I really don't like it. The Dual Terror is killer though and, from what I've heard, the Rocker 30 was pretty cool before it was discontinued. A 30w EL34 amp....how cool is that?

I really like Orange amps, but not really enough to buy one. I like that it does the British thing, I just think that Marshall does it better.

Guest HRB853370

I personally like the Tiny Terror Series. Can't believe its made in China... But then again, so is the Marshall Haze series.. :icon_puke_l:

And so are Blackstars...

And so are Blackstars...

Korea, not China.

We're all trying to save our own economies, even they are, but don't let the 'Made In' sticker put you off trying out a fantastic range of amps.

Archived